1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Look Strong

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Gary Vance, Aug 3, 2010.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Exactly, and it is only 3 stars rating...what a shame.

NICE POST....good job, and welcome.

DD

2. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

Nice first post!

I would just like to point out about your point on defense that adding Yao will improve everyone's defense dramatically. Though Yao is not a shot blocker, his size alone disrupts many players shots near the basket. As most of you remember it looked like teams were having a lay up drill out there with Chuck holding it down at C. Our team defense should be top 10 next season.

3. Ketchup&Mustard

If you read my signature, you will notice my mother is an English P.h.d. Thus, any time someone delivers a post with such fantastic grammar, syntax, and vocabulary it is truly a pleasure to read. It doesn't hurt that the content is rich and optimistic either!

4. eman

eman Contributing Member

I agree with the OP. We may not have any Super-Duper-Stars, but we're pretty solid and deep at every position, like the Knicks of the early 70s. This could be a very fun team to watch. It's definitely an easy team to root for!

5. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Not true.

6. melvimbe

melvimbe Member

The depth we have allows us to get another star and still compete, unlike how we did it with the tmac trade. That said however, as already stated, depth allows you to keep your starters fresh. I don't see us like San Antonio though, and I've never thought of them as a deep team. They've always had quality role players who play their roles well. They don't have guys that can step in and replace Duncan, for example.

Our depth allows us to succeed without two stars because how can be that 2nd star on any given day. Right now, the entire starting lineup is capable of scoring in the 20s on any given night. The backups are all guys who can easily get you 10 or more (maybe not Hill). These aren't guys who get setup for easy points because the star is double teamed, but can get shots within the offense regardless of any stars.

Someone said we need defense and Yao, but primarily we need Yao for his defense.

7. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

I don't know depth proved key for us that year we took lakers to 7 games and in the portland series as well. I agree depth should not matter as much but that's for teams with guys who stay healthy and for us we got the big guy who is a unknown as far as health every season pretty much. Still crossing my fingers this is the year. :)

8. RyanB

RyanB Member

Healthy Yao
    Upgrade defense
    Add another star

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

He is not a hater. You, on the other hand...

10. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i agree w/ what you are saying. i would argue though that there are several players who can step up and be that 2nd star. on any given night scola, brooks or martin can be that 2nd guy who gets you 20-25. and to a lesser degree, ariza or budinger. like the 94 rockets - dream was the only true "star", but we had 3 or 4 others who could step up on any given night and put up 20 or so. one star surrounded by above average talent rather than 3 stars and a bunch of scrubs and geezers.

and i love the depth - quality at every position! i dont understand the argument that depth is overrated. as already mentioned though, they key to any success is the health of yao - w/out him i do think we could be a playoff team this year, but nothing more. w/ him i feel pretty darn good about our chances.

so we are like the pistons - we have 4 very, very solid players leading us - yao, brooks, scola and martin - w/ an even better supporting cast than detroit had. i like the 94 rockets comparison better though! ;)

well technically, right now we do have health - individuals may have health 'concerns' or 'issues', but at this moment everyone is good so lets go w/ that! but yeah, if yao goes down its all over - i dont think anyone has any illusions about that.

11. johnkamla

johnkamla Contributing Member

So we need stars to go deep in the playoffs? Who's to say we have no stars? When we pulled off the Kevin Martin trade most of us were blown away that we could get someone of such star quality for what we gave up. The guy has averaged well over 20ppg for the last 4 years and is one of the most efficient scorers in the entire league. Plays off Brooks beautifully and is taylor-made to play with Yao (Morey thinks). Brooks sure played like a star in the 09 Laker series then followed up with the MIP award. Scola showed he's a 20/10 guy given the opportunity. Add a healthy Yao and that's 4 players who could be your stars or at least 4 super solid guys that fit the Detroit formula.

To me the Rockets are the most balanced team in the league - not too dependent on 1 or 2 players. Of course you need chemistry as well, but I think we're likely to get there sooner than later because of the character of these guys.

This is a very interesting season. If Miami wins it all, it will confirm that the STARS formula is the way to go. If the Rockets win (don't laugh yet) it will validate the TEAM formula.

12. abigwreck

abigwreck Member

quoted for truth

13. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Depth motivates players to give maximum effort, knowing they can be replaced if they underperform.

We know Adelman goes with whatever is working, that no one on his team is entitled to minutes.

14. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

We know for sure we have an All-Star in Yao Ming regardless of his statistics. Luis has shown he is a star. Kevin Martin was a star with the Kings...there is no reason to believe he still isn't, especially once he learns to benefit from Yao. Aaron Brooks may be an All-Star. What second star are you talking about? I see 4 in the starting line-up.

We're taking more of a Detroit Piston TEAM approach. Didn't they make the Eastern Conference Finals 7 consecutive times and win a title? Only one title is unfortunate, but I'll take deep playoff runs over first round exits any day.

Good post, I wholeheartedly agree.

15. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Great first post and pretty well written. I agree with the optimistic outlook that the Rockets look very strong, at least on paper. We are definitely much better off this year than we were last year, due to the following improvements:

- Brooks has yet again improved his game to a new level
    - We managed to retain the core of our team by resigning Scola and Lowry
    - We actually have a serviceable big man in Miller at center and no longer need to rely on Hayes at the 5
    - Hill continues to develop and is certainly not a bust
    - Budinger has a year on the belt and showcased his court vision during the summer league
    - Taylor showed marked signs of improvement during the summer league, though his tendency to drive into thick traffic is worrisome
    - Ariza slides back into his natural role as a role player at the 3 spot and if the his performance after the deadline is any type of foreshadowing, he should be very productive there
    - Battier still has his intangibles, though he doesn't have much else to show for his contract and redundancy
    - Yao is coming back, which is much better than what we learned last offseason
    - Kevin Martin will actually have a chance to gel with his new team the entire training camp and season and has the offseason to heal up whatever lingering injuries
    - Patterson looks every bit as solid as he was projected to be, playing more like a veteran than a rookie
    - We don't need to worry about T-Mac drama, which I am sure did affect our team to some degree

16. YaoforPrez

YaoforPrez Member

Can someone explain why people think patterson is a 3-point threat?

He went 0/3 his freshman year of college - 0%
    He went 0/1 his sophomore year - 0%
    Then he went 24 of 69 for 34.8% his junior year

He went 2/11 for 0.182% in summer league

At what point has he ever proven he is a 3pt threat?????

17. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

I like this thread and the posters here.

I would be preaching to the choir if I were to repeat all the points I agree with you guys.

One thing I would like to add, teams like Miami and LA are beatable, and our team has the talent and depth to do it.

Our depth allows us rotate fresh players and work those teams stars as much as possible on the offensive and defensive ends with fresh legged attackers/defenders (our depth gives us guys who can lay it all out on the court without worrying about 4th quarter burnout because they know they will be coming out of the game).

We now have size and a shot blocker with potential shot blockers. This really changes the game for other teams offensively.

You can't double everyone on those Miami and LA teams but we are now just as big as Miami up front and we have proven we give LA fits in the playoffs. You can't double all our offensive threats either.

Our health and defense will be the key this season. I am looking forward to it and I'm very excited. C'mon preseason/season, get here already! ;)

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Look for Adelman to be in the running for Coach Of The Year award. ;)

19. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

I agree with the call about their strength. Martin/Ariza may have to learn to play with Yao, but having Miller there is going to be a huge plus.

I just don't know how teams can double on Yao with efficient outside scorers like Martin/Brooks/Ariza (when he's not the 1,2,3 option!) Battier and the craftiness of Scola. Even Patterson speads the floor and Miller has a good outside shot.

We'll be able to run fast so Yao won't have to cross half court with Brooks, Martin, Lowry and Ariza fast breaking and we'll have great half court creators.

Imagine Martin's quick high release with a Yao, pick and pop/roll.

I'm psyched.

20. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Martin doesn't have anywhere near a high release; it is simply insanely fast. His release is actually pretty low and he doesn't jump that much either. It would normally be very easy to block, if it weren't for the fact that he releases the shot in a blink of an eye. Budinger on the other hand has a very high release point.