1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets lone draft pick #34 2013 NBA draft

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Progs, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Big Red Machine

Weak draft, weak draft, weak draft.

Are you just parroting what you've heard and read or do you really think this is a weak draft?

2. basketballholic

This is a weak draft for superstars. Probably only 3 star-level players. But it is loaded with role players. Lots of second rounders will become solid rotation players on value contracts out of this draft.q

3. Pragmatician

Pragmatician Member

As the SN suggests, I really like Brandon Paul at #34. I don't care that he's a small SG with not much potential to play PG, as folks say. He can score at will.

James Ennis and Kenny Kadji are also nice players to look at.

4. Big Red Machine

If you're talking about 2nd round picks, why even mention it being a weak draft?

Just seems like too many people think this draft will just downright suck. It's actually a pretty deep draft. I agree with you that, on paper, it lacks superstars, but people also though Kyrie Irving was one of the more weaker #1 picks.

5. sydmill

sydmill Member

Big Red: what i think is irrelevant, but if you want to know i think there are 10 or so legit, long career prospects who have a better than average chance. That being said, the second roung is always a crapshoot as youre selecting players most every other team has passed over. In my time as a follower of the draft the copy cat nature of the league has lowered the chances of finding those gems late in the draft (as teams glommed on to scouting first the high schoolers then the international players and I suspect now the small school players.). So is the draft weak top to bottom? Probably not. But I suspect the guys who used to be available in the early second to go late first possibly as no team wants to miss out on the next Parson (Wolters, upperclassman white guy), Smith (JR or Josh)(Ledo, who is essentially a hs player) or Asik (Jaiteh, mysterious, likely raw, international big with all the right measurements).

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think 3 is very high. I don't see ant top 20 players

7. Pragmatician

Pragmatician Member

Carter-Williams looks to have star potential.

8. basketballholic

I don't see any. I said star-level, not superstars. I think there may be 1 or 2 guys in this draft that crack the top 20 but that's about it. And they most likely will never get to top 10 status. However I think 3-4 of these guys could wind up as high as 15-40.....and I do think there's a lot of guys like Reggie Bullock, etc. that will make great rotation parts on championship level teams.

9. Pragmatician

Pragmatician Member

10. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

I think he might be a good fit as the 3rd PG in a combo guard role. Lin starts, and is the most balanced PG on the roster, Beverley provides the energy spark and defense, and Green could provide offense off the bench in a catch and shoot role and some PnR play if the situation requires.

Despite comparing himself to Devin Harris, Green reminds me a little of Aaron Brooks. Very good shooter and ability to create shot via separation, but poor defensively. He's a SG in a PG's body (but with good wingspan of 6'6), but with his weight and height he's not going to defend SGs in the NBA, and despite his improving passing game, he's not a real PG either.

But next to Harden is where you can play these types of players for 8-12min a game, assuming his defense can hold up better against PGs. And he looks great in transition, where he'll fit right in with the Rockets system.

And as AB is probably going to be released ahead of the chase for Dwight, I think there's a need for a 3rd PG on the cheap. As a senior, he's likely going to be more ready also.

In this role as 3rd PG/combo guard, he's got time to get stronger and improve defensively. But we really do need a shooter/creator out of the back-up PG position, and Green could be a candidate.

Another candidate is Isaiah Canaan. Also not a great passer at PG, but less of a issue on the Rockets with Harden. Very good shooter, both off the dribble and in spot-up situations, senior, and very mature.

Canaan and Green are projected to go late 1st to early 2nd, and their lack of real PG skills may drop them a little for other teams, but for the Rockets may be good fit pick-ups.

Of course, the other way to go is to get a veteran free agent on the cheap, say a Daniel (Booby) Gibson, who's coming off a career-worst shooting year due to injuries and may not get much interest from teams. Definitely one of those late July to August cheap pick-ups that Morey is good for (like Delfino and Dalembert).

#310 mike_lu, Jun 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  11. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

I'm not a big college hoops guy, but if I was in Morey's shoes, I would try to get a tall SG with a big wingspan who only needs to be an adequate ball handler and passer, but is a great shooter off the catch, and can defend NBA-level-quickness PGs. And get him to play the role of a Steve Kerr/John Paxson/Matt Maloney PG, except with better defense.

I'm not sure anyone like this exists.

Basically because of Harden's strengths and flaws, the Rockets can afford to play PGs that aren't great facilitators or passers, as long as they are great floor spacers/ shooter off the catch, but we also need a great defender because of Harden's indifference to playing that end of the floor.

12. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Not for the #34 pick, but if we pick up a late second like we did with Furkan last year, this guy is an intriguing pick and stash prospect.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Nemanja-Nedovic-6316/

Great athleticism, reminds a little of Goran Dragic, but still lots of flaws in his game as well as inconsistent.

But at around pick 50, could be a good back-up combo guard in a few years, perhaps even as good as Goran in time.

13. basketballholic

You're describing Ricky Ledo in this draft.

14. Pragmatician

Pragmatician Member

Will some of the more senior members on this board tell me what they do/don't like about Brandon Paul as a pro prospect?

Is it simply because he's 6'4" and not 6'6"?

I'd like some insight.

Thanks a lot.

15. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

He's predicted to go in the first now. But I would like to have him.

16. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

A mock draft has us drafting Glen Rice...

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2013/

If he's on the board when the Rockets draft, Morey will snatch him. He could help off the bench now and never know if Morey will want to pay Parsons the big bucks and or use him in a trade.

17. Pragmatician

Pragmatician Member

How about Marquette's Vander Blue?

Some see him as a mid-2nd Round pick. Others don't have him being drafted at all. Nice size at 6'5" 197. Jumps through the roof. Can take over a game if he needs to.

18. Pragmatician

Pragmatician Member

Temple's Khalif Wyatt is being overlooked big time. He's an old school Philly guard who can flat out play. It's hysterical that he's not on the 'experts' draftable list just because he isn't 2 inches taller.

19. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

I've seen him quite a few times since I follow the Big 10... Brandon Paul imo just isnt very good. He is a chuck er and never really seemed to take over games when he needed too. I mean its not like this team needs more perimeter scoring.

He was a disappointment in my eyes cause I thought he would improve more, but he really didnt show much more.

20. Pragmatician

Pragmatician Member

I agree, he has glaring weaknesses. As far as 2nd Round looks go, we could do a lot worse.

Houston has worked out Khalif Wyatt, another one of my underrated prospects. The article is about a Wizards workout, but it mentions that he worked out with Houston previously.

http://articles.philly.com/2013-06-09/sports/39836080_1_khalif-wyatt-washington-wizards-workout