1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets offering deal to Brent Barry (also updates on Landry, Horry)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by roflmcwaffles, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I like how Morey is staying all polite about it... "We have no specific concerns, just want more info than just some imaging." Just matter of fact.

2. TreP3

TreP3 Contributing Member

Brent Barry I can deal with...dude can still shoot, and he likely won't cost much. Horry?!? :mad: The Rockets don't have enough roster space to carry people that don't start to play until April.

Other than some mediocre help like the GS swingmen available, there's not much the Rockets can get in free agency. Horry is NOT the answer though.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Brent Barry may be old, but when you consider his size, he's every bit as athletic as Luther. If the Rockets bring him in at the expense of the pint-sized choker, we don't lose anything. We gain a 3rd-string PG with basketball smarts, who won't go to pieces and who shoot's the 3-ball better. I would give Luther's 15 mins per game to Brent Barry any day of the week.

Horry, on the other hand, should just keep moving on. I'd rather have Mike Harris or Chuck Hayes. Big Shot Bob was terrible last season and should have retired last summer. He is the textbook definition of washed up.

4. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Very misleading thread.

5. JVGFAN

JVGFAN Member

I hope thats the case clutch. Is it possible Landry is hiding effects of the injury to make sure he gets a fat deal? just playing devil's advocate

6. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

like clutch said it wont matter chances are if any reasonable offer is made for landry we'll match if he doesnt accept whatever morey offers him. if he does get a crazy offer and walks at least there is somewhat of an insurance "policy" with the selection of Dorsey who isnt the offensive player landry is but a better defensive player and just as good of an athlete and rebounder.

but my gut says landry stays but Morey is just making sure they make the right contract decision.

the biggest bit of the article though has been left unsaid:

the team picked up the option on Steve Novak!! :) :) :)

7. ctry2582

ctry2582 Member

You guys have to look at the bigger picture here.

Is Barry old? Yes, BUT, if we land Barry, Luther Head is gone in some sort of trade.

Think about it:

Who would you rather have come playoff time, when Yao is double teamed and has to kick it out to somebody?

Barry or Head?

Who would you trust handling the ball, Barry or Head?

If the Rockets can get him, for the LLE, it's a GREAT ADDITION.

And it clears the path for Head to be shipped out

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I hope he will exercise it even though he is better than Head.

9. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

well it seemed like barry was going to sign with us anyway before the yao injury so him signing here is just a plus. a good backup SG who can play spot minutes at the PG as well and can spread the floor, pass the ball very well and create his own shot. granted with his age he wont be playing massive minutes maybe just 10 minutes a game.

Horry I would love to have too to bring his vet experience and his skills to the team. once again he would play limited minutes i bet, but what he would pass on to our young forwards in practices and in huddles could pay dividends for years to come

10. nigma2000

nigma2000 Member

All I see here if we sign them, is two additional pieces for trade bait later on in the year. Or at the very least could be worthy parts on the bench.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Who is saying the Rockets are stopping with these two? Fact is, Morey always said the big moves will have to be made with a trade, not free agency.

12. TreP3

TreP3 Contributing Member

I certainly hope this is nothing more than another shrewd move by Morey. I'd like to see Landry stay, but not at the cost of choking the life out of the MLE. Barry wouldn't cost much, so I'm down for that. Plus, perhaps that means Luther gets ZERO minutes, or gets traded in a package for more depth at the 3.

13. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Who is saying they will even get one of these two?

This is nothing more than intention.

In all liklihood, Barry will stay in SA with his family.

14. kwng

kwng Member

That is just outright nasty.

15. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

No, Barry is okay. Barry can handle the ball, is a good passer and shooter. Not good in defense but I think the Rockets have enough defenders to cover his behind when he's on court.

But the problem is Morey cant offer him 1 year contract. Morey at least have to offer Barry a 2-year deal which I think it's not a good idea.

But Barry >>>>>>>>>> Head. Period.

16. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

It's summer, people suppose to get Horry.

17. Egghead

Egghead Member

I rather have Pietrus than Barry.....but Pietrus is probably looking for more money.

18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I hope that signing old fart free agent backups isn't part of the grand scheme to keep short-term contracts so that we can go after LeBron in a couple years. Unless we can fall back on Melo, Bosh, whomever, in that same summer. I just hope it isn't the plan.

But we will have semi-tradeable assets if we sign the old dudes. If Barry can play 16 minutes a game, then.....Shane for Artest? No, no, stop, I daren't even dream.

19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I don't know or think that he is,but any guy looking for a contract wouldn't want his value to drop any further either by having to go through more testing than only imaging.

Only a more extensive physical exam and seeing him in some sort of playing condition short of invasive knee scoping can be added to radiological imaging.
    I hope he is healthy enough to play for a 3 year contract.

If the Rockets don't want try to use the MLE on Landry go after some players like Duhon as a backup PG or Barnes/Pietrus.