1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Media Day 2018 -- Every Interview

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Even the Warriors are scared of the going into the repeater. The owner is a tech billionaire with maybe 3X as much as Tilman.

The repeater tax is no some slap on the wrist by the NBA. It's built to be a guillotine.

The fact that you think the Rockets sold at an inflated price makes me regret even posting my first response. You don't know **** about value and finances in the NBA.

3. lionaire

lionaire Member

Do not worry brother

s3ts likes this.
  4. MystikArkitect

Is this the first time you’ve heard of Tilman?

5. mrm32

mrm32 Member

35ppg season for Harden incoming and back to back MVP.

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

what was the 2nd highest bid? i'll hang up and wait for your reply...

7. REEKO_HTOWN

You really think Tilman decided to spend more money than he had to to buy a $2.2 billion team...out of the goodness of his heart?

You think Billionaires give money away? Yikes....

So he borrowed $400 million from Les because he just said, "what the heck I'll do Les a favor"?

I still can't believe you posted that....like...wow!

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

of course you are operating from a position of ignorance, so you wouldn't know the answer to my question. i know the answer because i was directly involved in a bid myself. have a nice day

9. REEKO_HTOWN

Speak or forever be referred to as worse than basketballholic

Your info would be thread worthy...If you aren't full of ****. I want you to be legit though.

10. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Just imagine how he'll feel after the baby comes

11. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

His nick name is Ennis The Menace for a reason!

pippendagimp likes this.
  12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I sure hope so. Thanks for your post. I really appreciated it.

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

considering you said that i "don't know ****" i feel like you should probably apologize first :D

1.91B

14. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

AWESOME audio clips - love it! Thanks.

Melo - hoodie kept him cool in the Bahamas; talks about defense being situational; promises he won't miss when we're looking at a near 27 straight drought
    Green - Harden really wanted Green to come prior to the deadline
    Harden - calling out CP for trying something he never did before that caused his injury
    Morey - will get his hair braided with "R" ala Green if we win the chip
    Clint - working on his driving game in high PNR; really envious of Matt's callout for Nene-ayyyyy
    EG - wanted more ladies at the Bahamas; thinks team will really miss Coach Bz; team watched more video of defense than offense
    James Ennis - didn't like GSW before he joined and wanted them to lose :)
    Matt Thomas - really likes Marquese Chriss

Deuce and snowconeman22 like this.
  15. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Are you arguing against yourself? If he has gone into debt that means he would even more so want to avoid that tax. He stated that he is willing to do it if there is a situation that merits it. If he had to do it to sign someone of LeBron's caliber he would. If he knew there was a way to win the championship 100% the income from that would also merit it. I just don't understand why people think he should avoid all rationale and pour his personal money into the team for no reason.

16. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Yeah. One thing I noticed about most of the players that I really liked to see is they all seemed like they were super excited to be there. Ennis, Green, Harden, CP3, Capela. They were all having fun. It is a good sign for the team.

RocketsFan247 likes this.
  17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

there seems to be a tragic disconnect between your reading comprehension and the point i have tried to make, already more than once now

whether or not he should pay the repeater tax is not the subject of my posts. all i have said is that it will be very difficult for him to avoid paying the repeater tax. this is because we will have $110M in annual salary tied up in just 3 players (beard/paul/clint) who are on guaranteed contracts for the next 4-5 years. in year 4 that repeater tax will kick in. so when he says that there's basically no way he would pay that repeater tax, the obvious question becomes does he plan on salary dumping one of those players? and i guess a secondary question would become does this mean we have no chance of acquiring and signing jimmy butler to a longterm MAX contract?

18. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

My reading comprehension is at least 5/10. Your writing ability must also be 5/10. I think this is where the problem lies. The word refusal should be changed to a different word, like reluctance.

I didn't read all your posts before the one that I quoted so if you said it in a different way I just simply didn't see it.

I agree to your point though. I said a long time ago the CP3 signing was in some ways a bad thing, but it was a thing we had to do as well. CP3 said he is all about winning but then chose to have a contract higher than Harden's. About half of the money he gets goes to taxes and various other expenses. So lets say if he really wanted to win he would say he would take 10 mil less a year (around 30 something mil a year). He would only be seeing around 5 mil less. Also if we include the state taxes of California vs Texas that is more additional savings. All though it doesn't seem to be fair from the ESPN player salary article that it seems the higher the state charges in state income tax that the less they have to pay in federal. I am no tax man but that was the trend I saw, I could be wrong.

So he says he wants to win but that comes after his pockets are lined. Before he came to Houston I knew right away the reason we did the sign and trade was so he can maximize the contract he was allowed to receive, it was 100% about milking it for every penny.

I am not anti CP3. I think in the playoffs he was exactly what the team needed. I just don't like it how people skate around the reality of he wants his money which is fine. He do what he do, just be honest about it.

Rockets are going to be in luxury tax hell, I agree.

#58 Swapshop, Sep 25, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  19. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

tilman's direct quotes from the video on page 1 of this thread:

"at some point you have to get smart, and you cannot get into the repeater tax"

"at some point you have to do some things so you never go into the repeater tax"

i have not misrepresented his words, which are tantamount to refusal not reluctance.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  20. skroodup25

skroodup25 Member