1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets interested in Corey Brewer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Nov 16, 2014.

1. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

Corey Brewer could be traded to the Rockets before the weekend.

He would go from a guy seeing around 30 minutes to being a backup to two high-minute guys in Trevor Ariza and James Harden. Brewer would be a great fit, but the vast majority of his offense would have to come in transition. If he's on your team and Marcus Smart is out there, it makes sense to switch them and think ahead. Shabazz Muhammad is also an option, but it better suited for points leagues. Ariza would not be affected much. Harden wouldn't either, but you knew that. Dec 18 - 8:05 PM

Source: Jon Krawczynski on Twitter

2. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Wow, didn't know Jim was also a fantasy sports guru.:eek:

3. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

For all the praise Maury gets here on ClutchFans, this is quite remarkable and even unbelievable that Dallas leapfrogged the Rockets so quickly. Maury has been GM for about 7 yrs and has only won a single playoff series during his tenure. During roughly the past 8 yrs, the Mavs made the Finals in 2006, rebuilt their roster and won a championship in 2011, and have done it again in 2014.

If anybody is doubting the Mavs as serious title contenders, take off the homer glasses for one second and take a look at how the Mavs odds of winning the championship have been cut in half from 16-1 to 8-1 while the Rockets are around 18-1.

Now that I think about it, remarkable and unbelievable are probably a poor choice of words. It's quite sad is more like it...a tragic comedy if you will. Maybe "flexibilty" and Corey Brewer will put the team over the top. In Maury We Trust?

4. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Talks ongoing. Nothing done yet. Rockets want him. On <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Twolves?src=hash">#Twolves</a> to say yes. RT <a href="https://twitter.com/AQS18">@AQS18</a>: <a href="https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson">@DarrenWolfson</a> what's up with Corey Brewer?</p>&mdash; Darren Wolfson (@DarrenWolfson) <a href="https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson/status/545966168872599552">December 19, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Overreact much?

If Bosh had signed here, you'd be singing Morey's praises.

Let's see how everything shakes out by the trade deadline. If we don't have Dragic or whomever, then post these doomsday messages. Or just go be a Mavs fan. (But you'll be back.)

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Kwame is frustrated, but he is not a Mavs fan.

7. Kwame

Not an overreaction at all. Bosh didn't sign here so your hypothetical scenario is just that. I compared Maury's time here as GM to what the Mavs have done in roughly the same number of years. No need to be sensitive and engage in name-calling when somebody provides objective analysis. I know there isn't much of that on ClutchFans anymore, which is unfortunate. Acquiring Dragic would be a strong step in the right direction, but the skepticism is warranted.

8. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

You post as well as your username use to play.

9. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

2 different scenarios, Dallas has had a centerpiece to build around for the past 15 years. Morey has had to shuffle the cards until he got his own, now he's trying to build around him/them. Also, I don't see what's so impressive about Dallas' roster as constructed. They have an old/injury prone starting line-up and their bench is probably the worst in the league.

10. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Dallas has also been blessed with a healthy superstar.

11. finsraider

finsraider Member

I imagine we have a pretty firm deadline of today. I like Brewer, but if he can't be flipped at the deadline I'd rather go get Wright.

12. Nook

Nook Member

How is Rudy Gay?

13. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The big thing is that Cuban/Mavs started with Dirk and had him to build around. Morey had an injured Yao/McGrady combo that ate up his cap and limited his ability to make moves. He's had to build teams differently than the Mavs. His moves led to Harden and Howard, now he's got to finish the job in terms of completing the assembling of a contender. Apples and Oranges, IMO. He was one step away (Bosh) from pulling off a coup de grace!

14. Nero

Nero Member

Tell you what.

Why don't you give Dirk to the Rockets instead of the Mavs and see how these scenarios would play out differently.

Plus, then have Dirk decide to play for peanuts when every other 'superstar' would be breaking his team's back with a high salary.

That sort of thing just doesn't happen regularly, and it's certainly not Cuban who did that, that was Dirk. And don't be surprised if Dirk didn't accept some sort of behind-the-scenes, after-he-retires commitment from Cuban to help make up the difference.

Try to have a little perspective.

15. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I supposed the fact that Cuban inherited a team with a healthy future HoF in Dirk to lure other stars in from the get go meant nothing to you? You are frustrated, I get that. How about trying to trying to use some intelligence when viewing what Rockets had to go through to finally get one star and then 2 before knee jerking? Also, you are using Vegas odds to make your case? Serious? NO ONE KNOWS HOW RONDO WILL FIT IN WITH THE MAVS AND HOW THE LOSS OF DEPTH WILL AFFECT THEM!

And yes, I believe Brewer will greatly help. Not only can he shoot the corner, can defend, can run in transition, and most importantly spell Ariza some precious minutes of rest. Also, damn right we trust in Morey. He is a great GM with a great track record, much more than any wannabe armchair GM knee jerking over an injury prone, head case PG who can't hit the broadside of the barn who by the way does not fit our team at all.

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The difference between the Mavericks and the Rockets comes down to Dirk being a rock while our stars were peanut brittle. Morey never got a chance to build around a healthy Yao and Tracy. Once they went down he had to spend time rebuilding the team without a star, something Cuban has never had to do, and once he got his star he had to start building around that star.

Cuban has had a healthy Hall of Famer playing at a super elite level without injury for over a decade now. He has done a good job running that organization, so no knock on him. I won't say Morey has done better or worse than Cuban has, they've been doing two different jobs.

Morey has his stars now. If he has a 10 year run with Harden playing at an elite level and doesn't win a title, he was worse than Cuban.

17. Kwame

The Rockets have two stars now, but are still rated, in terms of futures odds to win the title, as the 6th best team in the NBA. Obviously most would agree that SA, OKC, and LAC are better than Houston, but they've been leapfrogged by teams like GSW and Memphis. To some, like myself, that's inexcusable. But I'm sure there are a whole host of excuses apologists will trot out to justify that as well.

Those are some of the most objective sources out there. Also, none of this by me is a knee-jerk reaction. I'm pretty consistent with the positions I take.

Why has such a great GM allowed teams like GSW and Memphis who were in similar and arguably worse situations than the Rockets to leapfrog Houston? I'm sure you have a whole host of excuses for that too.

#517 Kwame, Dec 19, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  18. onreego

onreego Member

I understand the frustration with Dallas acquiring a questionable Rondo. We're not sure what to expect from him. Dirk is an aging star who is on the tail end of his career. And I understand that we're all about contending right now. The fact is we're still a contending team, I believe, and honestly still better than Dallas—for now.

We'll have to see what other moves will be made between here and February.

Based on Morey's track record, how would you compare the future of Dallas to Houston's? Basically, once Dirk is retired will Dallas become relevant as quickly as Houston was able to?

19. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Probably should wait on the actual results and not get upset about ratings and projections.

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Nothing is more annoying than people using gambling odds to try to win an argument.

I don't understand why people can't figure out that gambling odds have nothing to do with who the oddsmakers think will actually win. Odds are about controlling the money.

None of that is to say the Rockets have some amazing run of brilliant success because obviously they don't.