1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets lone draft pick #34 2013 NBA draft

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Progs, Apr 14, 2013.

1. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

In my eyes, we have 8 pieces that are keepers: Lin (starting PG), Harden (starting SG), Parsons (starting SF), Asik (starting C), Beverley (backup PG), Jones (backup PF), Delfino (backup SF), and G Smith (backup C, since we go small).
    Using our pick, we should draft a backup SG (lets say Erick Green) and then sign Josh Smith (starting PF).

Lin/Beverley
    Harden/Green
    Parsons/Delfino
    Smith/Jones
    Asik/Smith

I feel that is a championship team. Smoove is that second defensive anchor we need who can also run with us. Green or maybe Kentavious Caldwell-Pope are both great scorers who can give Harden a rest. We could also sign Tony Allen to backup Harden with the money we have left after signing Smith.

In all, we need another scorer off the bench and someone who can defend with Asik. That would be the perfect offseason plan. A new coach would be nice too ;)

2. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Actually, the Rockets' first rounder (going to Atlanta via the Nets) will be the 18th pick. (Atlanta's own pick is 17th.)

Effective as of the moment Atlanta (or whoever else) makes the 18th pick of the 2013 NBA Draft, the Rockets will be free to trade any one or more of their own (non-consecutive) future first round picks. This includes their 2014 first rounder, since their 2013 pick will no longer be a "future" pick.

3. ric_flair

ric_flair Member

Rockets can not trade their 2014 pick because rules regulate, you must draft one player once every 2 years. unless this has changed the past year.

4. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Morey really should consider Lebryan Nash. The kid has some excellent upside for a 2nd round pick. Put him on a team with good hard-working players, he will blossom.

5. thegreekdbag

thegreekdbag Member

He's staying in school and so is Marcus Smart.

6. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Incorrect. Re-read my post. The rule is that you cannot trade consecutive FUTURE first round picks.

Once a pick is made, it is no longer a future pick. Hypothetically, a team could trade every one of its picks for a decade, as long as it waited until after its pick is made (by the other team) to trade the next one.

This is not a recent rule change. This has always been the "Stepien Rule".

1 person likes this.
  7. Progs

Progs Member

Adreian Payne from Michigan St will also come back to Michigan St... 2013 Nba Draft should be very WEAk... I wonder if teams wouldn't mind trading their picks this year for one for next year's draft...

8. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

You are right, as usual. Rockets give the 18th pick

And the Toronto pick ended in the 12th place.
    The Harden trade was wonderfull, and with the Toronto pick in the 12th, makes it even better.

9. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Contributing Member

Rockets should seriously consider Jeff Withey out of Kansas and the nation's leading scorer, Erick Green, out of VA Tech. Third-string center and third-string pg/sg will be needs to address.

10. Progs

Progs Member

Oh you are so on on these two picks... They are both polished and ready to contribute right away as valuable backups at Center and a combo guard...
    Erick Green is 6'3 1/4 with a longgg wingspan and a high shooting release... Withey is better offensively then giving credit to and is an amazing and very cerebral defender... Withey can jump HIGH... I just wish Rockets would draft one of these guys...

11. OrangeRowdy95

Good chance Withey makes the First Round cut given his size. People like him usually jump during workouts, much like Miles Plumlee did last year. Green should be available though.

12. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

I would take a hard look at Lucas Nogueira at this pick. I feel like he could fill in nicely at back-up center with his size (7'0") and athleticism (7'6" wingspan). He is very raw and needs development but being behind Asik or possibly another star big man.

13. the shark

the shark Member

With only a second rd pick at this juncture, my prediction is Morey has his eyes on Ryan Kelly of Duke. Big man who can flat out shoot it. With Harden, Lin and PBev able to penetrate, we need guys who can square up and stroke it!!!

14. TriCkz

TriCkz Member

Seth Curry.. man.

15. da_juice

da_juice Member

I'd be interested in him, if not for his very severe attitude problems. I don't think Nogueira can accept not being the main guy.

16. OrangeRowdy95

He'll likely go undrafted given his recovery from surgery. I'm sure the Rockets have already extended an offer to his agent for Seth to play Summer League and/or for RGV.

17. OrangeRowdy95

This seems realistic. Kelly is one of those guys who would've risen the rankings had he participated in workouts, much like Miles Plumlee did last year. His size and defensive abilities make him a perfect power forward for this team. I could see him going in the early 30's.

18. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

My thoughts on Lucas Noguira:

- He won't be a great rebounder in the NBA unless he gets much better on positioning. I've noticed that a fair amount of the rebounds he manages to get a lot of rebounds because he is just way too athletic and bigger than his competition.
    - Excellent shot blocker
    - I think he can be a decent jump shooter ( His mechanics on his jump shot are solid)
    - Poor help defender.
    - Footwork needs help
    - Decent basketball IQ
    - Good at finishing around the rim
    - Too frail for the NBA

Comparison: John Henson

He has a lot of upside, and a lot of correctable flaws in his game. If he is put on a team with a winning culture and veterans, he will be a steal 2-3 years down the line. I highly doubt he will be available in the 2nd round, just because of his upside.

19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Did you just use the word "defense" in the same sentence with Ryan Kelly?

20. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

His defense was good in college, but I agree that it won't translate to the pros. He just doesn't have the lateral quickness to guard the stretch 4's, nor the bulk to battle with the more traditional forwards.