1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets interested in Andrew Bogut

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cod, Mar 10, 2012.

1. I'm Tom Brady

I'm Tom Brady Member

bogut is awesome. acquiring him would be an 'alright' move to 'huge' depending on his health. but whatever the case, only 5 more days of this nonsense...

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Guys keep in mind that the Bucks will certainly make it a point to attach Stephen Jackson with Bogut on any deal involving Bogut. This is the main reason why the Rockets did not extend the contracts of Thabeet, Flynn, Hill, Williams for this very reason. They are not necessarily opening up cap space for a big name free agent, as much as they are to take on a big salary to aquire a franchise piece like Bogut. So keep this in mind.

My opinion is this is a good move to make. Taking on Stephen Jackson for 20 games this year shouldn't be much of an issue IMO. Next year Captain Jack will be in the last year of his deal and will be motivated to score another contract after that. I think every great team needs one crazy guy in the last year of his deal. That type of personality can bring an edge to a team that needs an alpha dog personality. It also comes with a high level of risk.

Back to Bogut. All of his injuries have been random injuries and not chronic. He has bad luck yes, but this is the type of big man the organization has been craving since Yao started to fall fast. He wont be in the teams plans until next season of course, but could make it back in the rotation as early as April if the Rockets are still in the playoff run.

This seems like a year though that Morey would sacrifice a playoff run if he can make this move and possibly another one to bring in another player like Gasol or Granger to build around Bogut. Having a lineup that contains Bogut/Lowry/ & another piece like Gasol/Granger is a damn good way to get back in the top portion of the West.

So the Bogut deal would look something like this -

Martin/Dalembert/(Budinger?) for Bogut/Jackson

2012 lineup-
    Lowry, Flynn(resigned for min.)
    Lee, Jackson
    Parsons, Morris
    Scola, Patterson, Montiejunas
    Bogut, Smith

+2 draft picks (Knicks pick + Minn. 2nd round pick)

Thats roughly 48MM in guaranteed salary(assuming Lee gets offered lower mid level salary) + roughly 2MM in draft pick salary = 50MM guaranteed roughly.

The Rockets could also offer a decent sized contract to a free agent center like Kaman or Robin Lopez in the summer for depth at the center position.

What I like about this roster here is there is alot of opportunity for High Level talent like Montiejunas/Morris to step in and really take their game to new level. I love the combo of Lowry/Bogut as building blocks for this team going into the future with any additional moves. The Rockets have nothing to loose and everything to gain.

1 person likes this.
  3. Garner

Garner Member

4. Asian Sensation

The Bucks are not going to move Brandon Jennings for Kyle Lowry. Jennings is the future of that team and they're going to build around him.

As for Bogut I'd trade anybody on the roster for him. The 3 players I mentioned wanting before from the Bucks with the most realistic possibility is Bogut, Ilyasova and Captain Jack. A deal involving Martin and Scola for sure along with some other pieces such as Bud, Hill and Patterson etc. should be able to get a deal done.

5. Asian Sensation

I've mentioned this another thread before too. Some people may view acquiring Jackson as a bad thing but I think it would be great. He's a bit older but he still knows how to play the game and he never really relied on superior athleticism. The dude's a gamer flat out. He brings fire, grit and playoff experience. He's clearly a misfit in Milwaukee and I think he can play another couple years at a very high level.

I'd gladly take Jackson as part of a Bogut deal. Win-Win situation to me.

6. dobro1229

Also realize that a major reason why they are looking to move Bogut is to clear up cap space to re-sign Jennings in 2013. Jennings has already expressed his desire to possibly go elsewhere and the Bucks are not going to mess around with that.

The way the new CBA is shaping out he will be able to be locked up by the Bucks if they truely want to shell out the max for him. Obviously the Bucks are realizing they are going to also need to bring in another big name to keep Jennings there as well.

I wouldnt be surprised if moving Bogut also has alternative motives in mind like aquiring a big name wing player to match up with Jennings and keep him happy. Its unlikely the Bucks ever attract a big name free agent, but much like the Rockets, they will have the cap space to trade for another player like Joe Johnson, Paul Pierce, or another secondary star like that.

1 person likes this.
  7. Asian Sensation

Agreed on all accounts. Good stuff man.

8. dobro1229

I think from a production value, he is interchangeable with what Martin gives you and is a much better fit in McHales new system. I think Lee would be the starter going forward for many good reasons, but Jackson gives you someone who can fill it up off the bench for the rest of this season, and next year. However, McHale will have a big say in this because he will be the one dealing with the bad side of Jackson which can be a huge challenge for even the best coaches in the league.

9. Asian Sensation

I was thinking shipping Martin out would finally get Lee the starting role at SG which he so deserves and then Captain Jack starts at the 3 spot. A Lee/Jackson combo would be very balanced and deadly since these guys can cover each others weaknesses (consistent scoring from Lee and help defense from Jackson) and combine what they're good at (making plays).

I could see Lowry, Lee and Jackson all meshing well together too.

10. dobro1229

I think the starting unit of Lowry/Lee/Parsons/Scola/Bogut would have trouble scoring alot but would be a much better defensive unit. With McHale as the coach though I like Jackson coming off the bench. The bench offensive production has been very poor this year, and having that balance would be very nice.

I also would like to see Parsons play more like he did at Florida as an offensive facilitator. Most Rockets fans never watched him play at Florida so they dont know what this can do.

I dunno, but I have a feeling another deal must be made if they do make this deal to bring in someone else. I would be shocked if there wasnt another deal made with another "scorer" coming in.

11. Mac#5

Mac#5 Member

Do we really want to go down this road again? Another injury prone center?

12. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

It's a gamble b/c his value is lower. This is when you have to strike.

13. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

If that's the case, I hope we make a big push for Greg Oden!

14. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

15. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

lol...I'm sure you're being sarcastic. He hasn't played a real season since he entered the NBA.

I'm really hoping the Rockets go the Bogut route if D12 is out of reach. I would much rather have Bogut at 12M who is younger and a better player than Gasol for over 18M.

16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Went to a bucks forum and they seem to be very low on him. They said a package of martin, thabeet and flynn for bogut and jackson would be fine.

17. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Jackson has been cancerous for them, really just want Ilysylvia.

18. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

IDK if Oden and Bogut are in the same class, Bogut has proven he's a top notch defensive C with a growing (not great) offensive game. Boguts injuries have been of the freak variety (not linking that nasty fall, seriously, gross.) He played in 153 consecutive games at one point. And he doesn't have any structural issues with his legs or feet. I'd do a Martin/fillers for Bogut/S Jax anytime.

19. dobro1229

Im under the educated guess that MIL is focused on shedding salary to prepare for 2013 where they can extend Jennings and bring in another star "type" of player to play alongside Jennings. Doing a trade like this, especially with Scola involved, hampers their longterm plans. Im not saying I dont like players like Ilyasova coming back, but just saying its not likely. Getting cap flexibility in the future will be key for the Bucks. I think the deal will just be Bogut/Jackson for Martin/Dalembert and fillers.

20. amaru

amaru Member

I'd trade Martin and fillers for a shot at Bogut. Martin is a great scorer.....but hes not the type of player this teams needs.