1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets pick up option on Patterson and Morris. Aldrich Awaits.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Oct 30, 2012.

1. eman

eman Contributing Member

Might be better to make this a contract year for Aldrich, and see how he plays.

2. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I can't believe the Rockets picked up Morris' option and not Aldrich. A backup center has far more value than a tweener PF/SF that we don't need.

3. jaxwithanx

jaxwithanx Member

Interesting that some people are still interested in Morris. So he has a better attitude....awesome.

Is his game any better? Not really. Then I don't care.

4. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

The only problem with THAT approach is that, under the CBA rules, if a team declines a team option on a rookie scale option, the player becomes an UNRESTRICTED free agent and the team is then CAPPED at offering that player as a free agent only up to the option amount originally declined.

Using Aldrich as an example, if the Rockets decline his option and then he goes on to have a very good season, the Rockets would only be able to offer Aldrich a deal starting at $3.25 million. If another team swoops in with a more lucrative deal, there is no way for the Rockets to match/beat it.

That said, I have a feeling that 2013 cap room will take priority over retaining rights to Cole Aldrich beyond this season.

5. smuduffy

smuduffy Member

unless Aldrich is better than Greg Smith, which it seems to me he isn't. I'm with those that believe all the work with Greg Smith has finally paid off. I admit I know very little on Aldrich, so I can't really compare the two, but Smith seems like a legit backup that we already have for cheap. No need for two, especially if you are thinking about getting one next year. You also have Donuts and although he isn't technically a center, he might not ever play if we have a legit backup C with Patterson/Jones in place at the 4.

6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Aldrich makes more money, has been in the league longer, has just joined the organization, and has proven about as much as Morris has in the NBA.

7. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Third year option of Morris is cheaper, and it's easier to trade with one more year at team option.

Besides Rockets knew it's gonna take time for tweener to transition, and Morris is showing progress.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I think the Rockets can have something like $13.6 M of cap room even with Alrich's option picked up (by waiving their non-guaranteed guys Smith, Machado and Delfino). This is plenty of room to make any moves. If they need more, guys like Patterson, Morris, the rookies and Aldrich himself can go in a trade.

Also, I don't think the Rockets front office thought much of Jordan Hill's talent-- good rebounder, but mistake prone and too skinny-- never was very effective. The Rockets were pretty consistently better when he was off the court during his time here.

Aldrich at least is a real C with a real C body (a pretty big deal) and has not proven to be horrible.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Perhaps they're planning on using him for a deal before or at the deadline, and the potential target team(s) has a real need for cap space, ala the Thunder. The team that gets him can try him out. If they think he has value, they try to sign him. If not, they got a rental for half a season and get the cap room. Which may be exactly what Morey's going to do.

10. juicystream

If Aldrich lives up to being worth more than $3.25M, the team will trade him by the deadline.

11. juicystream

Hill was worth his option, they only turned it down for the cap space.

He doesn't play, which is enough for me to think he probably isn't very good. They can get there with his option, but it becomes harder. $13.6M isn't plenty of room if you are looking at offering a max deal. We have replace the guys we are cutting somehow.

12. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I thought they declined Hill's option because of what they saw his second year, where he actually regressed. TWill, Thabeet, and Hill all had their options declined. Was that to maintain cap flexibility or because of their play? The front office really hasn't had a chance to evaluate Alrich at all.

13. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

But keep in mind that the team to which Aldrich is traded would be subject to the same limitation on being able to re-sign him. That could hurt his trade value.

The Lakers faced this situation with Jordan Hill. Fortunately(?) for them, Hill didn't quite play well enough to totally price himself out of his option amount range, so the Lakers managed to lock him up on a multi-year deal starting at Hill's fourth-year option amount.

14. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

They have actually had Aldrich play for 45 minutes of every hour since the trade was finalized in order to fully evaluate him. They'll know by the deadline (if he's still alive)

15. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

If we extend him, I think it points to him being the primary backup to Omer over Smith. If we don't extend him, it would appear he is stuck in dleague and used as an expiring contract for trade purposes unless he really lights it up in dleague and somehow works his way into the lineup here.

16. bongman

bongman Member

Maybe, just maybe... this is an indication that Morris has dramatically improved? Too bad we did not get to see a lot of him during pre-season.

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I guess the question is would Aldrich the expiring contract be worth more than Aldrich the player for two seasons at 3.2 mil next year?

Cole had a nice pre-season in comparison to the past two seasons in OKC, but there is no indication as to whether or not he is that much if at all, an upgrade to Greg Smith & some small ball lineups going forward.

Plus, given the Rockets history of picking up options vs. capspace for iffy rotation players is almost always 99% of the time to decline their option and offer them as expirings at the trade deadline. I dont see Cole being a slam dunk NBA player by any stretch.

DECLINE, play to boost value, and trade in February.

Who knows, maybe you can work out a way to get a 1st rounder for him like they did with Jordan Hill.

18. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed with this. The other difference is, Hill's contract as an expiring was valuable to the Rockets for trade purposes. This year, we're already well under the cap - we don't need to use expirings pick up dead weight, we can do it directly.

Aldrich's value as a true center is a big differentiator relative to Hill. If they think he's capable of being a 10-15 minute backup center, that 3 million is pretty much the going rate.

19. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Granted. However, Aldrich is a 7-footer with a 7'4" wingspan and a reputation as a good defender with soft hands. Morris, on the other hand, ... has a twin brother.

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The Rockets have a good idea about where Morris' development is right now-- after a rather bad first season, he was with the team for a lot of summer workouts and he is said to have been much improved. They have a much limited amount of info on where Aldrich stands. I am not sure they have decided already on him now... maybe they wanted to wait for they've seen as many practices as possible, maybe they are calling around the league to gauge interest in him in a potential trade (either now or sometime down the lne).