1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets in top 10 OFF & DEF!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OTMax, Nov 13, 2017.

1. OTMax

OTMax Member

2nd still in offensive efficiency, 8th in defensive efficiency overall on both BBall Reference and NBA.com
    In November alone we are #1 on offense and #5 on defense with games against the Jazz, Cavs & Grizzlies. Not too shabby :cool:

D-rock, Deuce, mathor and 18 others like this.
  2. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

I wouldn’t say the Cavs jazz and grizz are tier A offensive beasts, but clearly we have good defenders on this team.

I wouldn’t put so much stock into defensive numbers though. We play at a breakneck pace which leads to more opposing possessions, and take long jump shots, which lead to long rebounds, which lead to fast break points.

If we are average defensively, then we are a good defensive team, if we are above average, we borderline great.

Wapzoe likes this.
  3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Looking at this team's personnel, there's no reason we shouldn't be plus defensively. When Chris Paul comes back we will have a 9 man rotation, and 7 of those guys are above average to great defensively. Harden's D comes and goes, but we know he can be great at times. Anderson is certainly bad, but he isn't so terrible that he can torpedo the entire team.

The addition of Tucker and Luc has made us crazy flexible. Luc in particular looks like an all around defensive powerhouse. Those 2 are clear upgrades over the guys we moved out. CP3 certainly isn't gonna hurt us when he rounds into form. Hopefully him taking some of the workload allows Harden to remove his head from his ass on the defensive end.

If Harden starts playing up to his true defensive potential, there's no reason we can't be elite on both sides of the ball.

D-rock, mathor, Jayzers_100 and 4 others like this.
  4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

[​IMG]

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Yes it is, he is a bad defensive player. Not the terrible, awful disaster some think, but certainly a net negative. He's solid down low, and smart, but his poor agility really hurts in the oh so important world of switching onto more athletic players and guarding the PnR.

The good thing is that next to Harden, his floor stretching creates much greater offensive impact than his defense does negative impact.

6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

is steph curry also a bad defensive player?

7. Reeko

Reeko Member

we’re actually only 15th in pace right now

our halfcourt defense is very good, but our transition defense needs some work

D-rock and BigMaloe like this.
  8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I'm not sure how that is relevant to Ryan Anderson or the Rockets team defense?

9. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Ryan has been pretty good defensively so far they talk about it almost every game

He is by far the one other teams ISO against and he is holding opponents to 20-30% shooting in those situations

Don't remember the exact numbers but I've heard the announcers mention it several times

10. megastahr

Found it:

Hardwood Paroxysm
    @HPbasketball

Ryan Anderson has been targeted in ISO more than any other player this season, by Synergy Sports logging. Opponents are shooting 23.5%

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

https://www.thedreamshake.com/2017/...nlock-the-houston-rockets-defensive-potential

Probably a better link.

If he has lost weight and gotten better then great. I've been in an Astros sports isolation hangover so yesterday was only my 3rd game, the Cleveland game being my first. His defensive box score plus minus is still a negative, which is bad for a front court player, so those stats stills lead me into a less bad, not good conclusion.

Less bad could certainly be a huge help, but I'm still not ready to call him even average, much less good.

12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

so . . . you're saying you aren't watching the games :rolleyes::p

13. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

60 Wins, incoming

Williamson likes this.
  14. 1Deep

1Deep Member

I'm ready. Ryno has been good on D this season. It may or may not last, but It sounds foolish to fail to acknowledge the fact that he has improved as a defensive player.

BigMaloe and dawesome like this.
  15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

it would help me better understand what you mean when you say that someone is a bad defender

16. hakeemthagreat

I agree. If you watch the games closely, you'll see his improvement drastically. He's never going to be a PJ Tucker. But Ryan Anderson's defense has been decent this season. Ppl are judging him off what he was last year

17. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Take these stats very lightly. But that's fine if it's a benchmark versus ourselves from last year.

SIL

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Capella's continued improvement probably has a big influence on the defensive numbers

19. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Cleveland is currently 3rd in offensive efficiency (slightly behind Houston) at 1.081 (Houston is 1.091)
    It’s their defense that has been so porous.

Pacers 12th in offensive efficiency
    Grizz 19th
    Utah like 27th

We are beginning to see the end result of the work Bzdelik has put in with the players. The addition of Luc and Tucker.
    Players like Capela, Ryan Anderson and Harden putting in the effort on defense.

Still room for improvement with the addition of CP3 to the mix.

topfive likes this.
  20. megastahr

I think it just means he's trying really hard and isn't a complete failure defensively

I am with you on astros I just started paying attention too lol