1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets making Terrence Jones, 18th pick available in trades

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 25, 2015.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Right. The Bucks do. He saying Bucks fans want to trade the 17th pick for Jones.

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Also I hope we learn from last year. Get a verbal promise, make sure the player says on his mother's life that he's coming here.

None of that...trade everyone to clear up cap space then the player deciding to stay in Cleveland or Portland for more money stuff.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

If the Rockets are actually trying to "get off money" to create cap space, the one salary they need to "get off" is Trevor Ariza's and Ariza is a pretty good contributor on a pretty good contract.

So, I don't see them pulling the trigger right this minute-- as opposed to after having actual discussions with the big $ free agents that they plan on chasing after July 1st-- unless the deal they get today is a no-brainer. You don't want to get rid of rotation players like Ariza and Jones and the 18th pick (for some future picks or what not) and commit to the cap room route without actually knowing that somebody is there to take the money that you can offer with that cap room. Besides, if a big $ free agent wants to come to Houston, a sign and trade involving these same assets may well be possible. Cleveland, for one, would probably love to have Ariza.

My guess is that the kind of discussion that Morey is having today are exploratory and contingent upon whatever is to happen in free agency. Just knowing the lay of the land on asset values help prepare for upcoming trades if they need to be executed.

4. malakas

malakas Member

True true..they think he can play center too..smh lol. But not only them. A lot of fanbases are excited if they could add jones. And some gms know less than fans. So i hope the ludicrous proposition that jones is worth a second rounder is put to bed now once and for all.

5. micah1j

micah1j Member

maybe other GMs thought we were unloading these 2 for nothing to clear cap space. That is what Stein said earlier today. That never made since to me.

6. basketballholic

Bingo.

7. NotChandlerParsons

That's kinda surprising, considering the Bucks already have one of the freakier frontcourts in the league.

8. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

KPap, TJones, Dorsey, and Prigs is where you find money.

9. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jones is Probably the 6th or 7th best player from that draft. Drafting late in the first round is a crapshoot. Jones has proven to be a solid player that still has upside. Depending on a team's situation, I think #17 is a justifiable price for him.

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Is it really? You take those salaries + Johnson as well only results to 10.934 million dollars assuming they can make that deal for no salary in return.

The guaranteed $ after that would equal 49.8 before rookie salaries against a cap of 66 million.

So the MOST cap space the Rockets could get by trading away all of these contracts for NO SALARY coming back is around 16 million.

Yeah, that's enough salary to sign a good free agent. Maybe enough for Paul Millsap, but is that enough for Kevin Love at 18.9 in year 1 and more than that for LMA???

No.

In order to sign Love, LMA, or any other max guy it either has to come from the Rockets trading Ariza, or a S&T. The idea that the Rockets calling around shopping someone like Jones and claiming it has to do with cap space is to prey on the naive. Obviously they are just finding a way to get offers they can fit into their bigger scheme.

11. Newlin

Newlin Member

Lol. Since when does an Internet message board make trades for an NBA team? In case you haven't noticed, a lot of people on the Internet don't have a clue.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Can you imagine how horrible it would be if certain people on this board were allowed to make trades?

13. NotChandlerParsons

I would part with a late teens first round pick for Jones, depending on the circumstances, it's just the Bucks already have a few frontcourt prospects. If anything I'd keep that pick and grab Jones/Grant.

14. spark06

spark06 Member

Or if they were allowed to refuse trades? God, I remember how many morons balked at the thought of Harden in a Rockets uni for a useless baby Lamb and K-Mart.

15. NotChandlerParsons

I believe the exact words used were "this is Trevor Ariza all over again"

16. spark06

spark06 Member

These are the same guys who would be cutting a check for Joe Johnson and bringing Oden in for a workout.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah....I can't say too much about "those" morons because I wasn't a huge fan of the Harden trade. I didn't really care about what the Rockets gave up, I just didn't think he'd be anywhere near as good as he ended up being.

18. spark06

spark06 Member

The Rockets gave up absolutely nothing and you STILL didn't like the upside of the move? Near-sighted. One of the biggest heists in NBA history.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Oh I agree, looking back it was the greatest robbery in NBA history, but I just didn't see Harden turning into Harden.....thankfully Morey did.

20. nobie

nobie Member

If we get either LMA or Love what happens to DMo? Does he get traded? relagated to bench minutes? somehow magically continue to start (would never happen tbh)?