1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets interested in Jordan Hill

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 30, 2014.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

God Jordan Hill is a terrible basketball player. He grabs a few boards and people suddenly think he's good... he isn't.

He still gets lost on both ends of the floor all the time.

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Hill ranks top 10 in both scoring(8th) and rebounding(7th) per 48 minutes among centers.

Howard RP48 17.3 - Hill RP48 17.1

Hill is a very efficient rebounder and scorer off the bench. Yes some of there is inflation due to him playing with the Lakers, but still his efficiency is there.

9.7 PPG, 7.4 RBG, .9 BPG, 1.0 TO, 55% FG, 69% FT all in 20.8 MPG.

He would be a nice backup C if we can get him at a decent price.

3. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

He has become a much better player when he left the Rockets. It'll be cool to resign him as back up.

4. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I like Jordan Hill and I think he would be a damn good backup to Dwight

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

His XRapm was -2.94 last season

13-14 -2.9
    12-13 -0.9
    11-12 -1.8

He sucks, he really, really sucks. People need to realize point and rebounds aren't all that measure how effective a player is. He doesn't box out, doesn't rotate, doesn't know where to be on offense.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I would agree that Jordan Hill seems to be overrated by some here, if you put him on the roster right now, I wouldn't have him penciled in as backup PF or C.

7. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Hill has improved.. a lot since he played here but he still needs to gain a lot of basketball X's and O's oriented knowledge.

8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I wouldn't, he's not an NBA rotation player.

D-Mo is a better player right now.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well I'd warn against using one stat to say too much, but the XRAPM stat you used earlier had DMo as the 6th best player on the Rockets at 1.12 compared to Hill's -2.94 so that stat certainly agrees with you.

10. jets fool

jets fool Member

Lol remember when klow tweeted he saw j hill hit 6 3's in a row

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

You need a large sample size to trust XRapm, so I pretty much ignore D-Mo's number. This more about how god awful Hill is, you can't fix stupid, and he is a stupid player.

D-Mo a simply by playing hard and being in the right place is a much better defensive player. I've seen more than enough of Hill to make a judgement on him.

We do need a backup center, but Hill should not be an option IMO.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well 700+ minutes isn't nothing, but I think the most glaring thing you can take from looking at the Rockets' XRAPM stats is that Terrence Jones is REALLY overrated by a lot of people around here.

13. bmd

bmd Member

Jordan Hill is a very respectable backup C. I don't get the hate.

14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Yes... I know :mad:

He's very Jordan Hill like in the fact that he is always in the wrong place. Screens, boxing out, and rotating don't show up on the stat sheet, but they are extremely important.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think some people just value athleticism over everything else which would make sense that the Jones people would also be Hill people. A flashy dunk or two gets you pretty far with some.

16. Asian Sensation

Low basketball IQ and lacks the refined skills. I like his hustle but as others have mentioned he's in the wrong places, gets lost on rotations and simply lacks the "know how". He often looks like a chicken with its head cut off.

His decision making/natural instincts are lacking. Basically he's the type of guy that would be in the dog house often if he were on Pops' team but when he played a run & gun/ glorified pickup game under D'Antonio's system .. he looked semi decent.

We need guys that know how to play.

17. Asian Sensation

I don't think either have great athletcism but I'm a Pro-Jones guy... not so much Hill.

Jones is light years ahead of Hill in terms of natural instincts, ability and skill-set. I know a lot of people are down on Jones because he got taken to the back of the woodshed against LMA but I was expecting that along with a lot of this board prior to entering the playoffs. For Jones it was probably the best thing that could've happened to him "baptism under fire" for a lack of better words.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not exactly down on Jones, but he's very much overrated among Rockets fans IMO. He's a tweener SF-PF who can't hope to ever defend legit sized PF's, he never boxes out, and he gambles on blocks any time someone throws a pump fake at him, and overall his BBIQ isn't all that great....sometimes he makes things positive happen but every time he dribbles the ball I feel like something disastrous is about to happen.

He's young so he has plenty of time to develop a shot and work on his deficiencies but some people tout him as a future all star caliber player and that's just laughable IMO.

19. Caesar

Caesar Member

Part of me remembers how terrible he was on the Rockets, but then again, we don't have many great options at backup Center. It is crucial we find one though.

20. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Just because cfans disrespects Jordan Hill doesn't mean that the rest of the NBA does. Dude will command much more than the vet min, we'd be fortunate to have him