1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets need SOME midrange game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by htwnbandit, Dec 29, 2013.

1. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

There's a difference. Jordan was the creator of the offense. I don't want the creator of offense jacking up 3's like Harden does. But if you're going to suck defenders in by drawing double teams, I have no problem with your role players spotting up for the open 3. No worse than midrange spot ups statistically, I bet. We just aren't working the plays enough to get open 3's. Too often, we just hope to bail out of work by jacking up a covered 3.

2. yummyhawtsauce

They need PNR and to set more screens for each other. Team relies on, 1) Dwight in post 2) swing ball for 3 3) iso

3. bws

bws Member

That's why he needs to use his quickness to drive into the lane but then stop and pop. It is a crucial element missing in his game. He also needs to utilize the floaters more. He's not a back-up PG, he's a solid player. He just needs a better approach for certain types of match-ups.

4. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

EVERY teams mid-ranged shot's eFG% is far below the league average eFG% for the three point shot. You can probably count on one hand the number of players that have a higher mid-ranged shot eFG%. This is a done and settled issue.

5. Chris Jent MVP

And today's Rockets didn't just 3's either. Stop exagerrating.

6. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Rockets have no one who can get to the basket and finish with authority....Harden can get there but he doesn't have hops! Harden, Lin, Garcia, Casspi, and Parsons are ALL shooters. If you look at the better teams; Heat, Pacers, and Thunder they ALL have wings who can finish above the rim with authority; Paul George, LeBron and Durant......AS WE CAN SEE, THAT 3 IS NOT GOING TO ALWAYS DROP!

7. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

Jordan passed to open mid range shooters as well as 3's. harden and lin can do the same if we run some plays. I don't mind 3's but jack'n 3's is different that making plays with ball movement. thunder shot a lot of mid range high percentage shots.

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

If prime Micheal Jordan is on this team, McHale will let him take ANY shot he wishes. Jordan can tell McHale that he wants to shoot 20 footers all day, and McHale will allow it.

So don't tell me what Micheal Jordan can do. Because I've seen this Rockets team. And I don't see Micheal Jordan or Hakeem on this team. Tell me how to get them on the Rockets, and I'll agree with you they can take their mid-range jumpers.

9. Chris Jent MVP

But they can't do both at the same time. They key is proper ball movement to exploit the defense and take the correct shot.

Obviously more work needs to be done. We need roster upgrades. And rest. But the plan is a good plan.

10. bws

bws Member

Ewing was another one that shot a lot of mid-range jumpers. Oakley too. Garnett too. You need a good 14-20 ft shot. For some, a mid-range jumper is almost as automatic as a layup.

11. YallMean

YallMean Member

Majority of shot are taken inside the paint at around 70% clip. We take many threes right around 30% clip. The in-arch-out-of paint is typically in 30% range. A jumpshooting team like Dallas may have 40 some percent success in that area. Overall most teams are going away mid-range shots. Plus we don't have personnel that is good at curl, catch and shoot so much better than taking the threes. I am fine with taking less of those.

Once again, teams that shoot mid-range jumpers well, teams of JJ.Redick, PJ Tucker, Dirk, Durant seem to slice us up pretty well. OTOH, we match up pretty ok against Spurs. Something to chew on. Oddly, we just seem to kill the Warriors.

12. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

we took 27 3's tonight and lost by about 30. that's not an exaggeration.

13. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

But the most important question is would Morey allow it?

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, if open midrange shots are lazy, I hope we become a lazy team like Miami.

15. bws

bws Member

Miami's Pat Riley calls 3s "fools gold"

16. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So I read somewhere that shooting mid range jumpers at a 38% success rate yields the same point value as shooting 3 pointers at a 25% success rate.

The Rockets need to shoot more 3s

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

They do have a midrange game. Harden is quite good at getting and making midrange Js off the dribble, Parsons, too. They just don't go out aggressively hunting for those when other options are available. But they do shoot them with some frequency.

18. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I'll give you a championship team that didn't pass to midrange shooters - two time championship in fact. Hakeem's Rockets. Most predictable offense ever. Dump it into Hakeem. If double teamed, pass it out to 3 point shooters who swing it around until a man had an open 3. Predictable as it is, I challenge you to find a better offense esp. given the offensive limitations of some of the players (Mad Max only shot like 30% from the three point line). I think the biggest question is whether we have stars that can consistently be relied upon to burn one-on-one coverage and can make smart decisions when double-teamed. That will get you the open, higher % shots for role players - whether they're at the 3 point line or inside it.

19. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I STILL DON'T KNOW HOW DM DON'T SIGN JAMES JOHNSON!!!:mad: AND THEN DRAFT A 5'11' POINT GUARD AND PASS ON GLEN RICE, JR.!!!:mad::mad:

NOT SAYING THESE GUYS ARE SPECIAL BUT WE HAVE GARBAGE ON THE BENCH RIGHT NOW, CASSPI AND GARCIA ARE ALL S.O.F.T!!!

20. Zergling

Zergling Member

So the Rockets were too tired to make threes but somehow weren't tired enough to miss long twos?