1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets making Terrence Jones, 18th pick available in trades

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 25, 2015.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

These writers...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">As the Rockets look to clear room for free-agent pursuit of LaMarcus Aldridge or Kevin Love, No. 18 pick is available, sources say.</p>&mdash; Ken Berger (@KBergCBS) <a href="https://twitter.com/KBergCBS/status/614160547165138944">June 25, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

THEY AREN'T CLEARING CAP SPACE BY TRADING JONES AND/OR THE PICK!

That does not give them max cap room for Love or Aldridge.

#81 J.R., Jun 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I dunno, I get the sense that the Rockets are trying to clear cap space for different reasons and that they are leaking interest in LMA and Love to drive the price up for other teams. You usually don't hear about the Rockets' actual targets till something is happening.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">As the Rockets look to clear room for free-agent pursuit of LaMarcus Aldridge or Kevin Love, No. 18 pick is available, sources say.</p>&mdash; Ken Berger (@KBergCBS) <a href="https://twitter.com/KBergCBS/status/614160547165138944">June 25, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3. spark06

spark06 Member

The scary thing about Harden is that he hasn't even reached his full potential and with plenty of years to come, he has the tools to become an all-time great.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

This whole cap clearing talk is nonsense until Trevor Ariza's name is mentioned

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

hopefully we trade both together and move up.

6. Space City

Space City Member

There's no chance of the Rockets clearing cap unless they get a commitment from either Love or Aldridge. And even then, I would expect them to pursue the possibility of a sign and trade to stay above the cap and retain the MLE.

7. GottaHaveHeart

Ariza, tjones, 18th, kpap, Dmo or capela S&T for LMA I'm sure money wise it works!

Portland just lost Batum and doubt they can get Matthews to re-sign

I don't think they want to blow it up...sure Allen wants to stay relevant and these young pieces is a heck of a young foundation

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

This IMO seems like an excuse for the Rockets to leak out publicly that they want LMA and Love to take a serious look at Houston in free agency. My guess is the Rockets felt like agents, and players weren't paying taking them serious enough as a free agent destination.

I really don't think they have any urge to trade the pick to clear cap. Its not about that. Its about gathering an audience and garnishing attention.

The Rockets do need to make SOME type of move that shows progression towards cap space, but let's face it. Its just to get their foot in the door like the Bulls did with Melo last year. We all know that the Bulls weren't going to be able to sign Melo unless it was a S&T. Same goes with the Rockets this year.

They need to create attention, and show goodwill to both guys that they need to pay attention to what Houston is doing to make a path to sign either.

Let's see how it works out, but I hope they don't prematurely move something or someone that doesn't need to be moved just yet. If they can trade the 18th pick for a similar pick next year than that's fine, but moving valuable assets now for cap space with no guarantee of even getting a meeting with a max free agent seems like a bad idea IMO.

9. NotChandlerParsons

Morey's playing all angles, doing due diligence.

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't think you need to worry about it. Morey isn't a fool. He got burned on the Lin trade last year when Bosh backed out, but he believed at the time he had a commitment.

11. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

Yeah, I don't get how these normally pretty good writers (Stein, Berger) don't know that we can't clear up more than $7-10MM in capspace to sign either. A trade of TJ + 18 can only be for a S&T, or to get assets for a S&T. Count me as very skeptical on Love. I just don't think he likes Houston that much (as compared to LMA) to force the trade, while it looks like LMA is out the door and could direct himself to HOU if he wanted to.

12. Raven

Raven Member

So you dump assets for space and then LMA chooses another team? Didn't we already go down that road? I don't think that's what is happening here at all.

13. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Last time Jones was made available for trade Morey ended up trading all our other PFs...

Hopefully we can get some value. Cant see who would give us a 1st. But is Toronto interested in Jones, 18 and Llull for Lowry?

14. RudyT43

RudyT43 Member

As far LMA or Love go, what is the point of gutting a team that made the WCF? Trade Jones and the 18th for Hornets 9th and draft Devin Booker. Young, dead eye shooter who has good passing ability and good size for a SG.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yup, Morey always dangles Jones, but no one ever bites. I could see that happening and the Rockets ending up being stuck with him again. Then again, Morey found a way to trade Lin so there's a chance he can find a way to trade Jones.

16. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Lets hope. Jones is a detriment to the team when it counts.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I just look at it as hoping that we get something for him before letting him walk for nothing next year. Something for nothing is awesome.

18. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

no way the hornets do that deal. jones and the 18th? for the 9th? more like a mid first round . youll have to throw in the 32nd along with jones and the 18th to move up to 10 maybe.

19. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

If you ain't first you're last, and the west is getting even better this year with KD coming back from injury, the Clippers finally getting a starting SF, and Aldridge going somewhere. You can't afford to be complacent in the NBA, especially not when Dwight is nearing 30.

1 person likes this.
  20. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Dmo would be some excellent injury insurance for either one of those guys