1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets New Logo and Unis

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets52, Jul 26, 2018.

?

Time to get rid of the reggie Toyota looking logo?

1. Yes

145 vote(s)
    81.5%
  2. No

33 vote(s)
    18.5%
  1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

@bmd biggest thing for me on that iteration is the "Houston" FONT. It is bigger and more pronounced. Would like to see the same treatment with the "Rockets" wordmark as well.

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I get the "risk" of going with something completely new... but the current logo really kind of sucks.

To the extent its grown on me, its because it is what it is and apparently no owner wants to really change it.

I guess (???) owners don't want to change it because I think the Rockets were like 10th in merchandise sales last year. But of course, that has everything to do with being a good team, with an MVP player, plus CP3, in a decent sized market. When you factor all that in, shouldn't they be higher?

The Rockets as a team name is FANTASTIC. It shouldn't be hard AT ALL to find a logo and scheme that is AMAZING and can actually work for 50 years.

The China pandering from the last go around is ridiculous but even would have been ok if the end result wasn't so horrible. Why is it dripping blood? How come if someone didn't know the team was the Rockets they wouldn't be able to figure it out at all.

It's not iconic from a font/letter perspective. It's not historic. It's just not good... at all.

I'm with you on the yellow being overplayed. I'm with you on the mustard yellow red combo reminding everyone of McDonald's.

I don't understand, AGAIN, why they can't have an amazing color scheme that 100% associates with their team name.

They're the Rockets. Pretty much every rocket visual I ever had has some combination of these colors: orange, yellow, gray and/or silver, white, black. I "get" why red is there, for historical reasons and just because there is a connection with red and fire.

Now... I personally would be a-ok with a complete rebranding that included a new color scheme. That said, you have to be aware of what's out there already and the Orange/Grey color scheme is somewhat integral to the Suns, and the Jazz have a jersey version (though not primary) that is closer to that "sunset" type color that is really more reminiscent of what a rocket launch can remind you of sometimes. I'm not a designer, so I don't know how tough it would be to really nail the theme that is Rockets beyond the colors I noted above.

But if they want to keep red, then fine... its got to be done MUCH better.

I mean, do I like the black alternate?? Sure... I guess. But if I stop to think about it, it's not super special or unique in any way. It stands out as a not bad Rockets jersey in a world where that really can't be said much.

My two cents... spend real money, get real competent people involved, get 4 or 5 LEGIT design choices, open it to the public a bit (this is NEVER done, so I'm guessing there's a legit reason why, though I can't think of it??), and move on and you'd generate amazing merchandising right now with the team as good as it is.

Bo6 likes this.
  3. JayZ750

Current jerseys spoilered below, fyi.

I'm sorry... they're just meh at best. I mean, Chinese ones?? Wtf... its just pure pandering to China for $ I guess. Is there any other team in the league with a Chinese letter jersey?

[​IMG]

You can find the whole history here:
    https://nbajerseydatabase.tumblr.com/tagged/houston-rockets

And also other teams.

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Bring back the grays, sleeveless if possible. And the red yellow retros from 2014.

Chinese character Jersey is exactly like the road red, how original. Whites suck too but the current design is so much better than the original with stupid stripes going all the way to shoulder.

LUK3 and Houstunna like this.
  5. ths balla

ths balla Member

We will be getting a red version of the black jersey

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

[​IMG]

7. JayZ750

yeah... the black one is definitely the best, and if they wanted to just go with that scheme for all jerseys, than its definitely moving in the right direction...

just think the reality is they need a complete overhaul

D-rock likes this.
  8. JayZ750

I would have guessed one of the west coast teams...

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

[​IMG]

topfive likes this.
  10. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

Thats their old one.

There one from this year looked like this
    [​IMG]

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah. just showing that other team's have had the chinese lettering jersey's also @tmac2therack

12. JayZ750

they're all ridiculous, imo.

not trying to be subtly racists, and I know the games global, but every time I see a jersey like that I just can't help but think wtf? And to be fair, I feel the same about the spanish ones, too, although those pretty much just add the word "Los" in front

13. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

Got ya, those are all Adidas. We are the only team who still did this last year with the Nike jerseys.

YOLO likes this.
  14. Caesar

Caesar Member

Do the uniforms even have to match anymore?
    My favorite has always been the championship whites. They look so clean with that minimal yellow trim and the logo on the shorts. Unfortunately our home court at the time was ugly and didn’t help the uniform look.

Association- something very similar to championship white

Icon- just like the lakers bringing back drop shadow- id like to see the rudy T-Calvin 70s rockets look Yao and tmac wore for retro’s- that more golden yellow makes the red pop
    [​IMG]

Alternate- modern version of the RWB late 90s
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

LUK3, D-rock and Huricane like this.
  15. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm so tired of the uniforms. They are boring. Time for something cool and fresh, that represents H-Town and Rockets! We need a better logo!!!

jb86 likes this.
  16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Of all of the "suggested" designs I have seen, I thought this was a good approach.

Also take note of the "R" logo where the "exhaust/bleeding" is removed and just rounded.

rockets52 likes this.
  17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Now you know how British and Spanish soccer fans feel. These Chinese and Arab fans pay the bills. As someone else mentioned, the game is global and unless you’re a gatekeeper it’s a good thing

18. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

LOL

that court looks like a giant Chinese flag
    [​IMG]

No thank you. We are the Houston Rockets. It's bad enough our 'CITY Jerseys', the jersey that was supposed to rep our city last season was in Chinese. While I have nothing against the chinese we need to stick to what represents Houston and makes us unique, while we are a diverse city, choosing to soley be repped by China isn't a very good representation of the city. I don't mind an Asian night with asian styled jerseys, or a hispanic night with hispanic styled jerseys, or damn have a caucasian european night i really don't care, have any night representing an ethnicity or culture within our city, but on city night have something that represents everyone as a whole. What we had last season was insulting.

#118 Realjad, Aug 9, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  19. JayZ750

i've always liked the project 34 guy, if for no other reason that he puts for a very spirited, professional effort.
    But there's plenty of random ideas out there, ALL of which, imo, would be at least a step up over the current logo, though you can find faults in all.

These are interesting:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Or this, at least unique:
    [​IMG]

Or super simple:
    [​IMG]

This one is maybe dated a bit already, but again, would have been better than current...
    [​IMG]

This guy certainly tried...
    [​IMG]

There are, of course, more. And you might say "none of those would really be all that great" ... maybe, maybe no. But bear in mind, the below is the current logo, lol

[​IMG]

20. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Yes, regueler is kind of tough