1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Need to Incorporate More Mid Range?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FTW Rockets FTW, May 5, 2017.

1. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

It's all good playing offense on the philosophy of 3's, layups and free throws during the regular season or against inferior teams.

Our offense struggles against better teams when they game plan. Teams that have long, perimeter defenders that can switch and guard the 3 point line closely and then they have a big, tall shot blocker waiting at the rim. These are the teams that give Rockets trouble. Spurs, Utah etc.

We need some variety in the offense and need to incorporate more mid range game when teams lock down the 3 point shooters and the paint. Just take the best shot possible even if it's a mid range J. Spurs take so many and do just fine. I don't mean Nene taking mid range but more Harden mid range, more Lou and more Egoo, maybe even Rhyno

Tha_Dude, Yung-T and Man like this.
  2. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Ryno midrange shots would get him going IMO.

MistaK, Ozzy and FTW Rockets FTW like this.
  3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Spurs and Gasol are just camping at the rim knowing that Rockets will blindly just drive to the hole. How many shots have we messed up at the rim?

WHy not stop and pop from mid range once in a while. Rockets offense is easy for someone like Pop to game plan against. If we're not shooting close to 40% from 3 point land, we will struggle to beat Spurs with this kind of predictable offense IMO

4. juanm34

juanm34 Member

No dude, we don't have any midrange plays in the playbook. 3's and ISO.

5. DreamRun95

DreamRun95 Member

Somewhere out there , Morey just choked on his coffee.

Tfor3, Yung-T and kjayp like this.
  6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Rockets need to initiate their offense earlier in the shot clock. Harden dribbling the air out of the ball from the 3-point line is so stale and too often it forces the Rockets into a poor decision because the clock is running out.

Ryno should park in the corner where he is most deadly.

If Ryno is garbage, either (or both) of EG and Lou has to bring a hot hand.

da_juice and Man like this.
  7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Meh. We just need Gordon/Lou to play like themselves. Extremely unlucky game tonight. I expect us to run off 3 straight.

JayGoogle and jevjnd like this.
  8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Yeah it's actually hysterical how much space we have in the mid range. I think harden Gordon lou and Anderson can make those vs contested threes

9. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I know you guys are mad and falling apart like the Rockets, but you all just need to take a step back, get a goodnight's sleep and look forward to game 4. We live and die by the 3. Incorporating any type of mid-range game at this point of the season is just not going to happen with only one day rest between games.

Brando2101 likes this.
  10. And1redux

And1redux Member

Tell this to that fat idiot GM

11. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

You ride the horse that got you here. If a system works then you play it even when it fails you twice in a row. That's the point. Play a system and it'll work out for you.

12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Rockets don't even practice midrange anymore, none of our guys can shoot it dependably.

13. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I see them shoot it during practice on instagram

14. And1redux

And1redux Member

I just don't understand this. Wasn't this kinda predictable and obvious? From the regular season, we always struggled against good defensive teams that can simultaneously take away our threes and scoring in the paint. GSW, Utah, Spurs, OKC etc, you name it. Yet, zero adjustments made and still pathologically adverse to taking mid-range shots. Does Morey understand that most efficient shot in general does not equate to most efficient shot at every moment? I honestly doubt it at this point.

Man likes this.
  15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I am convinced that the League refuses to call fouls in the lane until they do . . . . .
    The League seems like it is using the Refs to FORCE the Rockets to reincorporate Mid Range back into their game

Until the Rockets do . . . anything goes in the lanes . . .against the Rockets
    The other team can push, pull, trip, kick, elbow anything to make them miss and no foul will be called.

Rocket River

Tha_Dude likes this.
  16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I forgot . .. . the league won't call defensive 3 seconds either

Rocket River

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Nene actually took 3 wide open mid range shots too, I think he realized what they were doing.

Now if only we could have Harden, Lou, Ryno, and Gordon take those shots when they see them.

Man likes this.
  18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Why the **** do you think I wanted us to sign Scola ?????????????????????????????????????????????

DD

19. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

knowing Greg Popovich he will be on the lookout for this next game. This is what the playoffs are about boys you got to keep mixing up your game

unless you have a beast in the post, you do one thing and you get exposed

20. basketballholic

Midrange inside the paint would be great. Free throw line on down. That is what the Spurs are cleaning our clock on. They take and make a ton of shots in the paint in the 5-14 foot range. Those are efficient looks.

Man likes this.