1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets looking to sell high on "Impactful Veteran Help" to Kings for higher pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, May 20, 2011.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Except WE are the DLeague team now!

2. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

I saw Valanciunas a lot in Euroleague games

He's amazing talent with huge upside but he's not ready to play in the NBA right now. He's too skinny and too soft to compede on the NBA level in future couple of years just like Pau was in Barcelona

[​IMG]

But when he'll eventually grow up, he'll be extatic. Lithuanian basketball programm is excellent one and if you are such naturally talented as him, it would give you every chance to become a very very good player

1 person likes this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

To rip off Pitino:

Folks, there is no Kevin Durant walking through that door.... 22 year old, two time scoring champions don't just fall from the sky.

4. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

I don't see how trading Scola for a lesser #7 helps anything, now or later, unless you're with the tanking theory that some "fan" proposed earlier. If it's going to cost Scola for that, I would decline and take whatever at 14. 50 50 chance that guy is as good or better than whoever is at 7, if you ask me. You just never know.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

RE: This being a weak draft.

I don't think whether this draft is strong or weak is directly relevant to a decision on whether to trade up to the 7th pick.

In such a decision, the only thing that matters is whether someone you value more than the guy you traded is actually available at the 7th spot. The strength or weakness of the draft overall doesn't matter much because you are only drafting that one guy.

6. Nook

Nook Member

The way I look at it, if there is a player that they like at 7, then you make the deal because in 2-3 years it is unlikely that Scola will be making much of an impact on the Rockets. So, even if the player they get at #7 is only a solid rotation player, it is better than an old, beaten up Scola in 2-3 years.

The Rockets are rebuilding... very obviously.

7. Nook

Nook Member

I agree, but the key is to make sure you do not overpay simply because the draft pick is high. For example, in this draft; the #4 pick is probably a guy that would go #9-#12 in the draft a few years ago.

Honestly, there is no sure thing in this draft. Players like Williams are getting hype because there is no one special in this draft, and the media needs to talk about someone.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You're not understanding how trading up works. It doesn't occur unless your guy is available. That's why there is 5 minutes between picks. You are finalizing the trade up then. Usually they just pick for you, and it doesn't appear to be a trade, yet.

So, there is never any fear of trading up without getting your man.

9. CXbby

CXbby Member

We don't need Kevin Durant. We just need a franchise player. Usually there are a couple of those in most drafts. Especially in a deep one like 2012 is supposed to be.

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Am I missing something or why do the Kings hypothetically want the soon-to-be (currently?) Scola-lbatross contract hanging over them for the near future? :confused:

11. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

What drafts you've been watching??.... A true franchise player comes around about every 4-5 years...There are great role players and maybe secondary stars every year or so ,but definitely not in most drafts....

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I guess we're all assuming that we aren't offering Kevin Martin back to Sacramento, not for the #7 pick in this draft, and that, if offering veteran help, what do we have outside of Scola that they might want?

The Maloofs are on record as saying they're going to spend money this coming year. Naturally they would say that to keep their last ten fans from abandoning them. We'll see what they want to spend their money on, player-wise.

13. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I think they need someone to take the ball out of Tyreke's hands, and stop him from being a ballhog

14. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

Is morey aquiring point guards and flipping them? Spanoulis, AB, maybe Lowry I wonder if thats the way he rolls? If so it makes sense he aquired Dragic to up his stock and trade him when its high.

15. anchel

anchel Member

Hmm, I wouldn't compare him with Pau, he's a tougher player, he's more competitive and very active on the court. At the same time, not that extremely talented.

He's more a Joaquim Noah type of player, with a better frame & wingspan and all that that entails. Similar to Asik defensively (still skinny, but similar talking about motor, size, mobility, intensity and fundamentals) with more offensive upside.

16. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

you'd have a better chance of somone telling Cousins to stop trying to rip point guards in the open court!!!

17. CXbby

CXbby Member

Obviously we have a very different definition for "franchise player". To me, a franchise player is simply someone capable of being the best player on a contending team. That does not preclude the team from stacking as much talent around him as possible in order to get there. That is very different from a "superstar", which I see as a single player capable of contending(or at least excelling) with little help around him. There are only a handful of those around the league and only come around once in a few years. Franchise players on the other hand come along quite often.

2010- John Wall, Demarcus Cousins. A little too early to tell.
    2009- Blake Griffin, Stephen Curry, Tyreke Evans(not really)
    2008- Derrick Rose, Kevin Love
    2007- Greg Oden(injured), Kevin Durant(superstar)
    2006- LaMarcus Aldridge, Brandon Roy
    2005- Andrew Bogut, Deron Williams, Chris Paul(superstar)

I think you get my point. Seeing as how we have neither a superstar nor a franchise player, I'd rather not be picky.

#57 CXbby, May 20, 2011
    Last edited: May 20, 2011
  18. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

I could see Jason Thompson being a buy-low type target.

19. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

I am not comparing him with Pau. I say that he's skinny and his body isn't ready for the NBA as Pau's was when he was around 18-19 YO

Jonas is smth like aggressive version of Biedrins with soft hands and better potential for offensive game in the future so it's a very very nice pick nowadays

20. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

Tyreke can't play without a ball in his hands just like Iverson, Rose, young Wade etc

He's way too ineffective off the ball. He don't even know how to play without the orange