1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets involved in illegal transaction!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hottoddie, Dec 28, 2002.

1. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Well, sort of. :D Sorry, I couldn't resist. It appears that the league forgot to check the CBA before approving the 3 team trade for Posey.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nuggets/article/0,1299,DRMN_20_1637132,00.html

NBA mistakenly OK'd 3-team trade
    By Chris Tomasson, Rocky Mountain News
    December 28, 2002

The NBA admitted Friday that it shouldn't have approved last week's three-team trade, which included the Denver Nuggets. But nobody needs to worry. It won't be rescinded.

On Dec. 18, the Nuggets dealt guard James Posey to Houston and received forwards Mark Bryant and Art Long (since waived) and a first-round draft choice from Philadelphia and a second-round pick from the Rockets. The deal was completed when forward Kenny Thomas went from Houston to the 76ers.

NBA officials say Long was ineligible to be dealt until Dec. 30. League rules stipulate that free agents signed during the off-season cannot be traded until Dec. 15 or three months after they signed. Long signed Sept. 30.

"After the trade was approved, it was discovered that under the league's trade rules, Art Long was 12 days shy of the waiting period required before he could be traded," said NBA spokesman Mark Broussard, who said the league sent all teams a letter of explanation. "After taking into account the effect rescinding the trade would have on the teams and players involved, and the fact that it would have been allowable 11 days later in any event, it was decided to let the trade stand."

NBA officials realized the error the day after the deal. Nuggets general manager Kiki Vandeweghe said he learned about it on the night of Dec. 18.

"It was a clerical error," Vandeweghe said. "We're all human. The NBA did the right thing. The trade already had been announced, and you have to take into account players' feelings."

2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

That would have driven me crazy if they didn't let the trade go through. I'm glad to see some people still break the almighty rules when it makes sense to do so. I'm gonna get mad about laws in this country now so I'll stop my post here

3. SLA

SLA Member

Yep. They apologized and now we have Posey a little earlier. Hopefully this will give him more time to get used to our team.

4. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

You see, when the trade first happened, I posted this in that "Kenny Thomas: Being Traded?" thread. How is it that some regular guy screwing around on RealGM can find that out but the NBA (including the team that signed him to a stipulated contract) doesn't notice it?

Somebody give me a damn job in the NBA, I won't let this kinda stuff happen.:D

5. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

Here's that post (link in case you didn't believe me:))