1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets, Mavs interested in Andre Iguodala trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

yeah, I’m not down with giving up a 1st for Iggy...Memphis needs to get real

if it was 14-15 Iggy on the trade block then that’s 1 thing

alethios, JuNx and eliefor3 like this.
  2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Having a useful player under contract is an asset …. one that can be added to other assets to bring a return.

When you didn't spend that MLE you wasted the asset.

Its not simply about "putting us over the top" its getting incrementally better. Every step of the process counts.

3. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

I think Iggy was still very solid and a difference maker this past playoffs...

RudyTBag likes this.
  4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I don't know that I'd pull the trigger on Iggy …. but I wouldn't let those assets go to waste.

Shumpert's bird rights and back to back MLE's …. I'd sign Shumpert to an inflated 3 year deal with only the first year guaranteed creating for myself an expiring contract that can help me bring back a quality player when combined with other assets.

As for the MLE there isn't much left that can help. That ship done sailed …. I'd wager they don't use it again.

BHannes2BHonest and pippendagimp like this.
  5. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

First round pick for iggy? lmao.

sammy, ThatBoyNick and JuNx like this.
  6. Reeko

Reeko Member

still not worth a 1st round pick at age 35

7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Quoted for truth.

Sad part is that's exactly what they have done for the last two years.

8. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

The point is to add players that can help your team. We still lack a backup C that can be relied on for more than spot minutes, SF’s (especially ones with length) and PF depth. Do you think we don’t have holes to fill? Are these not beyond obvious needs?

D-rock likes this.
  9. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

You don't add players just for the sake of marginal improvements. I am always down for improving a team in a way that matters, but if we get someone and lock ourselves out for when someone really matters becomes available, what then? Sorry, but I am not a believer of marginal improvements for the sake of improvements. Unless said player pushes us over the edge, I am fine with sitting pat with what we currently have.

10. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

It can just as easily turn into deadweight and prevent us from actually getting an asset we really need.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

like all the min signings the rockets have gone through "hoping" they out play their contracts. the fact that they are min signings and bottom barrel type players already limit their ceilings as extremely low. most of us are tired of this bc you pretty much should know what to expect. this constant waiting til the right player comes along is just another excuse for the "value" approach to keep going and going. its not really value, we all know they're ducking the tax. thats no secret. like are you going to wait until harden is 35 to be like ok yeah its really time to surround this team with more quality players that have a better chance of contributing

12. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

How many guys can perform like he has on the biggest stage regardless of age?

Bshaud likes this.
  13. Mr Chuck Norris

How did he perform outside of that one 3 pointer he hit in the finals.

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

You must of not watched the playoffs if you think that’s all he did. Especially playing Houston once again

Bshaud likes this.
  15. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

He was pretty damn good and helped the Durant less Warriors with their ball movement that destroyed the Rockets. By not retaining the bicentennial man the Warriors got worse.

AIg is one well conditioned cat with proportions that allow him to play much bigger a la his former teammate the dreaded Draymond Green. He caught how many lobs and finished? Got a couple good steals because of his defense and drove for quick finishes. He is better than most elite wings even at his age.

#315 Sanctity, Jul 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    D-rock likes this.
  16. Mr Chuck Norris

Iggy was only good in the rockets series where he was left wide open. Credit to him for making those shots though. But he didn’t hit a 3 in the conference finals and only hit that one 3 in game 2 in the finals. He stopped nobody and is a terrible shooter. I really don’t know why everyone is so anxious to get him. And if he was so valuable why didn’t GS keep him when they need a small foward right now.

AXG likes this.
  17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The rest of your arguments are fine, but the "why didn't GS keep him" one isn't valid. They couldn't keep him. The only way to keep Iggy was to make no roster moves except sign an MLE player. When Durant decided to leave, they got put in a situation where the only way to add talent was to SnT Durant for Russel. That slapped them with a hard cap and they literally could NOT keep Iggy in that situation. So it was keep Iggy and do nothing else or lose Iggy and add DLO who they hope is a good trade chip.

D-rock and Mr Chuck Norris like this.
  18. alethios

alethios Member

I wish we could just rent him for the playoffs - we don't really need him for the regular season.

Somehow, I think Morey will wait until December or trade deadline to pull off a trade for the piece we need to make a championship run.

Reeko likes this.
  19. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

We have no reliable C if Capela gets hurt. Chandler is almost washed and can’t play big minutes. How is adding another C a marginal improvement?

We have no legit PF. We have one SF, who also happened to flame out in the playoffs. How is adding help there marginal?

BaselineFade and Bshaud like this.
  20. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Scenario I've wondered about: Maybe Memphis allows Iggy and his agent to speak with other teams, and then once there's an "agreement," they buy him out as an unofficial condition of a separate trade. i.e. Houston sends Hartenstein, a 2nd, and cash to Memphis for some future pick that is unlikely to ever convey.

For Memphis, if Iguodala gave back $5 million-ish in a buyout — which I presume he'd be willing to do, if he got word Houston was willing to offer what's left of the NT-MLE — and Houston gave them, say, $3 or $4 million of its cash allotment... that's better financially for the Grizzlies than taking Shumpert at $13.2 million. In other words, maybe Memphis relents from the "we need a 1st" demand if they're only taking a $5M net hit in the deal, as opposed to the roughly $13M that would be owed to Shump.

Similarly, for the Rockets, Iggy at $5.5M and being hardcapped at the apron is a far better financial scenario (especially when considering the luxury tax) than a Shumpert S&T that lands you Iggy at $17M. Even if you have to give $4M in cash to Memphis to grease the wheels.

My apologies if this has already been discussed... just got back from vacation and am thinking out loud on this.

lionaire, jch1911, joshuaao and 2 others like this.