1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets need a second star

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by REEKO_HTOWN, Jan 22, 2015.

1. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Very true, Howard stepped up his game big in the playoffs last year. I just wish Harden and Howard could produce at the same time, it seems when one is hot the other is off... Like in the Portland series Howard was killing it, and Harden was off.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

what does that have to do with this year? korver, teague, and horford are all having all star seasons this year so yes 3 of the 4 will likely make it.

Jimmy butler wasn't close to being an all star last year, but is absolutely killing it this year does that mean he isn't making it this year?

3. anchel

anchel Member

Disagree. Roster is ok with TJones. We allowed again 102 points in 3 quarters. That's not solved with another star.

Face it, Rockets just need to be better coached, be more disciplined. and better organized.

- Pat defending full court pressure to Curry ¿?
    - Harden defending Klay ¿?

.... we won't solvre those problems, nor TO's issue, not bad shots issue, with a new star. Probably we will get worse defensively.

Roster is fine and just needs continuity and to be better coached. In my opinion.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

roster is not fine. harden cannot be your only playmaker/scorer/creater on the perimeter.

5. anchel

anchel Member

If we allow 100 points in 3 quarters with this roster, we would allow more with Parsons and Dragic.

Some of you guys don't realize the problem. Spurs won a ring recently with no superstars.

You just gotta play better basketball, better defense. We have enough talent, outside and inside.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

add ball handler to this.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You can't polish a turd anchel.

Want to solve the turnover issue? Get a better Point Guard.

You don't think Howard posting up results in bad shots? I do because Howard can't shoot. He can dunk though. The best passer on the team is Harden and the second best is Josh Smith.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

spurs are not comparable to any established team, its not something that simply be emulated. not sure what your referring to but houston doesn't have superstars either

9. REEKO_HTOWN

Sounds like McHale talking. I'm not talking about getting stars for the sake of getting stars. Im talking about shifting the offense away from inside out Harden/Howard ball because THAT DOESNT WORK. IT SUCKS. We need to adjust to the way the NBA is going. Guard play.

10. anchel

anchel Member

You forget we have playmakers inside, Howard, Dmo, SMith/Jones... No NBA team has that playmaking / scoring power inside + an MVP outside. We have our own weapons, in my opinion enough talent to beat anybody... Our main problem are not about talent. Are about how crappy we are collectively.

Coaching does matter. A lot.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

they are far from playmakers..all those guys need shots created for them. smith is probably the next best passer after harden and thats pretty bad.

12. anchel

anchel Member

Of course Howard creates shots. He got to the finals with no stars around him, just remind you.

We just don't know how to use him. I would accept that we need a shooting big man to help Howard and our offense. We I dont think we need another star. Yes, it would help us offensivley, but still, our main problems are about defense, execution, organization, bad habits, leadership..... You don't solve that by adding a star. That's a coaching problem.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

no need to keep referencing that because that's irrelevant at this point. he's far from the same player he was at that point

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Who are Atlanta's stars?

The Rockets don't need stars, they need an identity.

DD

15. REEKO_HTOWN

Rockets Howard is not the same player that took his Orlando team to the finals. Look at his lazy screens, inability to box out, failure to secure rebounds, missed layup a that used to be dunks. if our main problems are dense then how is Howard a star?

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

3 of them will likely be named all stars, 4 arguably with korver.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

They have an identity and its old, sucks and cast with the wrong players. We can't play inside out if the inside poses no threat. You don't want a star PG? This is what you get; Pateick Beverley taking 3s.

18. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

We're going nowhere fast without a secondary playmaker, but I don't think it necessarily needs to be a "star."

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

One of Beverley or Ariza needs to go to the bench, either one is fine as a starting 3 and D player but you can't have both.

We miss Parsons so much on offense.

DD

20. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

They have 3 all stars because they have a solid identity, a great coach and a great system that makes them look like all stars. They are probably not even top 20 players in this league. Maybe horford.

Put them 3 on the Rockets and none of them would be close to All star caliber.

Likewise, have a coach who is worth his weight, a system and an identity and I ams ure the Rockets would have 3 all stars too.