1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Playbook Analysis & Discussion

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Mr2Hos

Mr2Hos Member

coaching problem

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good job HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Glad you finally got this thread started - I told you we needed it ;)

3. loveofthegame44

Do you think Mchale's offensive philosophy is shaped by what Morey finds through his statistical data? ie. corner 3's and layups are the most efficient way to score. Or are we playing with pace and volume 3s because of the personnel? I remember hearing when Mchale got hired hearing something about Mchale being flexible I thought it was because of the Chris Finch situation but did it have more to do with a style of play? I wonder why we never run pin downs for harden or plays they used for kmart using the double screen and let harden curl for a mid range shot?

4. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Well, out of curiosity I went back and looked what the Rockets were doing.

6 Minutes to go - HOU 86 DAL 93 - all offensive possessions:

1-2 high p+r Lin scores
    Lin then steal the outlet pass, passes to Harden who gets fouled on a 3-pointer
    2-5 high p+r Harden misses wide open layup
    1-2 high p+r Lin draws shooting foul
    1-2 high p+r Lin makes 3-point jumper
    1-2 high p+r Lin (unnecessarily) picks up the ball instead of going for the re-screen after the initial pick&roll broke down -> Harden misses jumper off Iso
    Timeout HOU
    McHale draws up a nice SOB play for Harden, who draws the shooting foul
    1-2 high p+r Lin draws shooting foul
    Timeout DAL
    1-2 high p+r Mavs adjust by now switching the pick&roll, leading to blocked shot of a Harden Iso
    Timeout HOU
    1-2 high p+r Lin goes away from screen (possibly by design), Lin draws shooting foul
    38 seconds to go -- HOU down 1 -- two-for-one situation off a DAL miss - Harden pushes the ball, gets to the basket off scramble play, misses contested layup - HOU lose ball foul, 25 seconds to go - HOU 98 DAL 99

Perhaps McHale could have drawn up a better SOB plays down 3 and down 5, but I don't see how you can question any of the play-calling down the stretch. The Rockets either scored or got a good look on 6/8 off our half-court possessions. The sets they were going to were working.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

"Down the stretch" was not the problem last night. The problem was giving up a 19-0 run in the first qtr. Those points count in the finally tally

6. javajam

javajam Contributing Member

7. loveofthegame44

How would you characterize OKC's offense. Obviously their talent is way better but how do they space the floor with Ibaka and Perkins on the floor with their two perimeter stars.( I don't think Sefalosha is a knock down 3 point shooter either).

8. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

18.4 fast break points and 105.4 total per gMe.

9. split41

split41 Member

Thanks, HMMMM. I did notice a lot of PnRs when watching the game, but can't re-watch games, so this breakdown is really useful.

I can't rep, so I'll just say thanks for the thread. This thread is so good, I hope it keeps getting updated.

10. teebone21

teebone21 Member

nba live 95 playbook.

11. HMMMHMM

Today I'm going to highlight the 1-2 (PG-SG) Pick-and-Roll, which the Rockets have gone to on a pretty regular basis lately.

It's quite simple, really. 1-2 Pick-and-Roll up top, shooters in both corner and the big making himself available somewhere on the baseline near the basket.

[​IMG]

(Long post -- click on the spoiler to continue reading.)
    It's a play that works pretty well for the Rockets, because Harden -- unlike the Rockets' PFs -- is a major scoring threat. You can't give him much space or he'll burn you.
    Also, guards aren't used to being the help defender in the pick&roll, so naturally you face a less sound pick&roll coverage.

I'm fairly certain neither of the pick&roll coverages below are taught, nor what the opposing team's coach had in mind.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Aot5Z2q64_o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EVFGtpE_I-g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Some teams have tried to "jam" ("squeeze") the pick&roll.
    Squeezing is a pick&roll coverage teams go to if the screener is a great player/shooter and the ball handler is not much of a threat, especially not from the outside.
    The guy defending the screen simply jams and stays with his man, while the player defending the ball-handler goes under the screen.
    This has rarely worked for opposing defenses, because Lin quite simply is to quick and will get in the paint pretty much at will.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/A3O2UPvCoFw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UvLyMXzER8E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Two nights ago the Mavs tried to go "up and under" (show/hedge and under"), which is a coverage that gives a little more respect to the ball-handler. You still worry about the screener first and foremost, but you try to take away penetration if at all possible.

The first time the Mavs did this Marion hedged rather softly, allowing Lin to still turn the corner and get the basket:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WcS46KZL9p4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The next possession Marion showed a bit "harder", but at this point Lin was feeling it and with Collison going under, Lin could step right into the 3.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EHxvwWduGcs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Obviously, Lin won't get to the basket or hit a 3 every time and there may be merit to go to "hedge and under" every now just to mix it up, however the coverage that has been most effective (if my eyeballs don't betray me) is a simple switch.
    This makes sense, because if teams switch the Rockets end up isolating Harden somewhere between free-throw line and top of the key pretty much every single time.
    Now, while Harden is not at his best in isolations, you still will get a decent look every now and then.
    Some players won't always be on the same page and properly switch:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pPnwutuJVK0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Others won't be sound and gamble/go for the steal:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yO47gFw61FU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Or be overly physical/physically outmatched:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/p7MSoEsjfzg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And sometimes sound defense won't get the job done either:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2e34V9DZg7s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You can also do things like counter by going away from the screen, trying to catch the defense off guard.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fTAO6YgMs_Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/X-0n2lBEa3Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Coincidentally Lin is one of the best PGs in the league at doing so.
    (Small sample size, but Lin was #1 in the league ahead of Durant for a while last year. I don't know where he ranks now, but he does pass the eyeball test in that regard. Mine, anyway.)

Still, going away from the screen will only work so often and isolation Harden is not what the Rockets are or at least should be looking for. Isolated up top his options are very much limited and more often than not the end result is a contested 2-point jump shot, which we know is a shot the Rockets want to avoid taking.

So given that the 1-2 Pick-and-Roll is something that generally has worked well for the Rockets whenever teams haven't switched, they would do well incorporating another wrinkle or two to either avoid the switch or at least getter higher quality looks off the switch.

EDIT: Just noticed I can't edit the OP to update the play-index. Maybe Clutch or one of the mods can help me out there, if at all possible. :)

1 person likes this.
  12. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

great job again...HMMMMM

13. conquistador#11

"Still, going away from the screen will only work so often and isolation Harden is not what the Rockets are or at least should be looking for. Isolated up top his options are very much limited "

The coaching staff will adjust*

*20 games from now :(

14. HMMMHMM

This is probably a bad time to highlight anything the Rockets are doing... but I'll do so anyway.

Today, the Rockets' Baseline out of Bounds ("BOB" or "BLOB") set they probably most often go to:

[​IMG]

It starts off in a 1-4 flat formation. The big on line with the inbounder releases high, the inbounder (usually Harden) passes him the ball and then proceeds to set a flex screen for the guy standing in the near-side corner, who cuts through. As the flex screen gets set, the big with the ball up top passes the ball to the other big who releases high himself. This big then looks to hit the corner man cutting through for a quick hitter under the basket, which if successful would look like this:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/duBU73zAPT0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

(Click "Show spoiler" to continue reading)

Immediately after passing it to the other big, the now weakside big screens for the flex screener, who can either pop out for a quick jumper or curl off the pindown towards the paint.
    This generally will collapse the defense one way or another and enable guy coming off the curl to make some sort of pass to the open man.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9pXF58aL6D0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ut4vTCtlnUg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/36_haSlIWUM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If the defense is somehow taking away the pindown/curl option like the Sixers do in the clip below, the ball gets swung back to the other big again, who looks to hit the weakside corner, who's getting screened free by the guy cutting through off the flex screen.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/r7E-paIQXqc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If that pass is not available, you can post-up or isolate the inbounder or go to some kind of handoff/two-man game.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sqP5_og7lcg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pretty solid set by coach McHale.
    Easy to run, various options to go to, ball and players are moving, Harden is put in a position to make plays. Can't ask for much more.

15. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

Great post.

Isn't it funny that whenever we go to high screens or a Harden&Lin PNR that we score so effectively?

Why does is still remain a mystery to McHale who would prefer we run most of our offensive sets through the elbows. Our half-court sets last few games have been PF sitss at corner 3 or sets a screen for the SF/SG who will collect at the elbow. C sits in the block. SG and SF on opposing elbows. PG hands it off to SG and sits in the corner. If it's Harden it's an ISO, otherwise it's Parsons or Delfino initiating the offense.

Please, pray tell, do we have Delfino and Parsons handling the rock so much in our sets?

Why do we have two slashing PGs who do not have a great 3-point shot camping in the corner 3?

Harden was in a shooting slump, so against Minnesota we just run Harden isolations and elbow sets?

16. andersongo

andersongo Member

The Rockets should abandon the whole 3-pointer/lay-up only offense. Those shots are the most efficient but only as long as they are not the only shots. More diversity is required: more screens, more off the ball movements ( back-door cuts, etc ) and a solid mid-range game when opposing teams gives up the rebound to force half-court play. More importantly the team need a major front court as currently the latter consist of:

(1) Asik = solid defensive anchor who dominates on the board. However he is a complete non-entity on offense. People who tends to highlight the fact that Asik has butterfingers usually are labelled as "LOF" when they are doing nothing but highlighting a fact. Asik can't catch and his defender (when teams bother to assign a guy on him) sags off him and double-teams the ball handler. Can't PNR, can't post-up and can't dunk. Stats-killer

(2) Patterson = Can't rebound, can't box out, can't put opposing PF on their asses, no-post-play and sucks at three-point shooting. The only player in the league that runs a reverse PNR: sets a BS screen and rolls to the three point line.

(3) Morris = Not a power forward, not even a small forward.

(4) D-MO = The great euro hope. Can't rebound, does not know how to box out. Apparently has great post-play while being softer than Patterson, lmao.

(5) Smith: The closest thing to a real big man with big man skills that the rockets actually possess. Foul machine though.

With virtually no support from the front-court players, the back-court is tasked with carrying the offense. And a gimmicky, hero-ball offense at that. Basically, the ball-handler will have the following options:

(1) ISO play 1: jab-step 10x and jack-up a brick

(2) Pass the ball to the three-point line hugging PF for the brick

(3) ISO play 2: Call for a screen in jest to confuse opponents (" why is he calling for a screen when the Rockets don't do screens?") and then drive to the hoop 3 on 1 to get blocked and swatted. It does not matter though, as the important thing is that the ball handler remains "aggressive".

(4) Pass to Asik, wide open at the baseline for the turn-over

(5) Pass to whoever of Lin, Douglas or Beverly spotting up at the corner three for the brick.

(6) Special play 1: Asik high pick = much laugh and giggles for defenders

(7) Special play 2: Patterson reverse PNR

1 person likes this.
  17. HMMMHMM

I'm just speculating here, but I think the Rockets may not like going to the 1-2 pick&roll as much early in the game, because it tends to slow the game down and stagnate the offense. Other players aren't involved as much and as I pointed out, depending on the defensive coverage, it often results in a Harden ISO.

Yup. Having the (usually) trailing big set a down screen for the one the wings is one of the things the Rockets like to do to initiate the offense. I actually like it as a wrinkle every now and then, but you probably are right that's it's something they may have be going to often lately.
    Now, there are some more options out of this action and at times the execution simply has been sloppy, however the ball does tend to get "sticky" if the initial play breaks down, so that's something the coaches will have to address.
    Again, though, there often is a play to made that simply does not get made. Better execution by the players will be key going forward.

Again I'm speculation, but I think it has as much to do with Asik as it does with Lin honestly. Asik sets very good screens, but he basically presents no roll threat whatsoever, making it tough to run an effective offense through Lin and Asik pick&rolls.
    Harden is one of the best players in the league splitting the defense in screen&roll coverage and unlike Lin he's a big time shooting threat, so your options just aren't quite as limited and more importantly you don't rely on Asik the roll man as much.
    Of course Harden would also be better off the ball than Lin and by putting Lin in the corner you obviously aren't using him to his strengths. Bottom line, it's not ideal either way.
    Now, I do think the Rockets should utilize Lin as ball handler more and I would like McHale go back to staggering Lin and Harden's minutes, perhaps even in a way that enables you to play Lin whenever Greg Smith is on the floor.

That said, Lin just needs to be more assertive/confident. I think oftentimes he's hurting the offense more by deferring and not taking shots than he would be by simply missing shots. It just sucks the life out your offense if you have an open shot and don't take it.

I don't love directly going to a match-up and isolate or post-up somebody who excels elsewhere (pick&roll) myself either. I think it's fine every now and then, but I (too) would prefer the Rockets to attack mismatches of some kind of action, especially when Harden isn't shooting it well.

18. ausbear

ausbear Member

our playbook is:

Harden 1 VS 5

19. SirKen

SirKen Member

This is really going to be a short thread, isn't it?..

20. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

I agree that the 1-2 PNR shouldn't be utilised too extensively for those same reasons, but I think it's disingenuous to be utilising Delfino and Parsons in a facilitating role so much with the elbow sets because to be frank, they're both not very good in those roles, and it's shown in how awful our half-court offense has been.

Further, it has led to a lot of inefficient Harden ISOs which basically means everyone else is stagnate anyway and it also marginalises the role of our PG and PF putting them out of position.

Agreed. Those elbow sets should be run more frequently when Douglas is on the floor. He's our best 3-point shooter so I don't understand why it's so frequently run with Lin or Beverley (whose numbers suggest he's also not a good 3-point shooter).

I also don't understand why Parsons isn't used more frequently off-ball but is instead regularly initiating, he's great at moving off-ball and has a decent jump-shot but instead facilitates when his handles are weak. Or why Delfino is used when he's a gunner and is also prone to making bad passes, like the 3 consecutive turnovers he had against Dallas.
    Agreed. Some fault rests with him, but he's clearly being put in a role that marginalises his strengths and plays to his weaknesses while his rotational minutes are erratic, losing out earlier to Douglas and now Beverley while being pulled at the standard rest intervals even if he's playing well.

Like the Timberwolves game when they had D-Leaguers in their front-court so Patterson and Asik should have been given opportunities in the post but instead McHale tried to go small?