1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets or Lakers?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Da_Spark, Feb 23, 2013.

1. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I agree that we'd have virtually no shot at making it out of the first round. However, making the playoffs in a year with a completely re-tooled roster, one that has only 2 players from last years roster, while also being the youngest team in the league by a good margin, would represent a VERY large accomplishment, and sign of great things to come. That alone should be worth going for.

2. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

I think both are in. Golden State is going to drop out completely.

3. NatrlBornChemis

making the playoffs is necessary for our team....there is no such experience as playof experience...PERIOD!

4. teebone21

teebone21 Member

With delfino at pf we gonna have trouble in next games when opposing bigs start posting him up

5. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

We have an easier schedule the rest of the way and only one b2b game come March. The Lakers have a much tougher schedule coming March. I don't see the Lakers making the playoffs.

We just need to hurry and get the new guys familar with our system. I heard Robinson has a very good motor. If he has half the motor of Faried, i think we will be fine. I just hope Motie gets more playing time from now on.

6. Jet036

Jet036 Member

Many people don't take into account home records vs. away records. There are only 10 teams in the NBA with a better away record than the Wizard's home record - and we're not one of them.

7. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

Based on opponents winning percentage, we've played the TOUGHEST schedule in the NBA.

I've made these types of the threads the last couple of years here, breaking down teams' remaining schedule (and done it for many years when my teams are in playoff races in NFL, MLB and NBA) - only to be let down. I'm not doing it this year in an attempt to not jinx us...lol. Maybe by not making a thread we'll enjoy different results.

For those saying "who cares if we make it or not", that's crazy. Getting playoff experience for the youngest team in the NBA would be invaluable.

Last night's loss hurts big time. But, while I don't agree with Hollinger's 97% chance at making the playoffs, there is definitely still a good shot at them.

There's only TEN road games left (3 of which are back to backs).

There's only three games left versus any of the top three seeds in each conference (SA, Ind and LAC...all at home, none on back to backs).

I've seen a few mentions of GS dropping out. I thought so too. But, in looking at their schedule, I'm not seeing it now. I feel Utah may be the team that just misses. (if we fall out and they barely make it again, I'll lose it).

As much as I hate to say it, it's gonna' be close between us, the hated Jazz and hated Lakers. I could see Utah finishing with 45 wins while we finish tied with LA at 46 (hoping we manage a 47-35 finish - it's been good to us in the past...)

8. Dementium

Dementium Member

You know at the start of the season just finishing at 0.500 would have been a great sign of things to come.

The team is doing that and then some. Just buckle up and enjoy the ride.

personally I don't think Rockets will miss the playoffs. As it stands we are easily a top 10 team.

9. plates300

plates300 Member

Sooner or later, McHale is going to have to start D-Mo, for better or for worse. No way TRob gets to start over D-Mo. Having Delfino come off the bench is perfect for his role.

10. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Houston Rockets Remaining Schedule:

February
    vsMIL win

March
    @ORL win
    vsDAL win
    @DAL loss
    @GSW loss
    @PHO win
    vsPHO win
    vsMIN win
    vsGSW win
    vsUTA win
    vsCLE win
    vsSAS loss
    vsIND win
    @MEM loss
    vsLAC loss

April
    vsORL win
    @SAC win
    @POR loss
    @DEN loss
    vsPHO win
    vsMEM win
    vsSAC win
    @PHO win
    @LAL loss

10-5 in March including 1 win vs MIL(Feb. game), 6-3 in April,
    47-35 overall

LA Lakers Remaining Schedule:

February
    @DEN loss

March:
    vsMIN win
    vsATL win
    @OKC loss
    @NOH loss (off a b2b road games)
    vsTOR win
    vsCHI win
    @ORL win
    @ATL win
    @IND loss
    vsSAC win
    @PHO win
    vsWAS win
    @GSW loss
    @MIN win
    @MIL win
    @SAC win

April
    vsDAL win
    vsMEM win
    @LAC loss
    vsNOH win
    @POR loss
    vsGSW win
    vsSAS loss
    vsHOU win

12-5 in March including 1 loss vs DEN(Feb. game), 5-3 in April,
    45-37 overall

Utah Jazz Remaining Schedule:

February
    vsBOS win (Feb. game)
    vsATL win (Feb. game)

March
    vsCHA win
    @MIL win
    @CLE win
    @CHI loss
    @NYK loss
    vsDET win
    @OKC loss
    vsMEM win
    vsNYK win
    @HOU loss
    @SAS loss
    @DAL loss
    vsPHI win
    vsPHO win
    @POR loss
    vsBKN win

April
    vsPOR win
    vsDEN win
    vsNOH win
    @GSW loss
    vs OKC loss
    vsMIN win
    @MIN loss
    @MEM loss

11-7 in March including 2 wins vs BOS & ATL(Feb. games), 4-4 in April,
    46-36 overall

With my win-loss prediction based on these three teams' remaining schedule here, it shows that the Rockets will finish the season ahead of the Jazz and the Lakers with only 2 games separating the 3 teams. :eek:

I still believe that the Rockets(easiest schedule) and Lakers(if they continue their hot streak) will finish ahead of the Jazz since i only gave the Jazz(really tough sched) a single home loss here (13-1) which would be really tough considering that their remaining 14 home games, 7 of those are vs above .500 teams and 6 of them are playoff teams.

11. Omer

Omer Member

I love how according to Hollinger we have the best odds of making the Finals from the West other than Spurs, Clippers, Thunder.

12. aziankingz

aziankingz Member

Lakers not making playoffs, are you serious? They have Dantoni as their coach!

13. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

#countonkobe

14. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

I'm actually more focused on catching/supassing the Jazz and Warriors than worrying about the Lakers, to be perfectly honest.

15. rocketfaithful

Thankyou! It is like nobody understands the old saying, never look back!

16. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

I was too - until the Wash loss (I know, I know... it's just one game...lol) and LA's recent improved play.

Probably so used to being let down in recent years, it's hard to shake that from the back of my mind.

I think you're end of year projections are just about right. You had 47 wins for Hou (I had 46), 46 wins for Utah (I had 45) and 46 wins for LA (I had 46).

I think Hollinger still has us at 48 wins. Just not sure I can see us going 17-7 the rest of the way. Since the losing streak, we've played WELL and have went just 10-6 - and now will have 2-3 different guys playing in the rotation most likely.

It amazes me that some "don't care" if we make the playoffs just 'cause "we're gonna' get killed in the first round". Just getting the experience of the intensity of the playoffs is huge. Then, with the way we play, there's always the chance of a GS/Dallas type of series with anyone. That series was amazing to watch. (anything can happen - the image of Dikembe laying on the court grasping the ball and so happy is still clear in my mind from that Denver upset). Unlikely, sure. But, still would be awesome and just fun to watch the youngest team in the league compete.

17. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

greater miracles happened in the past so we do have a chance against spurs as well as thunder...what is most important is to be in a good shape right before playoffs time...

18. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

This. Considering how young and inexperienced this team is, a playoff atmosphere experience would be a tremendous bonus for their development. Some may say it doesn't matter if we miss the playoffs given how young our roster is and that we're just in our first year of rebuilding the team but i am 100% sure that most of the fans would be gutted if we somehow don't make it.

19. cytrynowa

cytrynowa Member

I hope the Lakers make it because I can't imagine a more entertaining train wreck than Dwight and Kobe, coached by MDA, in a playoff series.

I hope Rockets are 6th or 7th with Lakers at 8, and the Jazz to completely fall off the face of the Earth.