1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets & Knicks Basketbal Breakdown

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by roxxy, Dec 19, 2012.

1. roxxy

roxxy Member

Here is a break down that I watch diligently. He breaks down a lot of NBA games quite regularly & runs a pretty cool website.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3FTAWs3dy1g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He does a break down of the Rockets Knicks game & touches on both teams offense & defense.

http://www.bballbreakdown.com/

Enjoy

3 people like this.
  2. Grigori

Grigori Member

Haha in the collateral "Why they fired Mike Brown":

"Brown’s offense was, for lack of a better term, a hot steaming mess. It consisted of isolations and weakside players standing around, creating the most difficult shots possible..."

Hmm. That sounds familiar...

3. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

Interesting on the Lin fake timeout. I think McHale really did want a time-out, but Lin saw the opportunity for a free shot. It would've looked really bad if Brewer hadn't given Lin two free points. Not sure how McHale feels about that. He wasn't too supportive of Lin despite his fantastic game when he waved off the iso against the Spurs a few games back.

4. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

I can't say for sure, as I haven't spent any time focusing on the Rockets defensive scheme, but I think at times the Rockets do want their players to help one pass away, if that's what it takes to prevent the offense from middle penetration.
    Most teams simply want to prevent penetration towards the middle at all costs.

On that first highlighted one-pass-away-help from Parsons for example the Knicks screened the screener preventing the Rockets from hedging, which is why Parsons had to help - his help angle just wasn't great.

5. holly1985

holly1985 Member

Agreed. Harden already walked to Mchale and Parsons started to walk back to the bench. Lin just saw the opportunity to attack. Luckily Brewer grabbed the rim.

6. Roxs

Roxs Member

I knew Harden was a slight liability on defense according to the RAPM (currently -0.61 for the season) stats that I've been looking at, but I never really paid attention to him on defense.

After watching the video breakdown here, it looks like Harden is trying to do everything on defense the way he does on offense. He does have a habit of moving away from his man even if his man is the next pass away. In such cases, the help defense just needs to come from someone else.

Still I don't think he's a bad defender never to improve. I would say it's more bad habits than anything else. Defense is very much more a team process than offense in today's NBA and Harden needs to build more chemistry on the defense side.

On a brighter note, wow, what a heads up play by Lin on the fake time out! I guess that's what people talk about when they say he has a high basketball IQ. And JR Smith, that's what happens when you don't have a high basketball IQ.

7. jocar

jocar Member

Good stuff, thx

8. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

It isn't just the Rockets. It seems that all NBA teams help with the defender who's one pass away from the person being doubled. The only time I didn't see this was when the Rockets played the Heat a couple of seasons ago with Adelman coaching. They were doubling everything with different defenders, never more than one pass away. It was beautiful, and the Heat were excellent at swinging the ball. The interaction between the offense and defense in that game was spectacular, and believe we ended up losing by just a couple of points in a high scoring bout.

9. amaru

amaru Member

I agree with McHale. If your going to be bold enough to wave of a pick at a crucial time.....you better at least get a shot up. The way he got shut down on that final possession makes it look like he really needed that pick.

10. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Oh, I think most, if not all teams would prefer to never have to help one pass away, but sometimes you just have to pick your poison and I think most teams would rather help one pass away than give up middle penetration.

11. CONAN 888

CONAN 888 Rookie

Cool video. Coach Nick from b ball breakdown on youtube. If you are a basketball fan of watch a lot of NBA. You should check out all his videos, they are pretty informative and will increase you b ball IQ from a coaches perspective. The history of basketball series with all the OG coaches is pretty cool.

12. anchel

anchel Member

4th or 5th spot??

13. EarlIII

EarlIII Member

I'm all for making this guy the next Rockets head coach by next week. He understands more on how to get Lin and Harden to play together than McHale and Sampson.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

On the "fake timeout." Lin got a layup. It is a good shot, make or miss. Coaches don't get on you for getting but missing a good shot. They get on you for taking bad low% shots (like contested 20 footer with 15 sec on the shot clock).

15. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

i agree. very informative.

16. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

i hope it is the case.

17. nbafever

nbafever Member

Playoff spot in the 4th or 5th range?? Wow, pretty bold prediction

18. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

if they play how they play against the east, yes. as of right now, they gotta figure out how to play better against western teams, especially team in our division.

19. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

Didnt know he did a video for this. Fkn love him, hes amazing, does analysis of everything.

20. Supermaruchi

Supermaruchi Member

I don't think it's "far-fetched" at all. :grin: