1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Rockets History] The Rockets almost moved to Louisville

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Apr 9, 2014.

?

Rockets staying in Houston instead moving to Kentucky

1. Clutch and Jeff show that Clutchfans is a force for justice and good

39 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Why would a team move to Louisville? it's not like a team would move to Memphis!

14 vote(s)
    17.9%
  3. Owners really care about new arenas, they don't care where they build them

11 vote(s)
    14.1%
  4. Sucks, It would be have been LINtucky

14 vote(s)
    17.9%
  1. bmd

bmd Member

Jtr said he's been to Louisville. I haven't. But looking at the numbers, Louisville has larger populations than New Orleans, OKC, and Memphis in both the city limits and the metro area.

Why can OKC support a team and Louisville cannot?

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

SOR was huge because it gave the Rockets leverage in putting political pressure on the city to build that new arena. Letting the Rockets go to another city would have been a disaster.

I don't remember the details of the arena or if it was a fair deal, but I am glad you Houstonians didn't let the team move. It would have been weird to root for the Liouville Rocket - not sure I could do it.

I always wondered why the team had to be in Houston since I don't have much attachment to the city and live in NYC nowadays. But it did. Fandom is bizarre.

3. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

You are missing the point. JTR is always right, he is more knowledgeable and smarter then everyone on this board. Its like Divine Command Theory, anything he says is right by definition. :/

4. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Here's a thread to be proud of

Sarcasm everywhere.

We almost lost the rockets!

5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

OKC is still in the honeymoon phase. They inherited a good team that went to the finals right off the bat. In 10 years, it may not be the same story. However, if the team is very well managed, it might be. Small markets cling to winners, especially when its the only ticket in town. If the team goes through any lulls... good luck.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The fact that jtr is still denying that these events occurred is an insult to the saveourrockets campaign done by Jeff and Clutch, the original 99ers.

An insult to them is an insult to all 99ers.

He is an enemy of the 99ers and we need to exorcise him of his fake fanness.

7. tinman

Supporting Member

jtr

thinks this isn't real. he's fake clutchfan. clutchfans love jeff and clutch cause they are the purest form of clutch city not in uniform

http://www.clutchfans.net/feature.cfm?FeatureID=65

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm glad the referendum ultimately passed. I voted for it both times.

But I was skeptical then...and I remain so now...that Les Alexander was seriously contemplating moving his franchise (around which he spends considerable time) to Louisville, Kentucky.

9. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

If he didn't care about the money then Harden would still be in OKC and they would have a dynasty.

10. MadMax

I think he cares about money now that the team is there...but come hell or high water, he wanted a team in his hometown. That's why he bought them in the first place. Totally different scenario than here with Les.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

Thank you Jeff and Clutch. We still remember what you do did.

12. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

All well and good, thanks for the history

But what about standing for the REST of fans. For ALL TRUE fans

This is one overly self-inflated member against an overly self-inflated inner circle group.

A great majority of people wont CARE about EITHER of you

Still, keep fighting the peculiarly isolationist but good fight

13. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Really Rockets should make more money than other Nba team. They are the fourth largest city in the nation and 5th largest metropolitan area. NYC and LA have two teams and Chicago is the slowest growing large city in America. Combine with the fact that they second most fortune 500 headquarters and the fastest growing metroplex in the country things are looking better each and every day for the city.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

Just because I like my brothers doesn't mean the rest of Clutchfans is great too!

It's like we are Wu Tang Clan and we like to rep the Wu, but we like the rest of the hip hop nation too.

Killa bees on a swarm!

15. tinman

Supporting Member

you have to keep in mind this was the year 2000. Houston was a very different city.

They had an NFL team leave.

16. ch44

ch44 Member

I live in KY. Louisville could easily support an NBA team. Kentucky doesn't have any professional sports teams, but basketball is easily the most popular sport here. College basketball specifically. UK and UL are the cream of the crop, so while the Louisville Rockets might never be the most popular team in the state, it doesn't mean they won't have problems selling out the arena.

Louisville even has a better basketball arena than Houston. The KFC Yum! Center opened in 2010 and holds just over 22,000 people. The Toyota Center opened in 2003 and holds just over 18,000. Louisville catered their arena more toward the fan instead of the business man, IMO.

It's not the most populous city, or the wealthiest, but the residents spend their money on sports entertainment. If they were able to pick up a fan favorite like Anthony Davis, John Wall, Julius Randle.. even Russ Smith. It would be even bigger to get a team with history and talent (Thunder) instead of a new franchise (Bobcats) - but that would be true for any city.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

Do they really sell KFC at the stadium?? that's better than the $5 french fries at Toyota Center.

18. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

While in terms of population and economic power, we are fairly high up there, in terms of entertainment value, Houston does not much to offer:

- Galveston is a dumb as far as alluring beaches are concerned
    - Houston is incredibly smoggy, humid, and polluted, without Hollywood to compensate

We are primarily a football city and yet we also lost our original football team. Either way, life sucks sometimes and for us, sports team has been more bittersweet usually than rewarding.

19. MadMax

NBA franchises are concerned with selling to a corporate base. The ticket prices far exceed the events that the KFC Yum! Center is hosting. It's a completely different fanbase.

I'm not saying Louisville is incapable of hosting an NBA franchise....I'm saying:

1. It's not even a close comparison between Houston as a market and Louisville as a market; and

2. I don't believe Les Alexander, given what I know of Les Alexander, was seriously considering moving his franchise and his time to Louisville, Kentucky.

20. tinman

Supporting Member

Plus nobody watches the Astros

http://blog.chron.com/ultimateastros/2014/04/09/astros-match-last-years-0-0-tv-rating/

Once again the Astros played a game this week and, according to the Nielsen Company, nobody in Houston was watching on Comcast SportsNet Houston.

Nielsen’s Houston ratings report for Monday shows a 0.0 rating for households, adults 25-54 and men 25-54 for the afternoon Angels-Astros game at Minute Maid Park. The Angels won the game 9-1.