1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets lone draft pick #34 2013 NBA draft

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Progs, Apr 14, 2013.

1. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

Man I have not kept up with the draft this year.:(smh

2. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Contributing Member

He led Duke in blocks per game. He's more athletic than Matt Bonner and can put the ball on the floor as well. He's not at Blake Griffin or Dirk's level, but he'd be a solid third-string power forward on a team like the Heat, Hawks or Nets (Disclaimer: all three teams have Duke alums running operations.)

3. basketballholic

Nobody is talking about Ricky Ledo. He's listed at #16 of the second round on draftexpress and as the last pick of the second round on nbadraft.net

In my opinion, after watching this kid play against nba players, if he is on the board when we draft, we should snap him up fast. This guy's skill set is off the charts crazy. He's a bonafide nba player and will likely become a star. The only question mark really is will he keep things on track off the court. Because on the court he is unbelievable.

Gotta take him. Gotta take him. Gotta take him.

I would be somewhat surprised if he doesn't elevate his draft status to first round with his workouts.

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I don't yet know anything about this guy so I can't agree or disagree with your assessment, but what to you is a "star"? You seem to know your s*** (unless I'm thinking about the wrong guy!), so it is interesting that you seem to think a guy who might not even get drafted will be a star. What specifically do you like about him, and why hasn't he been bigger news?

::EDIT::

After watching a couple videos on him, I will say that I like his quick release and that he has minimal movement in his release. That is a trait most good shooters share. But "star" still seems like a huge reach.

#104 Haymitch, May 15, 2013
    Last edited: May 15, 2013
  5. basketballholic

Star is a very good player. Yes, outstanding release on his jumper. NBA worthy no doubt. His entire skill set is great. Only question mark is off the court.

6. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I actually agree with you.

7. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Interesting player. There's no stats on draftexpress though.

8. basketballholic

Didn't play a minute of college ball, academic failure. But he was easily a top 10 recruit in 2012 by almost everybody. Just watch him play. Watch him shoot the J, handle the rock, finish and dish. Then watch him get burned by John Wall defensively. Yes, I said get burned. Wall burnt him on some of that rec league stuff. But remember the setting and what is going on there. And also remember, he swatted Wall a couple times too.

Ledo has the perfect size, length, and great skills to be a very, very good perimeter player at the NBA level. The only question about him is his noggin. I can't vouch for that. He obviously can't (or doesn't care to most likely) read, study, and learn in a classroom environment.

That doesn't predispose his basketball iq. Two distinct different things. But it does give cause for concern about his maturity and what kind of cat he is off the court. The glitz and glamour of the NBA has a way of just tearing down and ripping apart kids who are immature and otherwise don't have any wisdom or training or discipline off the court.

Still, I find it very difficult to believe that this kid makes it past the Nets and Knicks at the bottom of the first round. IF he makes it into the second round...this is the kind of kid you gamble on...he's the kind of project you trade or buy a second round pick to take a swing at. TMTTI - too much talent to ignore.

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

He sounds like a jerk. A very talented one though.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ICHYgCOrCU4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. htownfan_9210

htownfan_9210 Member

So something like Von Wafer?

11. OTMax

OTMax Member

I want Stephen Curry's brother, he says he's more like his father which is perfect. We need a 6th man straight shooter like Garcia or Delfino but younger.

12. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

im in this camp...if he learned anything how to shoot from his bro and dad...he will be lights out.

PLEASE get him lol

I see steph lite in his future.

13. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

I dont know what kind of video that was...but he is an athletic beast that has a super smooth and fast release.

Not even sure who to compare him too... usually its one ore the other.

Maybe von wafer...but he had a fairly slow release with an almost uncontestably high release point.

This guys release is almost as quick as kevin martin...but with much better form.

Id like to know what his percentrages were anywhere.

14. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Cody Zeller says he interviewed with Toronto, Portland, Houston and Boston. Denies wingspan is 6-8. Says closer to 6-11.</p>&mdash; Chris Mannix (@ChrisMannixSI) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChrisMannixSI/status/335070163248492545">May 16, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Is Morey considering moving into the top 10? Goodbye Parsons :cool:.

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

God, I would hope not. I think it's more likely that Zeller falls hard and at that point Rockets may be interested.

16. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

He apparently is coming into the NBA as a stretch 4 instead of a 5, so I'm sure Morey is very interested. :p

17. basketballholic

Good comparison athletically and skill wise I would say. Ledo is longer, undoubtedly more athletic. Probably about the same brain cells.

I would compare him to Bullock as well. A longer, more athletic Bullock with a handle.

18. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

Here's another one that the Rockets used one of their 18 allotted Combine interviews on:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Phil Pressey said he interviewed last night with Phoenix and Houston and will meet today with Brooklyn and New York.</p>&mdash; stu durando (@studurando) <a href="https://twitter.com/studurando/status/335088312123527170">May 16, 2013</a></blockquote>

19. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

And another...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Charlottean Seth Curry can't work out following leg surgery to stabilize a stress fracture. He interviews today with Lakers, Rockets, Knicks</p>&mdash; Rick Bonnell (@rick_bonnell) <a href="https://twitter.com/rick_bonnell/status/335100566827069441">May 16, 2013</a></blockquote>

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Meh. Not impressed.