1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets interested in Andrew Bogut

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cod, Mar 10, 2012.

1. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

That is how I feel about this too. I am hoping it is a better deal. Perhaps trading Martin and Lowry for Dwill and then getting Kaman or possibly going after Howard by the deadline. Gosh this is soo distracting! I won't be able to work until Friday lol!

2. inowsingle

inowsingle Member

give me brooks , this boy hv unbelievable potential , fxxx morey to pick up MM but miss brooks and Faried, now think nets even won't agree "MM+ ny 1st pick for brooks"

3. zigzag

zigzag Member

Umh..pretty much.But the difference is that Brooks has got much time to play but MM hasn't.Brooks' fadeway is sick.That's a talent,no doubt.

4. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

I always thought he was third best. Don't tell me that bogut is injury prone because so is bynum. Just because he isn't this year doesn't mean he isn't injury prone. Id take bogut over bynum. Just my opinion though

1 person likes this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Imma let you finish but Dwight is the best Center in this league. Upon that we shall agree. ;)

6. RedNation

Nope. The best center is chuck hayes :grin:.

Yes we agree on that (although I do think he is over rated)

7. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Honestly, its all speculation.

For all we know they wanted multiple picks.

8. RedNation

Even if they asked for picks, all morey really needs is some second rounders, which he could get with cash. Brooks, landry, bud, PARSONS.

9. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Brooks wasn't 2nd round.

10. RedNation

Eh. Close enough

11. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Actually, if you're talking about high-ish second rounders (Landry was taken #31, Parsons at #38 and Bud--amazingly--at #44, all in the top half of the second round), I'm not so sure that the Rockets could buy more than one in any given year.

The new CBA limits teams to throwing in $3M cash TOTAL in all trades during a given year, as opposed to the old CBA, which allowed up to $3M cash in EACH trade. For instance, the New York Knicks are PROHIBITED from using cash in any trades (including ones to buy picks), since they used their entire $3M allotment in the Tyson Chandler trade.

Look at the cost for the guys you mentioned above:

--Brooks: Wasn't a second rounder and would have been taken in the late first round had the Rockets not taken him at #26.

--Landry: The Rockets traded $1M cash AND a future second round pick to get the #31 pick used to draft him.

--Parsons: The Rockets originally traded #38 to Minnesota in the Motiejunas trade and then BOUGHT BACK this pick in a separate draft night deal (amount undisclosed but was probably not cheap). Only after it was discovered that the T-Wolves had not been fully forthright about Jonny Flynn's hip injury did the original trades get amended so that the Rockets got to keep their cash and the #38 pick (and also got Minnesota's 2012 second rounder).

--Budinger: The Rockets traded $1.75M cash AND a future second round pick (likely this year's) to get the #44 pick to draft him.

Also, not mentioned:

--Jermaine Taylor: The Rockets apparently bought the #32 pick for about $2.5M to draft him!

--Sergio Llull: The Rockets bought the #34 for about $2.25M to draft him.

As you can see, the cash value of top-half second round picks is too high for the Rockets to buy multiple picks unless they also throw in their OWN future second rounders, which kind of defeats the purpose (unless there is a high-value, must-have player who falls in the draft). But the Rockets have already traded their own 2012 and 2013 second rounders (with some limited protections) in prior deals (Budinger, Andersen).

Bottom line: You're right that the Rockets may continue to implement a strategy of buying second round picks to take players they have graded as first round talents. But just to clarify, it would probably be only one player per draft unless a future Rockets pick (or another pick acquired in a separate trade) is also packaged with a smaller amount of cash.

12. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Bima, would you take on salary from NJ to get our pick obligation back from them like they are offering?

13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Where was that reported? Haven't seen it yet? Curious what Bima thinks as well. I think he knows what I think! :)

14. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

15. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Replace Lee and the NY pick with Martin. If they don't go for that, then just remove the pick.

By helping the Bucks get better short term, that should increase the value of the pick as the Bucks might have a chance to actually keep NY in the lotto.

By the same token, if we give away our C and with Lowry out, we might actually keep our pick. Even if they are 2 low lotto picks (10-14) and we don't trade up, you are essentually doubling your chance of getting a keeper.

Personally I'd be jettisoning Scola, Martin, Dalembert, 09ers, Goran for most best offers. These are players that we should not be building around and moving them now puts us in full tank mode which is where we should be IMO. And helping an eastern team on the bubble helps us IF we keep the NY pick.

16. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

My guess is DM offered KMart/Sam... but with Bucks over cap and with Ilyasova and Delphino's contracts ending this year, theyre looking for the cap space to resign at least one and get under the cap....Resigning CLee is cheaper than SJAX or Kmart... Whereas Bogut to sam saves around 6M next year...

17. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=6693202&postcount=1283

18. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I'd let them have Lee (not my 1st choice) but there is no way I'd eat the Bucks salary mistake and give them a possible lotto pick to do so.

19. cod

cod Member

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/k...cob-nixes-monta-deal-new-dwight-list-revealed

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Berger: [rquoter]The Rockets have been informing teams that they're backing away from a potential deal for Bogut to pursue other avenues. It's a tactic they've used before, such as prior to the 2010 deal that sent Tracy McGrady to New York. But one person familiar with Houston's strategy said the Rockets don't want to jeopardize other deals while they wait for a decision from the Bucks. A trade for Bogut would be complicated because the Bucks would have to find a landing spot for Stephen Jackson and the $10 million he is owed next season.[/rquoter]