1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets likeliest team to trade for Rudy Gay?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thevirus, Jul 28, 2016.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I agree... Though would note that such agreement envisions an Ariza that is better than last year. Maybe not peak Ariza but better than last year.

Gay is attractive in combo with Ariza. Go small with either at the 4. Sub defense/offense where appropriate, etc.

Not sure how the rumored deal gets done without Trevor though.

2. gdinamite

gdinamite Member

Can we get Gay and Rubio?

3. ballgame

ballgame Member

I wouldn't do KJ and Ariza. We need to keep a defensive presence on the parameter

4. OTMax

OTMax Member

Aiza for Gay no way!

5. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I think how poorly he's played on his best teams is a very good indicator of how well he'd play for us.

6. Sanity2disChaos

I didn't say that.

Gay would only be necessary if we trade Ariza for a clear upgrade at the PF spot.

7. Sanity2disChaos

Fixed

8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Great fit for a Suicide squad.

9. Sanity2disChaos

I'd rather rubio (in conjunction with Bev) over Ben.

10. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

No offense, because it's not just you, but people really need to stop making the comparisons to Shawn Marion. We're talking about two players who have almost nothing in common.

Marion was the Draymond Green on that SSOL Suns team. A guy that played fantastic two-way basketball, did all of the dirty work, scored without having plays called for him and basically served as a super glue guy. Gay is a player that likes to play one-on-one and needs touches. Rarely scores on cuts and collects garbage points like Marion did. One player is your protoypical ball-stopper; one was the polar opposite. Offensively, they're literally nothing alike.

That said, I do think its entirely possible for a player like Gay to be so widely dismissed as overrated that he might actually become underrated because of it. Happened to Zach Randolph and others before the light finally turned on and they were able to start contributing to winning causes. Do I think Gay would hypothetically produce in a MDA offense? Absolutely. Would those numbers actually help us win basketball games, though? That's the reason we're even having this discussion about Gay in the first place.

11. hakeemthagreat

In all due respect, Shawn Marion is NOT the player Gay is offensively. Overrall, Marion was a better player. But if Marion can get points in a D'Antoni ran system then Rudy Gay can be special. All the things you mentioned being the difference, cutting, hustle points, etc..are things ANY player can learn to do in a limited amount of time. We're talking about Rudy Gay being a 3rd scoring option, playing 25-33 minutes a game, possibly coming off the bench. I'd take a player as skilled as he is as a 3rd option any day. More pressure off Harden

12. hakeemthagreat

Is that the same indicator you used for Josh Smith the 1st year he came here? The same Josh Smith who saved our season against the Clippers & had a overall great playoffs?:rolleyes:

13. Jontro

Jontro Member

So are we getting Gay or nah?

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Ariza for Gay then Bev for Lou Will or BKnight

Lets go full no defense.

15. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Gay is not as bad a defender as people make out. Ariza is a better defender but Gay is probably a neutral commodity. I'm more worried about his huge decline on the other end of the floor.

16. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Still wondering if maybe just-signed 30-day-wait rookie contracts are the holdup for any deals being discussed.

Of course, it could be anything. But I doubt we're going to war with our crew as constituted. At least, I hope it isn't the case.

Doesn't really matter in the end. Durant - Curry - Klay - Punk in the West, Cleveland in the East. Rinse. Cycle. Repeat.

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Married for 3 days and already curious?

18. jeevinesh

jeevinesh Member

Unless one of them get injured - if Durant or Curry go down, things will definitely get interesting. The Warriors aren't as deep as before and I honestly do think that teams with big front lines will cause problems. Draymond can only do so much and they were already killed last year with OKC and Adams, Ibaka, Kanter.

Unfortunately, I think the entire league is moving away from strong rebounding bigs so this will play right into GSW's hands. Interestingly, with Gasol and LMA, the Spurs might be a really tough challenge for them.

You can't beat GSW at their own game. You have to outrebound them and POUND the heck out of them on the inside. I don't think Cleveland as it stands will be able to push them next year.

As a side note, I've been watching Embiid highlights and if this guy gets it going next year along with Jahlil and Nerlens Noel thats a really good front line that will cause GSW fits. Too bad they aren't going to make that leap next year unless they get an awesome coach. Philly on paper is a really really good team if Ben Simmons is the real deal.

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

FIFY.

20. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

uhhh...Josh's best years were with the Hawks who were a good team through his peak. Not sure that's the poster child you're looking for but keep looking if you'd like. I'll check your work for you.