1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets intend to sign Zhou Qi

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jun 30, 2017.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]
    And Zhou is taller and longer, and way more apt to defend the rim as a C. Most importantly, he is WAY slower.

Not a knock on Zhou, but I think you are setting him up for failure as a forward. He has a much better chance of using his length down low and building some strength than he does of defending in open space and gaining quickness.

Mathloom likes this.
  2. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

Of course it's matchup dependent but if Ryan Anderson is our 4. it should not be a stretch for Zhou to have some run at the 4 spot with perhaps Nene or Capela at 5. This is of course dependent on if Zhou has a perimeter game or not. His impact would be limited if he can only play the 5 where he's really not physical enough for most matchups yet. Actually if he couldn't shoot, then he probably wouldn't even get drafted.

Also Randolph's issue was never about physical talent, it was always about basketball IQ IMO.

3. Mr. Motiejunas

I am lost.

4. topfive

topfive CF OG

[​IMG]

5. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Zhou is not remotely close to being the shooter from distance that Ryan Anderson is, nor Kyle Wiltjer, and he probably never will be.

He was drafted because of his 7-8 wingspan and ability to protect the rim. You don't put that skill out defending the three point line where he is just DREADFUL. In our system, I can't envision a world where D'Antoni isn't using him exclusively at C.

6. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

We'll see in a week (ie summer league) =) Which is the awesome part. All the CBA league stuff is crap and hard to judge. He was AWFUL in the Olympics but as others mentioned had some potential.

Zhou at the 4 and Capela at the 5 would be our Twin Towers.

RudyTBag likes this.
  7. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

;)

8. Caesar

Caesar Member

How do you pronounce his name again? Is it like "show" or like yao but with "sh" instead of the y like shaolin?

9. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Joe Chee

Caesar likes this.
  10. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Who knows. He might contribute earlier than most suspected like Capela.

Most Recent Vid I can find:

RudyTBag likes this.
  11. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

LOL it took 2 minutes to finally see him dunk

12. pass_to_Hakeem

They will and he's got a nice jumper so I'm truly excited to see how he devolps

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

He's certainly nowhere near those guys, but I am optimistic about his future as a shooter. I actually think he will become an incredible shooter. Huge gap in his training, already average, his shooting motion is not slow as Wiltjer/Anderson, good mechanics. You know MDA will drool at the prospect of a 7'1 shooting C who can drive if guarded too closely.

RudyTBag likes this.
  14. ballgame

ballgame Member

You're looking at where he's playing on the court, not how fluid he is. He's just as fluid as KD in his movement. KD has better handles and a better jumper, which is what makes him a better peremiter offensive player. Things Zhou needs to work on.

When KD was drafted, he was a 6'10" offensive force but as a continued to grow, his handles and shot kept him on the wing. But as you are noticing, GS is starting to play him at the 4, so he can protect the rim more.

I'm curios to see how MDA use Zhou, if at all.....we saw in the SA series how he likes to use and develop his bench players

15. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

I'm looking at his Kyle Wiltjer esque explosiveness. Fluidity is something Dan Langhi possessed too.

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

This is Randolph at Joe's age for a fair comparison:

[​IMG]

Agreed that Joe is slower and less capable of defending perimeter guys than Randolph. And if it sounds like I'm setting him up to fail, it's because I think he will fail.

I'm no Joe Chee expert but watching him play for China he doesn't even attempt to play like a guy his height - and that's against weaker (in every way) competition.

So if he's too slight to even attempt going against big men in China, why would he be able to do that against big men in the NBA?

I think his biggest asset is his length moreso than his height. I think he's best used on defense as a weak side helper and a guy who disrupts perimeter shooters with his length. I think he's best used on offense as a spot up shooter who can eventually learn to put the ball on the floor and playmake in that way.

Overall, I don't think much of him. I wasn't mad with his drafting cuz might as well get someone with crazy length and a 3 point shot. Why not. But I don't believe he'll ever be a difference maker.

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Looks like a pretty good FT shooter. No hack-a-Zhou.

18. KiwiRoxFan

KiwiRoxFan Member

Rockets should stop fussing over the Chinese market and instead expand into the New Zealand market

Rashmon likes this.
  19. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

He's got a shot and he's got length. If he can develop just one more key attribute then he can be a role player. If he develops multiple facets of his game he can be a starting caliber player.

You can add athleticism , you can add handling ability, you can add strength, you can add to your knowledge of the game (BBIQ) and passing.

Whether or not he does is totally up to his work ethic and chance. He may have the ethic but his body may not be able to support more weight and retain fluidity. His coordination may not be high enough to ever handle the ball safely at the NBA level. Only time will tell.

That being said; he's long and he's got a jumper . He may be a ways away, or if he manages to get playing time he may be able to find a niche. It's like this with all young players who are not blue-chip prospects .

I trust our developmental staff enough to feel that he won't bust out , but it's up to the coaching staff and the rest of the roster to determine if he is put in a position to succeed ( once again , it may not be this year)

We will learn a lot about him during summer league ( I hope) and with that information , my analysis may change drastically ... It may not.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  20. ickaruto

ickaruto Member

Two points:

1) this is a financially and not a basketball-motivated move. Les is gonna pay some luxury tax? Well, one of those roster spots better go to the only current chine$e player in the NBA.

2) Aren't we all wondering how much this guy weighs now?