1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets owner Tilman Fertitta tells final hours of Paul, Westbrook deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by YOLO, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Fighting words, here at CF, to question giving that extension to Gordon.

I was hesitant to lock him up, unless they were sure that March 2019-on Gordon was who they were going to get, and then it would be fair value, not good value. My view was in the minority, at the time.

I don't think it was moronic at all, though it may turn out that way.

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Yea you guys are doing what I expected, and shifting blame off of Morey onto the owner. You give him all credit for making good deals, but the bad ones somehow get pinned on everybody else. Doesn't work like that. The Westbrook deal would've instantly worked if we stopped Moreyball and went 7 seconds or less MDA offense. But Morey won't allow anybody getting credit for this team but himself

SemisolidSnake likes this.
  3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

It’s hard to read between the lines without being there. Cause push and veto is different than be the domineering presence that basically does the deals.

see the infamous Vivek Jimmer draft. See Daniel Snyder.

this unfortunately sounds more like the latter than just the ultimate decision maker unfortunately.

gotsis likes this.
  4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

He may not have told Morey he cant go over the tax line at some point .... sure , but you have to realize that they have literally no financial flexibility to take on any salary to exceed the tax line by any substantial amount - They have thrown away a horde of assets to stay below the tax and now have no bullets left in the chamber to make a move.

Think about it , many here are talking about moving Capela , Tucker and EG (even tho he cant be traded this year) to fix the hole at the 3/4 spot. Thats probably not going to increase your odds ... but we have no other options. They all went out the window in ducking the tax line.

The Fact that they haven't used their exceptions (MLE/BAE) the past two seasons should be pretty telling. That's just a waste of assets.

What about the two TPE's about to rot on the vine ? You could have used them individually 90 days or more before the trade deadline so they could be combined at the deadline .... nope.

Ariza > Nothing

Ryno / Melton > BK / Chriss /1st / 2nd > Shumpert > Nothing.

Ennis / 2nd > Nothing.

5. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

What I fear is that Tilman demanded that the trade be completed, and Morey, unwilling to suffer the consequences of what he considered a lopsided deal, postponed the lost picks until he’d be gone. So Tilman got what he wanted, and Morey avoided paying a price he didn’t want to pay, and all of us got stuck with the consequences.

6. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Just imagine. It will actually get worse when he hands off the team to his never-worked-a-day-in-their-life spoiled rich kids.

I'm going on record. January 11 (maybe 10 over in the States) 2020. I predict the Houston Rockets will be turned into a worse franchise than the New York Knicks thanks to the Fertitta family.

7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

NO , that move in itself wasn't the problem at all - They still could have made moves - BIG moves.

The problem was dumping every penny you could to duck the tax and using assets to do so.

Imagine if they had just one of the following contracts remaining on the books , not to mention the picks involved - Ryno , Knight , Shumpert - the moves they could make with that amount of outgoing salary.

There's your problem.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  8. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Tilman has to prove it to me. His public persona is obnoxious, his background dubious and my expectations are low.

CK Johnson likes this.
  9. SemisolidSnake

"I had Daryl on the phone and we were both watching the game (Knicks vs. Raptors)," Alexander explains. "I said, 'He's playing so well. He just scored the tying basket! He's playing great.'

" 'Oh my God, he just scored the winning basket!' I hung up on (Daryl) because I was so angry. That was it. I had to hang up on him."

Ever have your boss hang up on you because he's so pissed he cannot even talk anymore? It can be a little motivating.

At that point, it may have been unspoken. It's hard to say anything to a dial tone after all — which is all Morey had in his ear. But it was clear. The Rockets would be going after Jeremy Lin as soon he became a restricted free agent.

"We were going after Lin no matter what," Morey says later on Jeremy Lin Day in Houston, the day the reject reborn as a $25.1 million player is introduced in front of a media throng not seen around the Rockets since . . . well, ever.

(Source)

Jontro likes this.
  10. macan

macan Member

good times.

11. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Poor man wanna be rich, rich man wanna be king.

12. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

Morley has been quiet and in hiding ever since the tweet. Before you would see him everywhere or talking in various podcasts.
    And we need to trade Tillman cheaparse

Jontro likes this.
  13. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

This move helped lock up Harden in his prime. I'm not crying.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

You trade Paul for Westbrook 10/10

He is just that much better than Paul.

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Hate on Tilman all you want, and there is plenty to hate on, but Morey still has a job. Not many bosses would keep you around if you cost the companies millions. Morey may end up gone regardless but I'll be patient with Tilman since this is his first year with full control.

16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The Westbrook trade is the least of the issues honestly. Didn't like the trade, still don't like it, but the core of this team is still title worthy.

Failing to take back tradeable salary with Westbrook and using multiple picks to make Andersons tradeable salary vanish is the truly aggravating thing. The fact that he is cutting financial corners and actively hindering the team in a major way in the midst of an extremely legit title window (which are absurdly difficult to create for any team besides the Lakers) is downright terrifying.

He's gonna fire Morey and Harden is gonna get old, and we are in for very dark days. He has all of Dolan's incompetence without the willingness to spend, so it's gonna get ugly.

Invisible Fan and dmoneybangbang like this.
  17. Newlin

Newlin Member

When Tilman purchased the team, did anyone expect him to be a silent owner? Tilman always thinks he’s the smartest guy in the room. Maybe he is the smartest guy in the room. Time will tell.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

No this is not his first year with full control. Last year was. He came in and sat and watched morey build a 60 win team the year before that

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

Harden was already locked up in his prime. Rockets didn’t need this move for that

pippendagimp and Jontro like this.
  20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

and you never b**** about the owner whod had 2 rings by now if not for adam silver machinations so obvious that even a huge rockets hater such as reggie miller cried about unfair officiating harming rockets