1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets interest in Marcus Banks??????

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yaowaming, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Yaowaming

Yaowaming Contributing Member

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/0718suns0718.html

Suns' free-agent focus shifts to guard Banks

Paul Coro
    The Arizona Republic
    Jul. 18, 2006 12:00 AM

One way or another, the Suns are determined to emerge from a quiet summer with someone to relieve Steve Nash more frequently.

By the end of the week, that man could be Marcus Banks.

Phoenix is getting serious about signing Banks, an unrestricted free agent who finished last season as Minnesota's starting point guard after being traded from Boston.

Banks is allowed to sign a deal for up to six years but might agree to less considering his age, 24, and Nash's three remaining guaranteed contract years. It would take a large chunk of Phoenix's $5.2 million midlevel exception to close the deal but probably would not be far removed from the $3.7 million salary that John Salmons turned down Thursday.

Banks, a Las Vegas native, attracted initial interest from the Los Angeles Lakers until they signed Vladimir Radmanovic, Minnesota until it signed Mike James and Atlanta until it signed Speedy Claxton. Cleveland's interest also has cooled, leaving the Suns to duel with Houston and Miami. The Rockets also have all of their midlevel exception remaining.

Banks, the No. 13 overall selection in the 2003 draft, was used sparingly in 2 1/2 seasons with Boston, which declined his option year before trading him to Minnesota. He started 28 of 40 games with the Timberwolves, averaging 12.0 points, 4.7 assists and 1.2 steals in 30.7 minutes per game.

Phoenix wants to improve its backcourt size, but Banks, even at 6 feet 2, is a noted defender who could help the Suns reach their goal of cutting about five minutes off Nash's career-high 35.4-minute average last season.

2. Shooter1583

Shooter1583 Member

Yeah, it's been well-documented that we're interested in Banks.

But, please, CD--not for the full MLE. I beg you. Get a backup 4 and another swingman who can defend and shoot before getting a player who's not significantly better than John Lucas III.

3. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Just say NO to Banks.

Lucas will do nicely.

4. chris_Rocket

chris_Rocket Member

Agreed 100%!

5. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

While I truly hope we acquire JL3, signing Marcus Banks would be akin to signing Mike James. Although I would have preferred James, Banks is the same type of player -- more of a SG in a PG's body but who can give you strong defense. JL3 is the better pure point.

The big question is whether Sura is done. If not, we can get along without Banks. If so, JL3 and Banks together bring more to the table because they have different strengths.

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

IF JLIII & VSpan are destined to be Rox darlins' imminently, then the pursuit of Banks only makes sense IF Rafer is to be morphed into a trade chip.

7. ktvoss

ktvoss Contributing Member

what would we give him if vspan accepts our offer? we have nothing.

8. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

If we sign V-Span, we can't sign Banks -- and vice versa. And we still need an inexpensive but effective PF. Building depth is tricky, is it not?

9. Proz4k

Proz4k Member

I want Alston, Banks and Lucas at the PG position, i don't want V-Span in that situation...

10. rserina

rserina Member

Why are Banks and Spanoulis mutually exclusive? If Spanoulis gets a $2/year deal and Banks gets $3/year, then we are fine. I personally do not want to go into the season with Lucas and Spanoulis backing up Alston unless either A) Sura is healthy enough at least to serve as a reserve one or B) Van Gundy is comfortable enough with Head running some point.

I would actually prefer Banks over Spanoulis because of his experience, athleticism, and defensive skills. Spanoulis, at least in my opinion, is a luxury whom you can bring over and develop without needing much from him in the short term.

11. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

Lucas had a great summer league and he might be a good back up one day (or defy the impossible and become a starter) but it would be suicidal to bring him in as a second string point guard at this point. He's played in the NBA for 20 days and killed in the summer league (which isn't real pro ball), he's not a first option off the bench yet. We need Banks or Spanoulis (or both) and then we can talk about JL3. The guy is awesome and hopefully if someone gets injured this season he proves me wrong and steps up beautifully, but CD isn't doing his job if our only back up has twenty days of NBA experience.

12. johnkamla

johnkamla Contributing Member

If Phx is now interested in Banks, it must mean they'll probably lose out on JL3. Which means we've got him (JL3 that is). Sweet. Banks is better for D but JL3 probably has a little better O.

13. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

good guess. you're probably right.

my problem is that our backup PF will have to play about 18 mpg. lucas probably isn't ready for that. he would be good on the suns of the nets. teams that need a backup for about 8 mpg. for the rockets he would be the best 3rd string pg in the league or one of the worst second stringers.

we need banks. he is the most proven of the bunch. if not banks then vspan.

14. New Jack

New Jack Member

I would much rather lose Lucas to the Suns than Banks. Banks would flourish in Phoenix. If the competition has really dwindled down to Phoenix and Houston, the Rockets should be pushing Lucas to go ahead and sign with the Suns.

15. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Says who? We still have a big trade exception (bigger than anything the Suns have to offer Banks right now). We're not all out of options just yet.

16. WallofYao

WallofYao Member

I think we should sign JL3 for sure, but we should either get banks or Vspan, as long as one of em are cheap, it's all good. I think we should try to get Banks more beacuse he's already somewhat nba proven, but I wouldnt mind bringing Vspan over, probably which ever one is cheaper, so we can use to rest of the MLE to get a 4.

17. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

How good is Lucas's defense. I know he lit up a bunch of summer leaguers with alot of playing time, but this teams biggest weakness on defense is giving up dribble penetration and Banks could really help in that area.

18. Toast

Toast Member

Isn't Lucas < 6 feet?

I know undersized guards aren't necessarily a bad thing, but a couple of inches can go a long way when you play a team-oriented defense that does lots of switching ...

19. Tha TC

Tha TC Member

Yeah lucas is closer to 5'9-5'10 range... but so is allen iverson (not saying they're the same type of player).

20. richter911

richter911 Member

http://www.nba.com/transactions/movement2006_southwest.html

Rafer Alston, Ryan Bowen, Chuck Hayes, Luther Head, Juwan Howard, Maciej Lampe, Tracy McGrady, Dikembe Mutombo, Bob Sura, Yao Ming,Shane Battier, Kirk Snyder

There are 12 players under contract on our roster.And I think will sign Novak,so that makes it 13.

If we sign JL3 and V-span,I don't think there is room for Banks or another PF/C,
    unless we do 2 for 1 trade or start waive people like Lampe.