1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Performance Compared to All Young Teams Historically (Overachieving Possibly?)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shroopy2, Dec 17, 2012.

1. logggur

logggur Member

It makes sense that older teams win more simply because there's going to be a pretty high correlation of age with effectiveness as a player. Basically, older guys stay in the league because they're good.

The average career length in the nba is about 5 years and a lot of guys come into the league around 22 years old. You notice the lower win teams seem to drop off a lot at around an average age of 27-28, meaning basically every player on that team was good enough to have an above average career length.

1 person likes this.
  2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Really good work, Shroopy2... Daryl gave it a nod and passed along where the Rockets rank historically given their youth.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Future is bright. We R 3rd best tm as young or younger than we are(&lt;24.5 yrs),only recent OKC tms&amp;09Tblzers better (HT @<a href="https://twitter.com/kpelton">kpelton</a>&amp;@<a href="https://twitter.com/clutchfans">clutchfans</a>)</p>&mdash; Daryl Morey (@dmorey) <a href="https://twitter.com/dmorey/status/281104621580197890" data-datetime="2012-12-18T18:32:19+00:00">December 18, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

1 person likes this.
  3. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

i think it was Walt Frazier or Mike Been that said the Rockets are a fun team to watch because they're young and like to see them develop

4. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Makes no sense. Everyone gets minor injuries. Are players supposed to sit out the next season for an injury that has a 6-8 week recovery time?

These guys all have great doctors, trainers, and rehab programs. Some players bodies just can't take the punishment of being in the NBA.

Take Yao Ming for example. His breakdown was inevitable. The only way he could have stayed healthy was to not play basketball.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Basketball-reference.com quite handily lists each team by their average age weighed by minutes played, the Rockets in essence tied for 2nd youngest at 24.4 years of age with Charlotte and Cleveland, only behind New Orleans at 24.1.

Below is a table listing all teams by average age and "SRS"-- "Simple Ranking System," which is a type of "power ranking" type of measure that that accounts for margin of victory/defeat and strength of schedule. The average SRS is, by definition, zero. I had posted this table in an earlier thread some time ago, but this is the most updated version:

<style type="text/css">
    table.tableizer-table {
    border: 1px solid #CCC; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
    font-size: 11px;
    }
    .tableizer-table td {
    padding: 4px;
    margin: 3px;
    border: 1px solid #ccc;
    }
    .tableizer-table th {
    background-color: #104E8B;
    color: #FFF;
    font-weight: bold;
    }
    </style>

<table class="tableizer-table">
    <tr class="tableizer-firstrow"><th>Rank</th><th>Team</th><th>Age</th><th>SRS</th></tr>
    <tr><td>1</td><td>New Orleans Hornets</td><td>24.1</td><td>-4.42</td></tr>
    <tr><td>2</td><td>Charlotte Bobcats</td><td>24.4</td><td>-7.93</td></tr>
    <tr><td>2</td><td>Cleveland Cavaliers</td><td>24.4</td><td>-5.43</td></tr>
    <tr><td>2</td><td>Houston Rockets</td><td>24.4</td><td>1.16</td></tr>
    <tr><td>5</td><td>Portland Trail Blazers</td><td>24.7</td><td>-3.23</td></tr>
    <tr><td>6</td><td>Washington Wizards</td><td>25.1</td><td>-7.7</td></tr>
    <tr><td>7</td><td>Golden State Warriors</td><td>25.3</td><td>1.54</td></tr>
    <tr><td>8</td><td>Orlando Magic</td><td>25.3</td><td>-1.89</td></tr>
    <tr><td>9</td><td>Philadelphia 76ers</td><td>25.4</td><td>-3.71</td></tr>
    <tr><td>10</td><td>Detroit Pistons</td><td>25.6</td><td>-3.37</td></tr>
    <tr><td>10</td><td>Toronto Raptors</td><td>25.6</td><td>-5.59</td></tr>
    <tr><td>12</td><td>Sacramento Kings</td><td>25.8</td><td>-5.92</td></tr>
    <tr><td>13</td><td>Oklahoma City Thunder</td><td>26</td><td>9.13</td></tr>
    <tr><td>13</td><td>Indiana Pacers</td><td>26</td><td>-0.65</td></tr>
    <tr><td>15</td><td>Denver Nuggets</td><td>26.1</td><td>1.86</td></tr>
    <tr><td>15</td><td>Milwaukee Bucks</td><td>26.1</td><td>-1.84</td></tr>
    <tr><td>17</td><td>Utah Jazz</td><td>26.5</td><td>0.82</td></tr>
    <tr><td>18</td><td>Memphis Grizzlies</td><td>26.8</td><td>7.15</td></tr>
    <tr><td>19</td><td>Minnesota Timberwolves</td><td>26.9</td><td>0.04</td></tr>
    <tr><td>20</td><td>Phoenix Suns</td><td>27.1</td><td>-3.72</td></tr>
    <tr><td>21</td><td>Atlanta Hawks</td><td>27.3</td><td>2.51</td></tr>
    <tr><td>22</td><td>Chicago Bulls</td><td>28.3</td><td>1.86</td></tr>
    <tr><td>23</td><td>Los Angeles Clippers</td><td>28.4</td><td>8.93</td></tr>
    <tr><td>24</td><td>Brooklyn Nets</td><td>28.9</td><td>2.59</td></tr>
    <tr><td>25</td><td>Dallas Mavericks</td><td>29</td><td>-2.97</td></tr>
    <tr><td>25</td><td>San Antonio Spurs</td><td>29</td><td>7.63</td></tr>
    <tr><td>27</td><td>Boston Celtics</td><td>29.8</td><td>-0.91</td></tr>
    <tr><td>28</td><td>Los Angeles Lakers</td><td>30</td><td>2.63</td></tr>
    <tr><td>29</td><td>Miami Heat</td><td>30.1</td><td>5.79</td></tr>
    <tr><td>30</td><td>New York Knicks</td><td>30.6</td><td>5.87</td></tr></table>

As you can see, the Rockets are the only team among the 7 youngest with a positive SRS. Among the 14 youngest teams in the league, only Houston (tied for 2nd youngest), GSW (8th youngest) and OKC (tied for 13th youngest) have positive SRS.

1 person likes this.
  6. RoxD

RoxD Member

Shroopy2 found out that there's a correlation between team age and W/L success, and you pointed out the reason behind it.

Yes, only the best and fittest players can survive in NBA ==> A player's age does matter a lot.

Both are great posts.

7. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

But you have to consider the league as a whole is younger so those statistics are misleading as it doesnt tell the whole story.

This is a whole other NBA compared to the 80's, this years Rockets teams would get DESTROYED, sonned, pwned, b slapped, its not even close to those rugged, experienced teams back in the day.

8. conquistador#11

shroopy, Some dude named maury? murray? is stealing your research and making posts about it on the twitter world, claims to be a G.M of sorts.

I haven't been this excited about a rockets team since August 08' when we got artest. Because of "basketball reasons" I've been relegated to view the opponent's broadcast teams, even those guys are always impressed at how well they play considering their youth.

9. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>.@<a href="https://twitter.com/jharden13">jharden13</a> is one of only 6 guards under 24 yrs old with 8 or more gms of 25 pts (&lt;=20 FGA), 3 asts, 3 rebs in first 30 starts</p>&mdash; Daryl Morey (@dmorey) <a href="https://twitter.com/dmorey/status/281161622406447105" data-datetime="2012-12-18T22:18:49+00:00">December 18, 2012</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

10. jfbradley1985

jfbradley1985 Member

Did this make anyone else LOL? I think I'm just immature and gross, but oh well, it's human nature.

11. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Really? Cool, thats neat

I'll do more drinking and posting more often

:eek:

( Thanks, Darren Morely! )

12. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Again its just simply wondering through 1/4 of the season so far, how are the Rockets performing relative to young teams in the same situation and experience level?

(And there's plenty season to go, can be a DIP in play later. Maybe Rockets just get 32 wins ... though for draft pick purposes its still a benefit. Which is what a rebuild is about)

The league is actually OLDER NOW by average age. It was mentioned in that old article.

Its counter-intuitive cuz players then used to come into the league older from college, compared to 1-and-dones now. But players have more longevity now too. A lot more Kurt Thomas, Grant Hill types sticking around.

But its probably a little bit of both really. Its the usual Haves and Have-nots of the league, some decent teams have the older proven talent like Boston and Dallas. And other lower teams are rebuilding/tanking with youth.

Thanks for the numbers. I figured Rockets were weighted a little bit older than the 23.9 I quoted.

I told a friend this version of .500 is less mediocrity treadmill, its actually a "different" .500 because its a young raw inexperienced team doing it with UPSIDE ahead of them.

It still adds up the fact that the Rockets are performing slightly ahead of the expected level. And its better than being BEHIND the curve.

13. Bball_Gill

Bball_Gill Member

Historically, what is in store for decent young teams? Do they evolve into contenders?

I guess the hope is that if you have enough decent young guns, one of them will become a star.

I have nothing against being young, but it sure would be nice to see a Rockets team that could manage better than fifth seed.

14. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

I honestly think we just need a stretch-four like Ilyasova and develop Greg Smith to be our low-post scoring option. Smith might not have exceptional length and height but he is talented.

I haven't seen anybody with hands like that since prime Amare, and he is incredible at finishing.

15. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

ಠ_ಠ

not sure that's the word you're looking for.

16. gwatson86

gwatson86 Contributing Member

I don't want to be a buzz kill or anything, but I honestly feel like there is going to be a serious crash soon. Our schedule has 15 of our next 23 on the road, where we've been pretty bad (3-7) thus far. 14 of those 23 are against the West, against whom we are even worse (3-10).

As happy as I've been with this team's performance to this point (I never thought they'd be over .500 25 games into the season), The next 6 weeks are going to be a real litmus test to see what these guys are truly capable of.

I do hope they continue to prove me wrong, but I expect our record to be somewhere around 21-27 by the end of January, which I think a majority of us would not have been surprised by or dissatisfied with at the start of the season.

#36 gwatson86, Dec 19, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  17. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

So if I read that chart right, this team of Rockets is also at .500 compared to younger teams having success.

18. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

You are correct, unfortunately. And it starts on Christmas day with 4 games in 5 days. If the Rockets are anywhere near .500 in 6 weeks I will view it as an unbelievable victory for the coaching staff and the young players.

19. just a word

just a word Member

:confused:

So once was coincidence but twice was strange, so I went to Urban Dictionary.

Hah, seriously?

That's what they're calling it now?

Try this version, where it means 'to stare wonderingly/stupidly with mouth open". ie. Every single time some number like this comes to my attention I can't help but just stare in wonder a little. :rolleyes: Has this really become an SAT word?

20. just a word

just a word Member

Agreed. I'm actually kind of concerned for Asik's and Parsons' conditioning, Asik in particular and Parsons still dealing with that shoulder. Not to mention Harden's ridiculous minutes; which is why I'm kinda glad that Lin's figuring it out right about now and that Greg Smith and DMo are stepping up. They'll probably be defensive liabilities, but at this stage the offense is humming so nicely that it might not make a difference.