1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets one on one practice video on 12/7, including Tmac

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by stonecold999, Dec 8, 2009.

1. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

this was AFTER practice. the media cannot come in and record videos and do these kinds of stuff during practice.

there are some pros and cons to this video.

1) tracy absolutely is moving than he EVER was last year. it is more than just night and day. he doesn't appear to be limited offensively and moving better defensively.

2) you can still see his offensive skills there. however, he still lacks the finishing skills, which comes with more reps. he beat whoever guarded him 1-on-1 pretty easily but couldn't finish, particularly the layups. but that's not a problem. if you think that video proves tracy can't buy a layup ever again in his career, well...

3) where's the chemistry problems with the teammates??? :confused: he played around with chuck hayes in the earlier video shooting left-handed 3s. and he's playing 1-on-1 with shane yesterday, 2 of our captains. :confused:

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

if they cut that vid jsut a bit shorter, fans would of said budinger didn't look good, if they would have started it later, most fans would take it more seriously because they would not have seen cook make all those shots..the only thing we can gather from this is:

a)tmac isn't being isolated or frozen out by others
    b)cook doesn't suck as bad as we thought, his moves looked decent afterall.
    c) for tmac to be making those twisting moves and backing guys up like that his knee has to be feeling good.

3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Why does Brian Cook Look like our #1 low post option? his moves were pretty spectacular on the block..

Tmac looked like he was getting angry when CBUD was guarding him.. Couldn't seem to score on him.. Couldn't even Back him down.. was yelling expletives after every missed shot..

CBUD looked good on Offense and Defense

Jt dint look good on offense or defense..

Carl's is so confident in that little turn-around 18 footer of his. It looks like he shouldn't be able to get it off against taller longer player but he continues to stroke it. Nice

Thanks for the video!

4. t_mac1

the only thing lacking that i see from that vid is his finishing abilities. but man, i can't believe he's moving that well.

but this is a 1-on-1 game. the reason bcook doesn't get time is b/c his basketball IQ is a size of a baseball.

5. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I can only speak for myself but at no point when I mention(ed) chemistry was I referring to anything but actual games.

6. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

It is a 5 minute video. You can't tell anything from that one. I mean, he shouldn't be judged on it. Did he look good? No. I mean yes, his defense was agressive and looks like his quickness is there but he could not finish.

But I guess as others mentioned, it was probably after the practice so guys didn't give their all and probably played on tired legs.

And come on, if that video tells you a lot, than Brian Cook should be our starting forward. He was owning every defender.

We will see. On those layups, he will have to DUNK it during games. I belive his knee is healthly but he just needs to get his basketball rythm. And as Bullard said, you can only get into basketball shape, by playing basketball. So that will come.

7. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

And as I pointed out earlier ... they all looked like they had been going at it for a while and they were taking turns sitting down around the basket. It's very likely that Tracy missing his shots was due more to conditioning than just his shooting touch/rhythm not being there (which would explain why Adelman still has reservations about him being able to handle the rigors of an NBA schedule). Since this was after the main practice had been concluded, I doubt we can really read much into it.

8. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

McGrady: "Let me get a bucket, rookie. Don't you know who I am? I'm Tmac!"
    Budinger: "No. I won't let you get a bucket and you're not Tmac anymore. You're Knee-mac AKA the guy who is going to stay behind me in the rotation until you're traded. Ask Rick or Daryl."
    McGrady: ***takes shots and screams expletives as ball bounces of the rim***

9. J.Will.Xu

J.Will.Xu Member

Agreed, and it should of taken up to 12 months for him to recover from that kinda surgery but man, it's not early December and he moves as smooth as anybody else.

And his finishing skills can't be seen in this short vid because as you said it's after practice and too many factors weight in,
    1) having fun out there simply, missing those shots every now and then
    2) he wants to show something eagerly because he knows someone back there is shooting the tape.
    3) he's whacked-out and wants a breather due to too much work he's been go through before the team practice and full court scrimmage.

Maybe that's why he's not getting anywhere near his old self, but methinks he's close to getting back, after seeing his calf sleeve back in position, I'm just on the nine cloud and positive he'll get back to be near his old self.

10. t_mac1

i wasn't even referring to your post. the insiders' info has claimed repeatedly that the teammates absolutely despise the guy. i don't know if it's just me, but if i don't like the guy, i try to avoid the guy as much AFTER practice or not having to do extra things with the guy like having 3pt shooting contests.

basically, the entire problem is between tracy and management.

11. t_mac1

yes, this was after a full long practice since he have 3 days off. those practices usually last 2+ hours.

12. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

McGrady looked much faster laterally and he looked quick driving too. Considering the surgery he's had, I thought he looked pretty good.

It's no surprise that Cook kills in practice--his legs must be awfully fresh since he never plays in games.

Thanks for posting the link!

13. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I've heard he is a joke in the organization which I would be willing to bet is true. I have also heard people/players like him very much personally they just don't care for his attitude or ego when it comes to basketball. I've played (and known) tons of people that I get along with just great but I wouldn't want to go to war with them, or start a business with them or even have them on my basketball team if I could trade them for someone who actually tried all of the time.

I think there is a huge difference between like McGrady the person and respecting him as a player. I don't think any of the other Rockets have that respect for him. How could they after the things he has done?

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Thanks for posting the video.

DD

15. t_mac1

also, from that clip, chase has the potential to be more than just a very good defender. i like.

and yes stonecold, love to see more clips.

16. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

t-mac looks okay but hes never been a good finisher at the rim, particularly the last few seasons. his jumpshot also looks reminiscent of 06-08 where he got no lift and no arch. i dont think t-mac will give us what we need on offense. his only useful asset will be his defense and ball handling. he needs to stop making those million dollar moves and concentrate on fundamentals like layups.

17. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Wow you can tell that from a short clip of a light half court 1on1 practice session? Come on man stop the over hyping.

There is nothing much to take from this video but it's nice to see Tmac moving around again.

18. timacmania03

timacmania03 Member

god tmac looked horrible

this coming from a huge fan of him

19. Dream Shake 81

How can you say he looked horrible?! He looked great for someone who just went through Microfracture surgery. So he did not make a shot, but did you see his movement?

20. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

cook was on point as expected from a professional 'practice' player...

t-mac looked good but his timing was shaky