1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets opted to re-sign Maurice

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Colby, Jul 16, 2001.

1. Colby

Colby Member

From the Sac Bee:
    Houston? Also uncertain about the degree of Webber's interest, the Rockets opted to re-sign Maurice Taylor and trade for rookie Eddie Griffin, and hope to retain Hakeem Olajuwon.

Did I miss something, or did this guy?

------------------
    T-Pooh and Quitten went up the hill,
    to make a bet on a Foreward.
    When it all came down,
    they were nowhere to be found.
    Now they should be drawn and quartered.

[This message has been edited by Colby (edited July 16, 2001).]

2. carlit0

carlit0 Member

The guy is lost, if not the news would be all over the place over here.

------------------
    "Instinctly u recognize things,now take advantage of what u just recognized!".. Hakeem..

3. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

It's a sad day when the posters here on the BBS report the news better then the media. I seriously believe things posted on this BBS before the national media! Man I love this site! [​IMG]

------------------
    "Instruments are like women: After a while, you want to make love to another."

- Nicolas Godin of the musical duo Air

4. Bingo

Bingo Member

Why would Webber be earning subpar salary in HTown. We can pay him a helluvalot more than NY or Indiana or Orlando as of right now. This guy is preety lost, I bet most of our Junior Members could report the news with more accuracy.

------------------
    Mr. President. No man thinks more highly than I of three legged cows. They deserve to live. On my own part, I consider it as nothing less than a question of reason. Cows with three legs are good. We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth : three-legged cows are better. They are better because the meat on them is better. The steaks are more tender. Three-legged cows tend not to wander as much. These cows could be the symbol of our country. The world would look upon us with great respect. They will want our cows and pay good money for them. The cows could symbolize freedom and hard work and three legs are better than four. They are meant for us; they can be meant for no other.

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Sacramento offered him $120 million over 7 years. I'd say what we're offering is sub that par. [​IMG]

------------------
    "I'll tell you this, the older I get, the less I trust people. It's true. It's damn true." -- gr8-1 going through some growing pains.

6. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

After we renounce Hakeem we could offer the same amount and he wouldn't have to pay California's state income tax which means our offer would be worth 9.3% more. Thats $11,493,000 over the life of a $123 million dollar contract.

------------------
    I find my own ignorance amusing

[This message has been edited by Gene Peterson (edited July 16, 2001).]

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

12 mio. for Webber, trade walt for picks/very low salary player, give hakeem 7 mio., moochie 1.5 mio., bull 1.5 mio. (bird, i think?), pick up the langhi option...

couldn't that work....

8. harumph

harumph Member

It's a sad day when the posters here on the BBS report the news better then the media. I seriously believe things posted on this BBS before the national media!

This is 'cause we actually care about the team, not a paycheck (same should be said to some players [​IMG]). And the writer will be crucified here if (badly) wrong. Think the reporter even got his hand slapped?

Unless we're doing the reporter a dis-service & he's genuinely breaking the story, that is. For some reason I doubt his "breakage" though.

------------------
    "Hakeem gets a 3 with the final shot" - my second favorite moment of 95 finals

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Not to get technical, but I was under the impression that the players were taxed on a percentage system of sorts, where only half of his games would be tax free and the respective tax rates of the other states would tax the away games. This sounds dumb to me but I swear I thought I heard something about it with Shaq in Philly or something like that.

------------------
    American business long ago gave up on demanding that prospective employees be honest and hardworking. It has even stopped hoping for employees who are educated enough that they can tell the difference between the men's room and the women's room without having little pictures on the doors.

10. Greg#3

Greg#3 Member

That's right. The more games he will play in CA, the more tax he will have to pay. This includes the playoffs I believe. That's means a 5 game 1st round series against the Clips, folllowed by a 7 game series against the Lakers, topped off by a 7 game Western Confrence Champonship seies against the Warriors would be very expensive for Webber. [​IMG] Hey, it could happen!!

------------------
    President of the Eddie Griffin fan club.

11. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

After we renounce Hakeem we could offer the same amount and he wouldn't have to pay California's state income tax which

We actually can't offer as much as the Kings, since we don't have Webber's Bird rights. The Kings are allowed to give Webber a 7 year contract with salary increases of 12.5%. Houston can only offer Webber a 6 year deal with 10% salary increases.

------------------

12. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

aelliot, that was my understanding as well, that Sac can offer a 7 year/120 mil and we can only offer a 6/90. But what about signing bonuses? Can either team effectively boost the contract this way?

I honestly think the money is a big reason Webber has not pursued a strait FA signing, because forcing a S & T (which he seems to be debating versus just resigning with Sac)only weakens his new teams chances to win. Also, I don't think a lot of the pro players view money rationally--for instance a player would rather have a $100 Mil contract in Cal over a $90 Mil contract in Tex even if they are comparable in real dollars after taxes. In other words, it is not the "real dollars" that matter most with those kinds of contracts, but being sure you get paid more than other guys because their egos are highly involved in the contract.

[This message has been edited by Desert Scar (edited July 17, 2001).]

13. pecosbill

pecosbill Member

I say phillips"SCREW"driver Weber. We can get a better "driver" with a young "Mo" Taylor, wants to be with Rockets..... How many teams before Webber was happy, and now he is considering leaving them? Tim Duncan on the horizon, maybe....who is better for the money????

------------------