1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets' MVP response tweet: good idea or bad idea?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Os Trigonum, Jun 25, 2019.

?

Rockets' MVP response tweet

1. Good idea: just calling it like it is

114 vote(s)
    47.1%
  2. Bad idea: reflects poorly on the organization

94 vote(s)
    38.8%
  3. Good idea: a championship-quality, Steve Kerr-like move

21 vote(s)
    8.7%
  4. Bad idea: we've out-Kerred Steve Kerr

22 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. Good idea: any publicity is good publicity

22 vote(s)
    9.1%
  6. Bad idea: just stoking the fires of Harden hate

51 vote(s)
    21.1%
  7. Good idea: Giannis doesn't deserve the award

31 vote(s)
    12.8%
  8. Bad idea: the Rockets deserve an unsportsmanlike behavior penalty

23 vote(s)
    9.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

You're joking, right?

To be fair, I don't know which of Curry's MVP seasons you mean, but assuming you're going chronologically that would be his second one in 2015-16. That season, he:
    - led the league in scoring at 30.4
    - became the first player in NBA history to lead the league in scoring while shooting 50-40-90 (FWIW Harden's never shot 50% from the field, 40% on threes, or 90% from the line in a single season, never mind doing all three at once)
    - only season in NBA history making over 400 threes
    - had the 8th best Player Efficiency rating in NBA history. The only players who ever had higher PERs are named Wilt, Michael, and LeBron.
    - led the best regular season team in history (GS fans don't like talking about the playoffs though lol)

Yeah, the Warriors had amazing team success right up until the last three games of the season. But Steph's season was ridiculous. There's a reason he was the only unanimous MVP ever.

2. JW86

JW86 Member

It was bad timing and comes across as petty. It’s not just one tweet, as it is in line with the likes of Morey going on and on about how great Harden is, MVP race etc. We get it, but enough is enough. Also I wish Morey would actually talk to Harden that he won’t win a championship if his focus is on awards.

Clearly this year like in years past, part of Harden’s solo act comes from love of stats and chasing the MVP. Morey loves stats so that goes hand in hand. I’m not sure what Kobe and MJ were doing when they had the 35 PPG seasons, but Harden was not just about winning. The whole Rockets attitude and focus needs shifting. Butler might be the only one who can get that done.

DaDakota likes this.
  3. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

That was my bad. I was referring to 2014-2015. 2015-2016 was the year of Kardashian & Dwightmare and still blocked out of my active memory. Curry did not deserve the first MVP over Harden and the players agreed by voting Harden the MVP.

topfive likes this.
  4. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

Debatable - but at least that statement isn't totally insane. Curry winning in 2014-15 isn't "winning is everything", it was "in a case of comparable individual achievement, greater team achievement usually gets the nod"

5. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

1. It was not comparable. Harden clearly had a better season.
    2. I am fine with "greater team achievement" if there was not a complete 180 during Westbrook's MVP season. The point of argument has always been that the goalposts have never been moved more for a player than Harden.

6. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

It's ABSOLUTELY comparable. It's totally normal for a fan, but you're looking at this through VERY rockets-colored glasses. This whole Harden victim complex thing here is absurd.

Anyway, it seems unlikely either of us will change each other's minds here, so I don't imagine there is any point to continuing in this vein. Have a good day.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

A lot of people here are still salty about the Westbrook year, including the official Rockets tweets, and hope that the individual stats measurement is the trump card (pun intended). TBH, I am salty too. I think Westbrook's MVP was the dumbest of all time. But that was an exception. Most of the years we see that the MVP has been part of a top team. The Rockets were hardly a top team this season. Whether this is a fair way to select the MVP is another debate. But I don't think you can say that Giannis robbed Harden the way Westbrook robbed Harden.

Beside, one the reasons why that tweet was bad is because it was supposed to address to Giannis as an congratulatory message. Then the "We do not agree" part should also be addressing Giannis, right? Why do you target the player when the voting was by the media? Unless Giannis tried to campaign for his award and try to pad his stats (like Westbrook did) to achieve that, or if he talked smack against Harden. He did none of those things, as far as I know. If you want to send a message to those who vote for the MVP, then use another tweet for that. Don't confuse the target.

DaDakota, Os Trigonum and B-Bob like this.