1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets likeliest team to trade for Rudy Gay?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thevirus, Jul 28, 2016.

1. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Rudy Gay would be a good get.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I would trade Brewer, Beasley, and next year's 2nd round pick to never have to hear Rubio's name ever again.

3 people like this.
  3. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

LOLOL!!!

4. basketballholic

Are you going to quit on the team when we trade for him then?

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I very much doubt that will ever happen. The reason I'm so tired of having to hear about him is because he's one of the worst fits for this roster and we've been hearing about it for years. The only bright side is that we're not having to hear about Rondo anymore. People just seem to really want to force PG's that can't shoot into the conversation with the Rockets.

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

More Codman posts please. More Millsap please. :)

7. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Could another bird be somebody like Robin Lopez?

8. koby1868

koby1868 Member

Bobby come on man, Rubio would thrive in our offense. He wouldn't have to shoot. He didn't fit the old offense.

9. basketballholic

Well you're a good poster. We agree on must rockets related stuff. I would hope if we acquire him that rather than quitting on the team that you would re-examine the reasons why we acquired him.

IMO, the best fit PG next to Harden would be Chris Paul. Of course, IMO, CP3 is the best PG in basketball. (Yes, even better than Curry because of his defense.) But Paul isn't available. (But he may come available next summer...possibly.....But not a guarantee.)

Since Paul is not available but Rubio and others are I see Rubio as the best fit next to Harden. Primarily because Rubio is great at everything Harden is poor to mediocre at doing. He's a great defender. He's a super low turnover player even though he actually handles the ball more than Harden does. And he's a great imaginative creator and distributor, something that Harden is mediocre at because Harden is primarily a scorer. Meanwhile Harden is great at the two areas that Rubio is poor at, shooting and finishing.

So in my opinion Rubio is the perfect fit. Not a 3&D guy like Bev. Not another high turnover driver/disher like Lin. Not a great shooting poor defender like Canaan.

We have to have great defense at the point because Harden is a terrible defender at the point, a poor defender at the 2, and an average defender at the 3. So we gotta have defense at the 1. We also need planning at the 1 more than shooting. We've seen the Beverley experience for a couple seasons now. Doesn't work. In crunch time the best teams collapse on Harden and we have no other playmakers to go to. Doesn't matter how well they can shoot when they are spotted up if Harden can't get the ball to them.

And therein lies the rub. Having shooters around Harden may yield him an extra assist per game on his average. But it isn't going to cut his turnovers. Because the bulk of his turnovers come grim being pressured and either throwing the ball away or getting it stripped away on the dribble.

Is spacing going to fix all that? Ummm, no. Because the best teams are still going to shut Harden off and force somebody else to beat them. That's when you see Bev and a Brewer running around like headless chickens trying to make a play.

It's not just a simple as getting 4 shooters around Harden. You have to have all skills on the floor. I believe in shooting as much as anyone if not more. It's the first skill that all young ballers should strive to be good at. But you also have to dribble, pass, and defend. You have to have multiple players on the floor for the bulk of the game that bring all those skills to the table. At least two or three great shooters, two outgrown three great defenders, two or three great ball handlers, and two or three great defenders.

While it would be nice to have a PG who is a great shooter/finisher and great defender and great distributor....all wrapped up in one player....those guys are very, very rare and even more seldom available. So since that is the case you have to examine what skills the TEAM is lacking. We just dished out over $240 million dollars to shooters/scorers (Harden/Gordon/Anderson). All three guys are turnover machines. They all commit a high number of turnovers. We've also got Beverley who is a relatively low turnover player who would be classified as a shooter. We've also got Ariza who, at his age, has no offensive skills left besides catching and shooting. He's a disaster when he puts the ball on the wood or tries to create with a pass. Not only all these but we've also got Beasley, another scorer/shooter and we are probably going to acquire another shooter to go with what we already have.

So we're not devoid of shooting now. And we're not going to be devoid of shooting. This is not last season. We've already added shooting. But we've also added turnovers and subtracted defense and rebounding along while adding some minimal playmaking minutes in 39-year old Pablo.

So contrary to the media blitz, in today's NBA, not everybody has to be a shooter. Look no further than the last two championship teams. Although those teams had excellent shooters on them they also had non-shooting defenders/playmakers to help their teams win by creating open shots for the great shooters.

Our team is presently lacking in defenders, great ball handlers, and great passers/distributors. While you can't win without shooting, neither can you win without great defenders, ball handlers, and passers. Those are the skill components we need to add the most and Ricky had all of those skills in spades. That's why I believe now more than even in the past that short of Chris Paul there is no better fit fit for this team than Ricky Rubio.

Hopefully if he is traded here you take the time to understand why we acquired him by applying the basketball knowledge you have in some manner similar to what I just did to convince yourself that he is the best fit next to Harden.

#249 basketballholic, Aug 1, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  10. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

And here we go with a new Rubio thread. Seems each thread that gains in popularity among viewers eventually becomes a Rubio thread. It's like there is some inanimate force drawing every thread towards him or is it a person? Hmmm!!

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Hopefully Bobbythegreat isn't bored today. This could go on for 2 pages easy.

Rep to Bobby if he doesn't respond to basketballholic derailing another trade thread that has absolutely nothing to do with Codman's news. Hell, that's probably just a cut and paste post by holic, anyhow, from one of his other half-dozen or so derailed threads.

12. basketballholic

I have received multiple source information that confirm this OP. Gay would be still another shooter/scorer who cannot facilitate an offense. It appears it will be a cheap acquisition helping us drop some longer term salary. And/or there is a small chance that this acquisition mushrooms into an acquisition of Big Cuz.

With the addition of still another shooter/scorer the scales become tipped even further in the direction of acquiring a distributor like Rubio.

#252 basketballholic, Aug 1, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  13. heypartner

Is one of them Codman?

I too have received multiple source information that confirm this OP, yesterday when I did a search on twitter for #rudygay. I mean there is like dozens now after the OP was created.

Who else here is reading tweets from multiple sources about Rockets likeliest team to trade for Rudy Gay?

14. OTMax

OTMax Member

Hollic is full of it, always backing a known insider. Three can play that game.

15. heypartner

Did you read Codman's post, too, and believe "Firesale" refers to Rudy Gay? That means you are connected to an insider, too. You can add more insiders by doing a quick search on Twitter for the OP trade, and clicking the "Follow" button.

Now, make a post stating that a trade with Sac is imminent (without mentioning your sources) and tack on personal speculation (via some type of cap mumbo-jumbo, or arguable chemistry fit) how the move will involve your favorite player, then you are half way there. After that, you are free to say in other threads that our target really is your favorite player based on your multiple sources.

and voila, you can now derail all threads regarding your favorite player.

16. abaker28

abaker28 Member

A quick google search on RG has a number of articles linking him to Spurs as the likely destination.

17. heypartner

So, your multiple sources are saying SAS. Interesting. Tell us more.

18. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

Robin Lopez can't be traded yet since he just got traded.

19. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I disagree. The cap is going up again and the Ariza, Beverley and Brewer contracts are valuable, moveable and/or going off the books. The Anderson and Gordon contracts hardly equal being locked in to anything.

20. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Not necessarily - he can be traded by himself (but that is not likely). It expires on Aug. 21st.

Also, I think Cod was referring to Brook - I think being key phrase here.