1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Hot Topic Question #3: Who Will Lead The Team In Scoring?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MacBeth, Oct 4, 2003.

?

Who will be the Rockets leading scorer this season?

Poll closed Nov 3, 2003.
  1. Steve Francis

205 vote(s)
    52.6%
  2. Cuttino Mobley

11 vote(s)
    2.8%
  3. Yao Ming

169 vote(s)
    43.3%
  4. Current Rocket not named ( please identify)

3 vote(s)
    0.8%
  5. Player yet to be acquired.

2 vote(s)
    0.5%
  1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I didn't even mention him in my post. ;)
    I'm in, "I'll believe it when I see it" mode with Eddie. With Taylor going down for awhile, Griffin has his chance for minutes early. Sounds like with JVG, he's going to have to earn them. I hope he does... it'd be a pleasant surprise.

I like the first part of your post. So much depends on how Yao handles the entire season and what Francis does to improve his game and buy into Van Gundy's system.

2. hael_w

hael_w Member

I hope YAO will be the No.1 scorer.
    But SF is still the leader of Rockets.

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yeah, I still feel like Francis will be the team's leading scorer. I am predicting Yao will average around 17ppg and 9rpg this year, up from 13.5 and 8. I think those numbers are similar to how he played last December when he was at the apex of his game. I think this year Yao will be more "consistant" which is the first step to being the team's main scoring weapon.

I think Francis will still score around 20ppg for this team. I definitely feel there will be a shift from Francis to Yao but I don't think Yao is ready to be "the guy" yet.

4. dbigfeet

dbigfeet Member

JVG would have to make complete, total, ratical changeg in the offence that no one would ever for see for Steve not to be the leading scorer. either that or injury

5. CRC

CRC Member

hehe... how much do you want to pay for my expertise :D

I had quite a few accurate predictions lately, including Yao's arrival date. Oh, & interesting to see Francis' poll % rise up significantly after I revealed my predictions. Coincidence? :D

6. harumph

harumph Member

francis 22ppg
    cat 19ppg
    yao 17ppg, 11rpg

Yao will get about the same number of shots pg, with the big difference being that they will be from a good scoring position on the floor. the guards will get their points from better shot selection under less pressure due to teams having to play "honest" defense on Yao... plus some habits are too hard to break this quickly.

7. munco

munco Member

I agree with Yao getting shots in better scoring position, but I can't imagine him getting less than 10 shots/game. He played around 30 min/game last year and I'd be surprised if he doesn't get more PT this year.

8. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

You think Yao will avg single digitfga's/game this year? Hmmm...I hope you're wrong, no offense to you.

In my opinion both Yao and Steve have to average around 20 fga/game...and other players much less. We need to establish roles and order.

9. harumph

harumph Member

i guess i did screw up my maths a little, but was working/estimating on the pessimistic side of things, rather than what i would like. i put all the figures down a little on what i hope they'll truely be. i also hope we have several players averaging in the low teens in scoring.

Yao shooting 55% and getting 12 -15 high percentage shots a game would prob average out to a bit over 20ppg with trips to the FT line, put backs & bail out shots.

10. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

Cat .......................seriously, with all the swing players brought in this offseason he will be motivated to demonstrate he is the one who should start and more importantly finish games.

11. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Francis, then Yao.

Similar to a running game in football opening up the passing game, the post up game of Yao will open up Stevie's game even more, and vice versa.

There will be more of a "click" this year in the offense. "Hitting on" more of "all 8 cylinders," if you will.

As time goes on Yao's numbers may eclipse Stevie's, but probably not before the end of the year... after all, Stevie is still Stevie. He'll take, make, miss and force the shots, until he takes and makes again. But that's what you're supposed to do as a scorer (PG with an SG's heart).

Btw- I in no way want to see Francis become the 2 as a starter, but if Pike or someone starts to flow in the PG role off the bench (even Mooch), I see some limited 2 time coming... if only in certain called situations. I don't think it would hurt in the right situation, but the PG is more important in title alone to him personally... at least IMHO... and JVG probably has deduced that enough to not upset the shaky balance that already exists in Francis' mind about "titles" (no not rings... descriptors).

Cat may finish third... maybe Griffin.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

After seeing the results of the recent preseason games, especially the last one with Yao going off for 29 at a rediculous percentage, I thought it was worth bringing back this thread. It looks like MacBeth and I, along with Andymoon (sorry Andy, but you might be wrong about Eggie!) and a couple of others, may have been on target. Let's hope we were conservative!

Anyway, check out the thread and add your thoughts based on the last few games, if you care to. And you can still vote in MacBeth's poll. Enjoy.

13. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

So far u guys r right but you should remember that the opps had not doubled Yao much. They certainly will in the regular season. No coach in his right mind will allow a center shooting 60%+ to operate 1 on 1 the whole night.

14. nafstekcor

nafstekcor New Member

Yao: 20
    Francis: 20
    Mobes: 15

15. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

wow, Yao is beaten by somebody else in a poll. where're those Yao only fans??:p

16. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

As much as I admire Steve Francis as an athletic Basketball Player, I still see problems when considering his leadership and playmaking abilities. It is his personal standards of Leadership and being the 'Best' that I think will cause him to strive for and even prevent anyone from overtaking him as the 'Best' player on the Rockets.I would like Steve Francis to be happy with being the best Leader and Playmaker, because he isnt going to be happy if he insists on being the top scorer, JVG just wont let him.

17. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

I may have been off on EG, but last night (along with the last 3 preseason games) really showed me how much more Yao brings to the table this year. Last night, they were fronting him (which he had problems with last year) and he STILL got 29. I believe that as SF and CM note Yao's improved offensive skills, they will get him the ball more, especially if they are winning.

I have revised my estimate as it seems that Yao has made a bigger improvement than I initially thought. I think Yao will improve to 22-25 ppg, surpassing SFs 20-22.

18. munco

munco Member

I think the poll results would be different if conducted now. Yao has been putting up big numbers in limited time. I would probably vote for Steve, I have a feeling Yao might win the popular vote.

19. Sane

Sane Member

I think it's fair to assume that they'll both score like 20.1 ppg.

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Both Yao and Francis will avg. in the low 20s. Francis will score his share. Yao's increase will mostly come from Mobley's decrease.

The 2, 3, and 4 positions are still up in the air, with injuries and EG's problem. It'll remain to be seen how much these positions occupy the scoring pie.

BTW, anybody predict Cato to be the leading assist man? :D