1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Lifesize poster

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by windfern, Sep 19, 2007.

Tags:
  1. windfern

windfern Member

guys, i'm thinking of decorating my garage with a lifesize posterof the entire rockets roster. Of course this year's roster, the dream team. I'd like to have this printed out by myself, send a picture file to a printing company. is this legal? where can i get such file?

Thanks.

2. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Hard to find life sized ones....i have the T-Mac and Yao life sized growth charts from the giveaways....

3. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Media day is coming up soon I think. There should be a good team pic taken there.

4. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

ya, buy a high quality picture from getty when the media day comes. and send them to a professional printing company. They should be able to make a decent poster out of it. but i would think it will cost a lot.

5. windfern

windfern Member

thanks. getty?

6. WildSweet&Cool

1) You need to have a picture with a LOT of resolution. A digital camera would probably not give you enough res, so you'd probably have to take an analog photo and have it scanned with a high-end scanner. You'd need the original photo (or negative) and have to pay to have it scanned.

2) It would cost you a lot of money, but you'd need to have it large-format printed, probably off of a wide inkjet printer. Some places who do this:
    A&E Reprographics
    Service Inc. Visual Communications
    Thomas Reprographics
    Ridgways Reprographics

3) Once the print has been created, you would also probably need to have it laminated (one drop of water on an inkjet print can ruin it) and mounted on foam-core or gator board (gator board will be too hard for you to cut, so you would need to choose foam core). Then, you will need to get out a razor blade and cut it out yourself (or pay them to do it).

It would be really cool, but I think it's cost-prohibitive.

Those places can probably also do the high-end scanning for you, but you must make sure that you own the photos or it is legal for you to do it, or they probably will refuse.

7. windfern

windfern Member

Wow. Thanks man, that was simple, sweet and kewl.

8. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

http://muralsyourway.com/

It may actually be easier to do something like this. I don't know exactly what it costs, but I have seen them do it in basements on some of those design shows on TLC and HGTV.

If you get a good company they can look really cool.

Though I don't know if they will do it with a professionally taken picture.

You could look into it though.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

what's the product, phathead or fathead. the commercial with the guy with the huge camara is hilarious.

10. WildSweet&Cool

I used to work in the wide-format graphic equipment business.

But, ya know..... Equipment technology has improved dramatically since I left the industry and I'm certain that prices have dropped. It may not be as un-affordable as I think. A cheap and easy way to find out is to call A&E (they are probably the best company in town for that) and see how much they charge for a large-format inkjet print, mount on foam core, and laminate.

They're gonna quote a "per square foot" price. Take your biggest player, Yao... he's about 8' by 4'.... so 32 sq ft..... you get the idea.

11. windfern

windfern Member

Maybe I'll just collect them individually and paste them on the wall. Fathead isn' tbad at all.Thaks.

12. WildSweet&Cool

Actually, I misunderstood you.... I was thinking of one print for each player. If it's one picture of the entire team.... hmmm.... that'd probably be about 8' by 24'.... a total of about 192 sq ft. That'll help you with a cost estimate when you talk to them.

Post back here with whatever price they quote you. I'm interested to know what today's prices are.

13. windfern

windfern Member

14. WildSweet&Cool

15. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Fathead blows.

They have an "NFL Legends" group that doesn't include Earl There are no legends for the NBA, thus, no Dream or Clyde.

Wake me when they get someone I'd like to put on my garage wall. Troy Aikman doesn't cut it.

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I was going to get one of the Fathead wall sticky thingies... then I saw the price and thought they were a bit overpriced...