1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Luncheon with Daryl Morey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Horry33, May 29, 2013.

1. Horry33

Horry33 Contributing Member

I recently purchased some season tickets for next season and was invited to a luncheon at Toyota Center where Morey talked for about 30 minutes. To be honest, he didn't share much info at all but I'm sure some of you are like me and will take any Rockets news you can get at this time.

DM: Most of the team will be back next year. We were the youngest team in the league. Just by adding one year under their belt, teams like ours will add 4 to 5 wins. So where we want to be trying to get to next year is that 50 win range. If we can add one of these significant free agents we feel like that could potentially put us in the championship contention. The models out there that we are similar to that we are trying to accomplish are OKC which was similar to us, similar age, similar to us in everything. Three years ago they lost 4-2 to the top seed just like us and then they progressed very well from there. The other team that has really done things the right way is Miami. First when they only had Wade, who we think is equivilant talent to Harden at a similar age, they planned their cap really well like what we are doing right now and they were able to add Shaq. Then they were very careful with their cap again when they added the players they added this time(Lebron & Bosh obviously). So that's sort of the plan, to go after some of the bigger free agents this year and if we don't get them then carefully manage the cap to get us to the 50 win range with most of the players we have now and keep our flexibility. We feel we took a big leap forward this season but we still feel we need to take another big leap forward whether that is through trade or free agency.

(Disclaimer: I'm taking some liberties with my summary of the Q&A to save time)

Q: The eastern conference is much easier than the western conference and how does that get evened out?

DM: It's not changing. Really you have to look at the owners and the western conference has better owners for the most part so the teams are better. We just have to keep fighting. Our goal is to win the title and even though our path will be harder it's still the same goal. It is what it is.

Q: You are known for being a different type of GM but who are the people you modelled you management style after?

DM: Primarily I did a lot of reading. Probably reading Bill James and his ideas of how to build a team before he was hired by the Red Sox. Danny Ainge was a forward thinking, smart ,former player that I took a lot from. And then Carol Dawson for one year. The owner Les Alexander is the unsung hero that does a lot behind the scenes. He consistently takes gambles on us so we can accomplish big things.

Q: Dwight Howard?

DM: I can't answer that. Let's just say we are going after 2 of the biggest free agents(obviously Dwight & CP3) and not being as agressive with the others.

Q: Could it be a package deal?

DM: There are some sort of very unlikely scenarios where that could happen. But it's very unlikey because like 20 things would have to align for that to happen. It would be very interesting but I have to live in the world of getting things done and that is very unlikely to get done.

Q: Do you feel this team is one player or one draft pick away from being a championship contender?

DM: Every team is one piece away and his name is LeBron. But if it were one of the 2 free agents that I can't name it would be significant. Draft picks are unlikely bring help to us unless maybe it's a rotation player but hopefully we won't have good picks. We have to do like the Spurs who get guys like Gary Neal or players like that. We need 1 more all star level player. The likliest ways of that happening are first free agency, then current player improvement, and least likely is through our draft pick.

Q: Thoughts on Thomas Robinson?

DM: He is actually here today(at the Toyota Center) working out. We have high hopes for him. We normally wouldn't have the opportunity to get a guy that was 5th in the draft and we are still high on him. He came in a tough spot of the season. This year we could have Dmo, Jones, TRob, Greg Smith, and potential the Turkish player all fight it out to see who's best.

Q: Will F.Garcia be back?

DM: We had to be careful with the cap so we had to let him go. Later on in free agency we would like to bring him back but it takes 2 sides to agree.

Q: What's plan B if you can't get Dwight or CP3?

DM: We would like to keep our flexibility and be open to other trades. By the way, I want you all to know it's safe to buy Harden jerseys or most all of our jerseys even though that has not been the case in the last few years. But our goal is to go for the big dogs in free agency and then be smart if that doesn't work to keep flexibility.

Q: With guys like Aldridge and Love being free agents the following summer is there any reluctance to spend this summer?

DM: Well that is an option. However, both of the guys you mentioned are not free agents the following year but that doesn't mean they won't come available because Harden wasn't a free agent either. Anyways, it's so hard to get an elite player so we can't pass up a big free agent in hopes of someone in another year. We have Harden all the way til he is 28 years old and we don't want to waste his prime. Look at the Blazers they were set up with Roy, Aldridge, and Oden so we don't want to take anything for granted.

Q: What is team's biggest team to improve?

DM: We don't like locking into a position because that gets you in trouble. The biggest need is an all star regardless of position except for SG where we have Harden. But our weakest spot is obviously PF but we don't want to bring in an average guy that stunts the growth of the young guys and hurts our flexibility.

Q: What do you think of how Patrick Beverly took over for Lin?

DM: Beverly played very well. I hate how Lin's season ended with the muscle pull. Lin had an unbelievable season. Unfortunately most people only remember the beginning and the end. At the start of the season jeremy struggled coming back from knee injury and ended with the chest injury but we are happy with how he played. Harden won the most games for Rockets, then Asik, and then Jeremy and CP were tied for third. So Patrick is going to be a nice rotation player for us at least the next 3 years with a very high ceiling. But about Jeremy, not to be defensive, but we were not expecting him to have 30 points a game 10 assists like he did in New York so we are happy with how he played.

Q: Are other GMs afraid to deal with the Rockets?

DM: No. Fortunetly, the egos in the NBA are really big so they are all really confident in what they do and they should be since most have accomplished more than the Rockets.

Q: How are you using the SportsView data that collects data on player movement on the court?

DM: We have overhead cameras along with 10 to 12 others teams. It's a lot of data and it can be used to analyze a lot of different things but we'd like to keep that pretty quiet. Everything you can think of we can track so it is a great advantage.

Q: How attractive is Houston to free agents?

DM: I always thought Houston was a great destination. Between the state income tax, our presence in China, and our players are guys other players want to play with. You could argue that only 1 to 4 destinations in the NBA are argueably better.

Q: Thoughts on Royce White?

DM: We are hopefully but he is dealing with a lot issues off the court. It was nice to see him on the court during the 2nd half of season.

Q: What are long term plans for Chandler Parson/

DM: (sarcastically) It's shocking that the first female that asks a question asks me about Chandler. haha. But he is our starting 3 and he is critical to our future. I would extend his contract now if they would let me but the NBA rules say I can't. He has at least 2 more years here and hopefully many more.

Q: Is Sergio Llull going to come over?

DM: It was great that Les Alexander gave us money to buy 2nd round pick a few years back to get him. Now the rules have changed so teams can't do that as much. He is #1 guard in Spain. Was MVP in one of the Euro cups recently. He is for sure an NBA ready guy. He won't come over this offseason but maybe the following one as his buyout gets lower. Now with Lin and Beverly it would be unlikely he'd play right now anyway. It's kind of admirable, he really wants to win a title in Europe and he was close this year. Before he comes over, he sort of wants to win big for Real Madrid's team because they brought him along this far in his career.

I think Daryl didn't say anything that he wouldn't mind all of us knowing so I feel okay sharing this with you all. Again, there is no breaking news in here but it took a long time to type it up so hope you guys enjoy reading it.

#1 Horry33, May 29, 2013
    Last edited: May 29, 2013
    77 people like this.
  2. Ynnis888

Ynnis888 Member

Thanks for sharing. :)

3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

awesome, thanks for sharing!

REP THIS MAN

4. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Thanks for the update. Always nice to get feedback from the GM.

5. pnr

pnr Member

Thanks man. Repped.

6. Commodore

translation: we are not using our cap space on any free agents not named Howard or Paul

forget about Milsap/J. Smith

1 person likes this.
  7. dvr4me

dvr4me Contributing Member

I was there today too and you did a great job! It helped me to remember some things I had wanted to tell my son.

8. Akkuron

Akkuron Member

Good read, thanks for sharing.

One thing:
    ...no, he wasn't.
    No biggie though, it was the least important part of the interview anyway.

9. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Translation: forget about Millsap/Smith at the prices they're likely to ask for. :) I still think Morey would consider Smith on a non-four-year contract that's bloated up front, but he has to put out the perception that he's OK with moving on to get Josh's agent to consider such a proposal.

10. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

Long read, but very interesting read nonetheless. Thanks a bunch, I gather that they are obviously going after Dwight and maybe CP3. But when it comes to DM no one, not even Chuck Norris, knows what he's going to do next.

Thanks again!

11. Commodore

this makes me happy

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

Yes. The fact that he said 2 FAs rather than 3 or 4 is very welcoming news. If we can't get CP3 or Howard, no need to hurry and get a much lesser player.

1 person likes this.
  13. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

welcome to the family make sure you bring the energy every home game from october to april

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

Morey's philosophy should preclude any chance that we ever sign someone like Millsap or Smith. Unless we already have 2-3 stars in place and simply need to fill a need.

There are basically 3 types of players you can have that maximizes the effectiveness of the cap.

1. Superstars as they are the most underpaid players in the NBA
    2. Rookie contracts as they are also cheap and underpaid, sometimes severely in the case of Parsons
    3. Players whose current value is below his future value, and therefore has a chance to outplay his current contract. Asik, for example, would easily be worth $10-12mil/yr if not more if he were a FA this year.

Players like Millsap and Smith don't fit into the Rockets method of maximizing cap use. I can imagine the Rockets sign someone like Pekovic or Splitter before those two.

1 person likes this.
  15. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Great work. Thanks so much for the effort of posting that. There are some real gems in there. Enjoy your season tickets, I hope to take a trip to Houston to see a few games next season.

I kept what I thought were the best parts:

Looks like cyberx was correct. Unlikely to trade for Howard. Most likely to sign Howard outright.

High on all the PFs including a the guy from Turkey. Don't some PFs need to be traded to create cap room?

Probably means we wont be signing any mid-level guys like Milsap or Anderson to long term contracts. Plan B is to keep cap flexibility and let our team grow, waiting for the opportunity to pounce on the next big fish.

So looking for a Star in any position except for SG. Means we are clearly chasing Dwight and CP3 this Summer

He didn't misspeak in the earlier radio interview - Lin won the 3rd most games for the Rockets (tied with Parsons) behind Harden and Asik. Saying "Patrick is going to be a nice rotation player for us at least the next 3 years", means Lin is starting over Beverley for the foreseeable future. Thank you for putting that debate to rest!

Parsons will play out his final two years and after that he's on the open market Put to rest rumours of an early deal to resign Parsons. We're gonna use for the next two years and then just try and outbid everyone else when the time comes.

16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Happy to hear it's Dwight or Chris Paul (I assume) or nothing. Did not want dudes like Millsap coming in

17. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Very interesting that he at least has dreams of adding both Dwight and CP3 through S&Ts. It becomes very very realistic, very very quickly if the players themselves get on board.

REPPED!

18. Yang_Wenli

Yang_Wenli Member

Is Furkan Aldemir a lock to join the Rockets next year?

19. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

There's a fourth criteria to consider, in my opinion, and it's the desirability of the team to prospective All-Stars. I think that's the one thing we've all seen evolve over the past year. Is Smith a "value" at a big-money deal? Probably not. But if he's a good fit for the system and plays well, which I think he is and would do, it accomplishes two things if the contract is short:

1.) It further boosts the perception of the team as a desirable destination for All-Star players
    2.) His contract would be movable in a deal for a future star via trade

I don't expect Smith to come here without Howard, but I wouldn't rule it out because it's a good basketball fit for both sides. It would allow Smith to re-establish his value and boost the fortunes of the Rockets on the floor. It's still unlikely for cap reasons, but I think Morey will toss out a heavily front-loaded two-year deal, and depending on the market, Smith may consider it.

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

He doesn't sound very hopeful about Robinson. Just another one in a fleet of young bigs with Jones, DMo, Smith, even Aldemir.