1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets not interested in trading Capela for DeAndre Jordan

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jan 23, 2018.

1. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

Not surprising at all. In my view, Capella fits the Rockets better than DJ can possibly do, especially against the Warriors. But the fact that the Rockets are unwilling to do this trade has nothing to do with whether they think Capella is better than DJ or not. It's simply that in order to balance the salary for the trade, in addition to Capella, we would need to give up either: a. Ariza+EG, b. Anderson. In the first case, even the most impatient Cluthfans who are desperate to get DJ will say no. In the second case, although it is nice to get rid of Anderson's contract to prepare for the coming offseason, we are giving up two starters for one, which definitely makes us worse, meaning that we give up the chance to contend this season. Our executives are geniuses, not fools.

2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Well it's time to pay the piper, he walks off for free because someone gave him a stupid contract.

s3ts likes this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

it’s for the best...Capela is still improving and has a small cap hold this summer

4. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

The one thing that doesn't make sense to me: If Rockets entertained the idea of trading for DJ, but are not interested in dealing Capela, does that mean there is a scenario where they see both centers on the team? What would be the point of a DJ/Capela center tandem? Seems a little redundant. Nene is a such a great change of pace center, he can be effective when Capela isn't.

I mean, I guess if you can convince Clips to take back Ryno and someone else that isn't too valuable you do it for the cap flexibility, but still seems weird to me.

5. lionaire

lionaire Member

Morey knows better. He's saving this chip for the almighty Unibrow.

6. csc177

csc177 Member

Clint is a keeper. AND we should pay him this offseason. People forget how raw he was a few years ago. This kid has improved drastically since then. He’s slowly transformed his body, improved his FT and had always been a strong finisher around the rim. He’s a former soccer player (like Hakeem) so his footwork is amazing for his size (see his euro step). Wait until he continues to bulk and gain even more confidence which should include a nasty streak when needed to tear the rim down and dunk on folks..

Plowman likes this.
  7. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Capela's growth has been phenomenal. Yes, he will probably get a massive deal this offseason and we should pay him whatever it takes. BUT....

Morey/Fertita have to be licking their chops and salivating because regardless if we keep Capela or trade him for that star (Lebron? Unibrow?)... Rockets are climbing and have turned into that championship type of team.

8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Have you seen Capela play without Harden? He looks like Joe Chee

Nook and Gorki like this.
  9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Capela is a sponge.
    He is learning from Two Masters

I cannot WAIT until his passing starts to improve

Rocket River

BigMaloe and topfive like this.
  10. macan

macan Member

i'm cool with it. we can wait till summer when lbj is confirmed coming while we won't have enough money for capela, then we may bring in DJ at a discounted price

11. Houston288South

Do you guys think we hold on to Capela this off-season? I think he's going to get offered a big contract from another team. Do we match or let him walk? If he does walk, I think DJ comes here...

12. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Thats why I don't think he's going to get as high of a deal as most people around here think. Potential as a youngish defensive minded C with an offensive game solely reliant on others while not being a great rebounder doesn't scream "Max Contract". See: Nerlins Noel

On the other hand, Tristian Thompson got an exorbitant contract and he's half the player Clint is, there are always quite a few dumb GMs out there.

13. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

It would be pretty cool to have two Houstonians on the crew.

14. topfive

topfive CF OG

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Capela is superior in catching and navigating in traffic . . . IMO

Rocket River

BigMaloe and Plowman like this.
  16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I would be SHOCKED if Capela gets less than what Ryan Anderson has
    that would mean he left money on the table.

In 2 yrs Capela will be a Top 2 center in this league

Rocket River

17. kwakmeister

kwakmeister Contributing Member

I love DJs ambition for Houston but like many others I just don't see how it makes sense. The Clippers have nothing we want. No youth. No 3 and D role players. No anything. You don't make a move just to make a move, that's how we lost Beasley for that guy who I can't even think of his name he's so unimportant. Tyler something? Though there might be Moore to that since Beasley didn't stay in Milwaukee and is now in New York so apparently he's not doing something right.

We are pretty set really. Aside from a superstar upgrade there's very little we can do and if it involves LAC, it's going to need a 3rd team. Anderson is the only person who can leave, maybe Gordon depending on who we get but I doubt it. Can't lose Anderson without getting a 4 who can stroke it, and good luck finding a suitable replacement.

18. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

thinly disguised anti-PBev comment. The numbers are clear

RiceRockets and topfive like this.
  19. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

It doesn't matter. He's young, posting stats that are making him more valuable. Morey has to be loving it because it just opens up more avenues for trades, etc.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

this is odd. in the 7 games that harden missed, capela was far from a lost player. he was still as solid and played his game

bc he didnt get as many lob dunks makes him less of a player? not really

BigMaloe likes this.