1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets in 'strong discussions' to bring back Troy Daniels

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 12, 2014.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Meeks averaged 16 PPG on 46% FG and 41% 3PT in 77 games. Daniels doesn't have a season with those kind of numbers.

2. Cosmonaut

Cosmonaut Member

Gotta keep Daniels he may not be the best on the defensive end but he is an elite shooter. You need elite shooters with guys like harden and Howard on the the floor.

3. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

Can we not lowball Daniels and chance that another team (Dallas/Cleveland) grabs him, please?

4. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I gotta believe if we resign Daniels - then Chandler is gone.... I'd rather have Ariza AND Daniels for what will amount to 2/3s of what Cuban will be payin Parsons.... jus sayin...

5. wise_man

wise_man Member

Sign him asap.....plz dont mess around. He is the best shooter we have. F*** parsons, but sign daniels.

6. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

that's not how it works... same as Parsons, Daniels goes out and finds the best deal he can (like Parsons got offered 3/45M from Dallas)... then the Rox decide if they would like to pay the contract that has been offered and retain the player - or let the other team have him for that contract.... that's how restricted free agency works....

7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

at least Rockets aren't "heavily engaged".

8. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

I think it's highly likely that we can afford Parsons and Daniels.

9. photojoe

photojoe Member

Gave us more capspace to try to sign a max FA (every little bit helps)

He played in so few games last year that he didn't have much exposure, causing a lower contract. If he played all of next season and continued to have a great shooting year, he would be much more expensive

10. photojoe

photojoe Member

That's not really the way it works. We should be able to get Ariza, Daniels AND Parsons.

Expensive, yes. But Parsons has a short deal and we could trade them later if we needed to- much better than Parsons walking for nothing

11. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

Daniels being an RFA is a smart move on the part of Morey. I fully expect him to go above our expectations, and we will have a sound enough contract in place, without facing the threat of another team signing him.

12. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

Do what ever you can to bring him back!

Im sure he wants to stay in Houston too. *knock on wood*

13. moose

moose Member

Ariza, Daniels, and a big man would solidify our bench.

14. Zergling

Zergling Member

Daniels would be a nice acquisition. Remember, we basically didn't have him at all last year in the regular season, so having him next year alone could give us 1-2 wins.

15. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

i think more than 1-2 wins if we use him right..hes a good shooter. and morey cited him as the best pure shooter since novak on the squad..

they would actually have to run plays for him..i don't think we run plays though.

16. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

We can go over the cap in re-signing our RFAs--Parsons, Daniels.

Until we trade Asik, we're capped out already. We need to trade Asik before signing Parsons so we can still have around $8M in capspace to sign someone else. If Asik goes after the Parsons signing, no cap room is created. But we have the trade exceptions and the the MLE and BAE to work with. Morey can sign good role players with those.

17. travfrancis

travfrancis Member

I like all three of these guys (especially Daniels), but let's be honest none of them individually are a sure thing as a quality rotation player. The backup point guard position is completely up for grabs and there will be some spare minutes available at shooting guard - may the best man win.

18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I don't think it's unreasonable for Daniels to find a deal where he gets paid $12m/4yrs, maybe even more. I think he's worth it too - he's every bit as good as a Steve Novak or a Kyle Korver. Can't really defend anyone, but will try to do so, and will nail 3pters easily for the rest of his career. That's the kind of guy I would love to have in the rotation.

Considering Harden has been less awful at guarding 3's than he has been at guarding 2's, it's easy to see a small ball line up with Daniels at the 2. Hell, he might even be able to play the 1 if Harden is bringing the ball up.

19. benchmoochie

i think he has the potential to play defense. the college team he played on was like 48 mins of defense. so he has some team defense conceptualization.

20. benchmoochie

i think ariza would split time between the 2/3 backing up jh and cp. so daniels may get like 7-12 min a game in situations we need to spread the floor.