1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets, Lakers, Hornets trade now dead

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Dec 8, 2011.

?

CP3 to LAL, Gasol to HOU, Odom/Scola/Martin/Dragic/pick to NOH. Do you like the move?

1. Yes

332 vote(s)
    36.2%
  2. No

585 vote(s)
    63.8%
  1. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Chuck is probably going to Sacramento anyways.

80% chance I feel we will get Nene.

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Unless one of our young players break out like Morris, D-Mo, Twill, Patterson, or Flynn.

The total success of this team really depends on them.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Nailed it.

4. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

let's see.

NO got Scola Martin Dragic Odom and 2 picks. Sounds like a pretty good team right there.

LA now has nothing other than Bynum to trade for Howard. And they cannot sign Howard next year without Howard taking a huge pay cut if they cannot trade for him.

5. finsraider

finsraider Member

Lowry / Flynn
    Lee / TWill
    Budinger / Morris
    Gasol / Patterson
    Nene / Hill

Still need a couple guards to truly compete this year. Can't expect Budinger to cut it as a starting 3, or Morris to contribute as a rookie.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Doing cartwheels, no doubt. Hell, does he even like Gasol? I can't remember.

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

All I know is I bet Bima is going crazy right now and has probably already written 5 different salary cap updates in the past two hours.

8. solid

solid Contributing Member

Will you? Nene, Pau, and Hayes would be a pretty strong front court. Defense and Offense.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

This deal is the same. Mediocre before. Mediocre after. Wheels spinning. This is not progress

1 person likes this.
  10. zooch

zooch Member

Chicago better get on the phone with Orlando quick cause Lakers is still gunning for Howard.

Paul, Bryant and Bynum do not scare me. But Howard in LA does!

11. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the assumption is, we're about to blow this cap flexibility on Nene. I'm not going to even entertain the thought that it gets blown on Dalembert, because that would be horrifying.

Part of the issue here is, we've actually lost a good bit of flexibility. Scola or Martin could be packaged with the prior mentioned young talent to land a star on a reasonable contract. Hell, it's basically what LA used us to do (minus the Okafor for Odom component). Gasol on his 19m contract is actually pretty hard to trade, and the rest of our team doesn't make enough money to be traded.

Back to the cap flexibility. If we sign Nene to a 12m per year deal (and I won't begin to berate the idea of 12m+ per year for a guy who's never averaged 15 points, 8 boards, or 1.5 blocks while playing in a high paced/possession offense...he's frankly not elite at anything), we've got 31m per year tied up on Nene and Pau for the next 3+ years. There went most of your cap flexibility.

I don't mind Gasol. I think he's about as good of a #2 guy as you can find. But I don't see the #1 guy that comes with him in the near term, and by the time you can maybe acquire or develop one, Gasol is over the hill.

2 people like this.
  12. Drawkwa22

Drawkwa22 Member

would be interesting to see if moray goes for marc gasol and NOT nene... brothers in the front court... instant chemistry?

13. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

I have a feeling we could get Ariza back. New Orleans has to send out something more.

14. pacmania

pacmania Member

Gasol is a legitimate two way player. the only question is the desire. I actually believe Gasol now has a chip on his shoulder being written down by the Lakers through the trade. Only time will tell if he plays with the same desire in Memphis that made them competitive in the playoffs and LA during its championship years.
    He will easily become the number 1 shotblocker on this team. I think patterson is likewise an underrated shotblocker.

Rockets are now taller, more athletic, improved shotblocking, and ready to run with other teams. Looking at the lineup , the team looks solid defensively. Lowry and Lee are a solid defensive backcourt combination and are pretty sound in terms of offensive skills. They are both slashers and good penetrators that will draw a lot of fouls and exploit good penetration opportunities.

In the previous season , we were scoring a lot of points but were deficient defensively. Morey is probably going after good two way players which will improve the team immensely on both ends of the floor.

15. midgetballa624

I like how some people here are just automatically assuming we're gonna sign Nene now. Even if we do sign him, I don't see a combo of Lee, Williams, Bud cutting it in the backcourt.

16. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

no way. memphis will match. everyone knows that.

17. Garner

Garner Member

Do you even show up to the games anymore, Luke? We got rid of Mbenga last year. He is a hot commodity.

18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

What do you think should have been done instead then, realistically?

19. abcd1234

abcd1234 Contributing Member

this deal is only worth it if it means Pau + Nene, which i do think will happen

20. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I'm not the biggest Nene fan in the world but he is a legit low post scorer. It looks like the point of this trade is to team Gasol and Nene. Talk about moving our scoring out of the back court and back into the front court.