1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets or Magic, which team is better positioned moving forward?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Aug 10, 2012.

?

Rockets or Magic, which team is better postition moving forward?

1. Houston Rockets

486 vote(s)
    97.0%
  2. Orlando Magic

15 vote(s)
    3.0%
  1. carayip

carayip Member

If this is your theory, shouldn't the Bobcats have a brighter future than every franchise in the league?

2. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

I don't understand why Patrick Paterson takes such a beating around here. Yeah, he didn't have a great season last year but I don't think I'm ready to give up and say he's just some second rate bench player yet either.

Terrence Jones and Royce white are key assets while PPat is an "other asset" but PPat is a probable rotation guy at PF and Terrance Jones doesn't even show up?

Here's to hoping that PPat makes everyone feel silly for doubting him next season.

3. mattrbowers

mattrbowers Member

Wow .... Just .... Wow. I expected this poll to be pretty one sided ... But JEEZ!

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Orlando will get better picks. With Kmart we will be stuck too high to really get better.

5. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I listed him as "other asset" because of the way he played last season. If any of the rooks show little to nothing this coming season then they would fall out of the "key asset"category IMO. Both he and Morris could move up if they play well enough this coming season.

6. RyanB

RyanB Member

Rockets in long term

7. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

Gotcha, I guess you're assuming, that Dallas will not be a top 10 team until past 2017. Ok, see I figured all they would need is to spend a little bit of cash and they could be scrappy enough to be a top 10 team. But ok, assuming it's definitely going to be a lottery pick then yeah I agree, it's much better than anything Orlando got in this deal

8. crash5179

Yeah that's pretty much exactly what I'm thinking. Dirk is 34 and appeared to be declining last season. There are lots of old guys on that team and nothing of real value to use as trade bate. While the Mavs could certainly sneak back into the top 10 of the NBA, I think there is a far better chance of us getting their unprotected pick in 2017.

9. zxcvbn193

zxcvbn193 Member

It's easy. Ours. We got full of young talented players and look like OKC, they got old players and bad contracts and look like Detroit Pistons with no future. There shouldn't be even a question.

10. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Huh? Seems to me like it's the other way around. Look for Orlando to contend for worst record in the league next year, while the Rockets battle for the 8th seed. That alone could give Orlando a "better position moving forward".

11. crash5179

If the youngest tean in the NBA is contending for the 8th seed in the play-offs then the Rockets future will be very very bright. That would not be mediocre, that would be light years ahead of schedule for such a young team.

12. TheFreak

^^ Doesn't work that way in the NBA. Sorry.

13. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

The pick becomes unprotected in 2018. Dirk comes off the books in 2014, and Cuban has four years to figure out a plan after that. I think there's a less than 5% chance he allows a division rival to end up with a really high lottery pick. Cuban is known for screwing us over...

14. crash5179

Yes it does. You should watch more NBA.

The Thunder / Sonics had a couple of sub 30 win seasons with Durant and Westbrook before their 1st 50 win season

The Cavs had a 32 and 42 win season with LeBron before having their 1st 50 win season.

The Mavs with Dirk, Steve Nash and Micheal Finnely had a 19 & 40 win season before their 1st 50 win season.

If a team with an average age of about 23 wins 40 games you should be excited because those players are still several years away from their prime.

15. crash5179

Cuban can't do anything about it unless he gets increadably lucky. Dirk wants to retire in Dallas and he will. There is about a 75% chance we get the unprotected pick. Cuban has tried everything to pair up Dirk with another superstar in his aging years with out success. Cubes drafting record has not been very impressive since Big Whistle Don Nelson left the organization.

I think their is at least a 90% chance that the pick from Dallas turns out to be far better than any of the picks Orlando got in the Dwight trade.

Dirk will be on the team beyond 2014.

16. roxxy

roxxy Member

Lol. Kevin Durant in his rookie year OKC won about 20 games. Russ + KD OKC was about 23 games. LBJ rookie season with the Cavs they won 35 games. Crash is right. If we are competing for the 8th seed in a tougher conference... wow fans should be ecstatic. Even if the post season is a first round sweep.

17. ClKent

ClKent Member

Lets assume we go to the playoffs. Who takes us there? Either Jeremy Lin played his butt off or one of the rookies broke out. So there is no losing situation if we suck or if they do better than expected. None. To say there is none is a stretch in any case but I would say at least the bases are covered in most aspects from a well thought out and executed draft to go with flexibility created by Morey.

1 person likes this.
  18. TheFreak

Great. That must mean there's a Dirk/LBJ/Durant on the current Rocket team. So, who is it?

The '00-01 Rockets won 45 games. How did that end up going for them?

19. nono

nono Member

Rockets eternally collecting assets.

20. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

This is my biggest fear. The leader out of the gate will be the team that wins the lottery in the draft next year. Unfortunately I feel better about Orlando's chances to do that than ours. We shall see.