1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets looking to sell high on "Impactful Veteran Help" to Kings for higher pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, May 20, 2011.

1. SunsRocketsfan

how come we can only do deals with the Kings??

2. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

Kings right now are in pretty good position. They have three excellent offensive threats to build around in Cousins, Evans and Thornton and they really need a balanced player. They got few in Thompson and Garcia but they do need a shooter and defender for point guard position and defensive wing that could stretch the floor.

We can't give them those kind of players because Dragic is not actually ready to be a solid defensive player and they won't be interested in him and our defensive SF can't shoot with any consistency and he is probably a douchebag

T-Will, Evans and Cousins.... This team should not go to Anaheim. Alcatraz is waiting, boyz!!!

3. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I see the logic with the explanation, but seems backwards in regard to franchise player vs superstar.....I would think a franchise player would be that once in a lifetime entity...Because they bring an feel of immediate championship aspirations to a franchise..Superstars are a dime a dozen(Deron Williams,Wade, etc..) and as you can see they can be moved at anytime for the right price..... But you just dont trade a franchise player (Howard and James most notably) unless you are attempting to start over ...Bring in a new culture/regime

4. Nook

Nook Member

Exactly, and that is why he is essentially useless.

If you are going to monopolize the ball and flow of the game, you better be a true top 3-4 player in the league (Kobe, Rose, LeBron) or be a great facilitator (Nash, Paul).

That is why he is a Ricky Davis.

5. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Agreed on this thought. This is what makes me think there's nothing to see here.

Well, unless they want Martin back (unlikely).

But hypothetically speaking, if we decide to move Scola and Sacramento shows interest it's definitely worst pursuing since conventional wisdom indicates only a playoff-caliber team would want him in the first place, right? Keeping in mind: there's not many playoff teams that actually need a four.

6. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

If we can traded up to get Kemba or Kanter, I'm all for it.

Kemba is a winner and Kanter obviously has the size we need.

7. CXbby

CXbby Member

Hmm... maybe you're right and I got it the other way around. But you get my point anyways. I always saw the "franchise player" as the guy who was the face of the franchise that many teams had. I mean, Steve Francis' nickname was the "Franchise". And I don't think anyone in their right minds ever thought he was some "one in a lifetime entity" bringing eminent championships. Or was that nickname just a cruel joke on him...

8. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Well you cant base that theory off of Francis...At the time , Im sure everyone thought he was a "centerpiece" for a championship...Unfortunately , Mobley got into his rear...I mean "ear"

9. Nook

Nook Member

No, it was post-Olajuwon. For the first time in 20 years the team did not have a real franchise player, and they were desperately looking for someone to come along and take the title...

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If we trade scola for a high pick, we would also clear out enough space for a max contract.

1 person likes this.
  11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

why would you say that bro? he played super well last year and stayed healthy. Seriously i don't understand the Kev Martin hate. The guy is hitting his prime years.

12. Rox_Mayhem

Rox_Mayhem Member

I feel you clutch. :( Every year its the same thing. Do you think its Morey overvaluing the players ("His Assets")?.or scared to take a gamble

Moneyball Yay!!!........

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm all for trading a vet to get a high lotto pick. But, #7? Maybe Brad Miller.

I don't see any point in trading anyone of any significance unless it is for a top-4 pick.

Well, that and the fact that Francis/Franchise is a nice play on words.

14. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

Maybe for Bismack Boyombo!

15. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

If Biyombo is still available, later scola.

16. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

which players are significant as of now???

17. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Technically, it should be about the player and not the number of pick, but I get what you're saying. If we could find a way of swapping Scola with Thompson and moving up from #14 to #7 to do it, I might be interested if certain players are available (Kanter, Byombo, Vesely, etc).

18. Egghead

Egghead Member

sam_amick

Regarding today's notebook, not at all saying there's something brewing with Kings and Rockets. Independent situations.

19. RyanB

RyanB Member

20. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

What about scola + 14 + 23 for Cousins?