1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ROCKETS MEDIA DAY!!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by juicedude, Sep 30, 2002.

Tags:
  1. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Don't you remember that the camera adds 10 pounds? Oh, Mo was only holding that cake for someone else.:D

2. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

No KT in those pics....I think Mo ate him. That boy is BIG

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Hey, if he can bang a little better, that is fine with me. Even slimmed down Mo can't get rebounds. If he can still shoot and run the break as good as he used to, and bangs a little better, than I'd actually be pleased with his size.

4. Old School

Old School Member

Anyone else see Francis and Mobley on the any of the newscasts tonight?? They both had diamonds in one ear the size of rocks.

os

5. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Mo's upper body looks fine, but the bottom half looks weird.

I can't put my finger on what exactly it is. Does he have a gut? A fat ass? fatty turkey legs? all the above?

Still, he doesn't appear to be Kemp/Baker bad.

6. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Someone said Mo doesn't look fat at all...Were you joking? He looks very er, what's the PC term? Horizontaly challenged?

Not only that but he looks soft...Not soaft compared to some guy in the supermarket, but fleshier than I'd want to see an NBA forward. Especially one about whom there were already weight concerns.

I'm soooooo not wanting this to be the case, but a talented young PF signs a multi-year deal, gets hurt, and his waist is never seen again. Sound farmiliar? Does anyone know if Mo has an army of children too? I'm not as alarmed as I sound, but it is a concern. The last thing you want coming off leg surgery is to be carrying a lot of extra weight.

7. Truth

Truth Member

Hey, where's Kenny?!!!!

8. Old School

Old School Member

9. Old School

Old School Member

New-look Rockets ready for training camp
    Associated Press

Yao Ming impressed his Houston Rockets teammates-to-be Monday, even if he was only in two dimensions.

A life-sized poster of the 7-foot-6 Chinese basketball star was on the wall in a practice gym as the team posed for pictures, chatted with reporters and prepared to begin training camp in Austin on Tuesday.

Everyone was there except Yao, who isn't expected in camp until later in October after fulfilling his Chinese commitment to the Asian Games. The poster was impressive enough for some.

"Look at his legs. They're like tree trunks," coach Rudy Tomjanovich marveled, dismissing concerns the 296-pound Yao might get pushed around by physical NBA centers looking to school the No. 1 overall draft pick.

Reserve guard and official team comedian Moochie Norris shadow-dribbled toward the Yao poster and pretended to post up on his future teammate, a horrible mismatch if it ever happens in practice.

While much of the talk centers on Yao, Tomjanovich says he's just glad to see several of his returning players back on their feet again. Houston, wracked by injuries up and down its roster last season, went 28-54.

Forward Maurice Taylor was lost to a right Achilles tendon injury before the season started, then Glen Rice was out after just 20 games with a partial tendon tear in his right knee.

On top of that, star point guard Steve Francis missed 25 games with left foot injury, a strained right shoulder and debilitating migraine headaches. Francis has healed from his injuries and is successfully treating the headaches, and says he's ready to start earning his new six-year contract that could pay $90 million.

"I just think it's time, it's time for us to be in the playoffs," said Francis, the No. 2 overall pick in the 1999 draft who never has tasted the postseason in three years as the Rockets rebuild.

Team owner Les Alexander is a little more bullish, often calling it "one of the great teams ever assembled" in the last few weeks. He reiterated his belief Monday.

"The intention (of hailing the team) was to send a message to the people of Houston and the nation," said Alexander, who lamented that the impending arrival of Yao and the last season at Compaq Center haven't sparked season ticket sales.

An associate had advice for Alexander concerning the box office:

"Players don't sell tickets, winning does," Alexander said.

However, the team hopes if Yao's addition doesn't sell more tickets it will at least help sell some Chinese beer.

On Monday, the Rockets announced the team's official import beer will be China's popular Yanjing Beer.

"Having a high-profile international draft pick such as Yao Ming on the Rockets roster allows our organization to offer corporate partners a rare international marketing opportunity with unprecedented potential," said Tad Brown, the team's vice president of corporate development.

Yao isn't the team's only newcomer. The Rockets also are excited about Slovenian forward Bostjan Nachbar, another first-round pick, and also will give rookie guard Tito Maddox a shot to earn a job.

Tomjanovich noted that all three are still college age -- Yao and Nachbar would be seniors and Maddox would be a junior-- and second-year high school draftee Eddie Griffin would be a sophomore.

Mostly, the coach says he's anticipating being able to use the same lineups day in, day out, as long as the injury bug doesn't bite again.

"What I'm really excited about is that thing called continuity," he said.

The Rockets, back-to-back world champions in 1994 and 1995, haven't been to the playoffs since a first-round loss to the Lakers in 1999. Taylor, who says he shed about 50 pounds and is feeling fit, says the owner's words are meaningless in October.

"I know Les is excited about the talent we have," Taylor said. "But we have to prove it."

10. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

crisco, you've gotta be kidding. Mo's so fat when I yell kool-aid he comes jumping through the wall.

I'm totally perplexed by Feigey Feigy's article last night. When he wrote that KT would play the 3 during camp, I didn't know that it was because we resigned two sandwiches. Mo looks slow and puffy.

11. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

I just saw Kenny on the news. He was looking trim & ready to prove his worth this year it looked like. He said the ball is in the Rocket's court if they want to offer him an extension before November, otherwise he becomes a restricted free agent after this season.

12. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

I really think it was poor lighting or something. Take a look at the full-body picture of Moochie and he even looks very husky compared to normal. But in the other Moochie picture when he is pointing both hands at the cameraman next to Yao's cutout; there he looks trim & in great shape.

Very poor quality of lighting is what I blame for nearly all of our Rockets looking like porkers.

13. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Did anyone see Glen Rice?

14. r-fan-since-81

r-fan-since-81 Contributing Member

Matt Jackson said he interviewed Rice at Media Day.

15. Truth

Truth Member

Thanx Ron. I gotta say you and RC Cola are really good at responding to people's questions that would otherwise gone unnoticed. Thanx again.

16. tozai

tozai Member

Damn Mo does look chubby in that picture, but in the first one he didn't look too bad.

17. Truth

Truth Member

I just saw a short story on Boki on Channel 11. It basically said the usual, "I'm excited to be here, he can slash to the basket and suprise people with vicious dunks. I also saw Mo in motion instead of in a still and it is a total difference, he looked in playing shape on TV. Weird, huh.

18. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Nope I'm not kidding. I'm only looking at the picture hp put up, most of the other pictures in this thread are too dark for me to distinguish anything.

I'm not saying his upper body looks cut or anything, but cmon, he does not look like two sandwiches. Reason why I can't tell is the bagginess of the shorts, it looks like he's wearing a friggin dress, but there is definitely some fat in there, I'm just trying to figure out exactly where. I'm assuming it's his gut. It would be too weird if it were just an enormous ass.

19. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

aw yeah!! I'm as giddy as a little child!!!

20. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

On sports talk 610am around 730pm one of matt jacksons news updates was saying that MoTaylor and Rice both looked be in great shape at the media day.

#60 Severe Rockets Fan, Oct 1, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2002