1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets History: Scottie Pippen

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Jul 27, 2009.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just 'refreshing' some people's memory here

http://clutchfans.net/news/54/quitten_bashes_rockets_again/
    Quitten bashes Rockets (again)
    SUMMER OF 1999
    By Clutch
    Copyright 1999 ClutchFans.net
    Looks like Scottie Quitten (though he says he wasn't quittin') is at it again. After one preseason game, Scottie is bashing the Rockets and freeing himself of blame. Said Humpty-Hump: "Well, well. It doesn't look like things are going too good in Houston. I mean, a team that's all new and improved gets beat pretty bad. A team that's going to run and have a wide-open offense can only score 88 points. Anybody who knows about basketball knows where the Houston Rockets are now. They are not a championship contender. Not by a long, long shot, and they won't be with the personnel they have. I'll tell you, it doesn't look good from my point of view." Quitten goes on and on .... and also includes Hakeem Olajuwon this time around in his criticisms of the Rockets.

2. tinman

Supporting Member

Charles tipped more than Pippen

Here, one of our best posters gives us something you can't find on basketball-reference.com or youtube
    http://clutchfans.net/news/58/barkley_making_friends/

Barkley making friends
    SUMMER OF 1999
    By Clutch
    A friend of mine ate at NXNW, a trendy, new brew pub in Austin, this weekend and when talking to one of the staff at the restaurant, was told that Charles Barkley stopped by the establishment for drinks, etc. the previous Wednesday (when the Rockets were in Austin for camp) and ended up picking up the tab for the entire bar.... to the tune of over $16,000. So Scottie, what have you done for anyone lately?

3. tinman

Supporting Member

BlackKnight,

you can't find this on any stats site or nba article archive.
    This type of blunt truth is only on CLUTCHFANS! :D

http://clutchfans.net/feature.cfm?FeatureID=26

"I'm very happy to be here. I realize what this franchise means. I want to bring a championship to the city of Houston. There's been a lot of hard work over the last few hours to try and get this deal done. I just hope we put as much hard work on the floor this season. I'm just looking forward to the season. The fans here have been very supportive of me being in Houston. I want to thank you guys for sticking around and waiting."

Cheryl Miller: Scottie, has it been hard working in with the new team at all?

Scottie Pippen: No, it hasn't. I think these guys make my transition coming in really easy. They welcomed me and the opportunity to come in and sort of step in where Clyde (Drexler) was a year ago has been an easy transition for me. I've enjoyed the opportunity of coming and training with Charles and Hakeem and playing for Rudy (Tomjanovich), and it's a great opportunity for me to play with a great center and also a great power forward — two future Hall of Famers.

Miller: So you're telling me that Charles actually made your transition easy?

Pippen: Yes, pretty easy. Very easy. (laughter)

Miller: In '93, you two (Scottie and Charles) went toe-to-toe in the Finals. Six years later playing on the same team, did you think that would ever happen?

Pippen: I was hoping some day I'd have the opportunity to play with Charles. I think he's a guy that comes out, he plays hard, he's a gamer. I had the opportunity to play with him in two Olympics and at All-Star Games so I know the total package he brings to the game.

Miller: What are some of the things people don't know about Charles?

Pippen: I think people just don't know the mentality of how hard he really works and the package he brings to the game. You know he's never been voted to the All-Defensive Team, but it may be to the point where people just don't understand what type of defense he plays. I think he is a great team defensive player, maybe just not a one-on-one individual defender. I think he brings a lot to the team from a team defensive standpoint — being able to go and help out and block shots.

Miller: Scottie you have six rings. Hakeem, you have two. Is this season the "Win one for Charles" year?

Pippen: I feel like it. I think having Charles really campaign to get me here shows me that he wants to win a championship. I'm one of those players that when June comes, I want to be still playing and Charles deserves to have a championship. He has had a great career, and he's one of the top players in a lot of categories in the game. He deserves to have a championship, and I'd love to have the opportunity to say I helped him win it.

Miller: Scottie, you've won six championships, is it important to you to win one without Michael?

Pippen: It's important from a personal standpoint, but I think this organization has invested a lot in me to come here and put this team back at a championship level. I want to feel like it's my responsibility to get them there, and I'm going to do whatever I can to make sure this team gets to a championship level.

4. aghast

aghast Member

1. Olajuwon demanded to be traded at one point, and wasn't. The GM/ownership at the time refused to sell low, and they resolved their differences. No one holds that against Dream. Players demand trades all the time, and don't always get their way. Doesn't CD deserve blame for trading Pippen for such low value in return? Pippen was under contract at the time, and other than calling out his teammates (which he'd already done) he had little leverage. Dawson couldn't have gotten a better deal a few months down the road, when things had cooled off?

2. Pippen was still voted first-team all-NBA in defense that year, which is surprising if you insist he was valued so poorly leaguewide during his stay. Pippen put up quite respectable numbers (14.5/6.5/5.9/2 steals) for being an afterthought/third wheel in the offense. (When Francis averaged six & six Rockets considered him a conquering hero.) Pippen's field goal percentage dropped 15 points from what it had been the season before, but it jumped back up when he went to Portland (where on a talent-laden team he assumed a role as first or second among equals). Ergo, the Rockets system (him shooting long range jumpers) was largely at fault for Pippen's reduced play.

The Rockets did indeed get garbage back for Pippen. CD's fault, not Pippen's. They then resigned some of that garbage to incredibly overvalued contracts. CD's fault, not Pippen's. Worse, if memory serves they agreed with Portland to almost immediately cut Augmon & Shaw, who turned around and proved valuable as backups on playoff teams. (Augmon could still amoeba-defend with the best of them. Shaw wound up as an assistant, I think; he couldn't have taught Francis how to be a better point guard during his rookie year?)

Pippen had a down year with the Rockets in a system that was particularly ill-suited for his abilities. Yes, he dribbled the ball off his foot during the playoffs. That does not prevent a recognition that he is still one of the greatest players to ever pick up a basketball.

5. tinman

Supporting Member

Rudy made so many adjustments to make Pippen happy.

Not only did he dribble off his foot. One game he was chicken to take the big shot, passed it to Cuttino who was a rookie, Cat missed and Pip blamed him.

Cat was claiming Pippen was his favorite player too!

This is what Dream said:
    http://clutchfans.net/news/8/dream_on_pip/
    Dream on Pip
    SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 11, 1999 12:00 AM CST
    By Clutch
    Hakeem Olajuwon says the Rockets and Scottie Pippen just need to decide which direction they want to head. "If they don't trade him, he should apologize and also do the best he can for the team," said the Dream. Some new Pippen rumors have surfaced, but none carry a tremendous amount of weight and go against Caroll Dawson's statement that Pippen would be back.

6. tinman

Supporting Member

Man its too easy to win these points, all I have to do is use this dude Clutch's articles ;)

http://clutchfans.net/news/3/not_many_high_on_scottie_in_rockets_office/
    Not many high on Scottie in Rockets' office
    WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 15, 1999 12:00 AM CST
    By Clutch
    We continue to have multiple sources tell us that the Rockets organization is pretty upset with Scottie Pippen, and not just because of the trade demand. According to one, Les Alexander is so upset with Scottie, having paid so much to get him and gotten little and a slap in the face on return, that he's willing to unload him for less than market value so long as he doesn't get sent to LA, where Pippen requested to be. According to Jeff Balke, Scottie is being offered "not just because of his comments about being traded but because he's not the player the Rockets thought he was going to be... on the court or off the court."

7. aghast

aghast Member

Come on. I remember those years. When Olajuwon or Barkley went out, they ran the same darned back-to-the-basket, pound the ball in post play nonsense for Othella Harrington. There wasn't any recognition of the talents of the players involved on the floor, very little cutting off the ball, no creativity.

Othella Harrington!

8. aghast

aghast Member

What point were you proving, exactly?

So it's CD's & Alexander's faults that they got so little in return? Okay, I accept that.

9. tinman

Supporting Member

Scottie ticked off the organization so much they were willing to get garbage back to spite him so that he can't go to the team that he wanted to go.

Imagine if Tmac said trade me to the Lakers, and Les traded him to the Griz and got 23 mill in garbage players so that Tmac wouldn't go to the Lakers

10. aghast

aghast Member

I wouldn't blame McGrady for ownership's/management's poor impulse control.

I doubt sincerely Alexander runs his business the way he runs his hobby/team.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

The point is nobody has ever ticked off Les and the Rockets like that they were willing to toss him for crap.
    You see that post that HAKEEM THE DREAM THE LEGEND THE HERO said that Pippen should Apologize??

That's the humble Dream talking, so that means Pippen really ticked people off.

12. aghast

aghast Member

The same HAKEEM THE DREAM THE LEGEND THE HERO that at one point demanded to be traded after ownership/management pissed him off?

Would you be carrying the same grudge years later for Olajuwon as you do for Pippen if management had foolishly agreed to trade him, and the Rockets wound up with Rony Seikaly and spare change and became similarly mired in mediocrity for years afterward?

13. tinman

Supporting Member

you are comparing completely different situations and completely different management.

1. Pippen was there for 1 year proclaiming that he will help the Rockets win the championship. Pippen wasn't accusing anybody of anything. he was just insulting the team, the fans, and the management.
    He wanted a trade cause he couldn't handle the responsibility.

2. Hakeem was angry that the previous management accused him of faking an injury. He considered being traded cause he was insulted.

I'm giving you the best articles on the situation written by Member#1.

14. ThaBlackKnight

Good find...if only he accepted his declining ability/athleticism better and CD recognized his declining ability/athleticism

15. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Thanks Tin,

Barkley didn't run Pippen out of town.... Pippen left on his own, he quit on the Rockets and on Charles...

Charles has a lot of faults, but he never quit on his teammates.

16. aghast

aghast Member

You're whitewashing here.

1. All players that sign with a team proclaim they're there to help win a championship, and I'd venture to guess all of them mean it. It's a well-worn platitude.

2. Olajuwon didn't "consider" a trade; he demanded one publicly, calling out the owner & management. He was accused of malingering after the team doctor cleared him for an injury. (Malingering is something superstars do when they're upset with their current teams. It's something many here and, if memory serves, I believe you accused McGrady of doing last year. Outside of personal biases, evidence for McGrady faking last year is no better than evidence for Olajuwon faking the year he demanded a trade. On point, Pippen couldn't be accused of malingering, as he played in all games that season and led the team in minutes.)

So, answer the question. If the Rockets' then-management had fulfilled Olajuwon's demand to be traded during or after his off-year (He scored five more points, shot 2.7% better, rebounded and assisted an extra ball per game, and played through the entire 82 the next year, after the reconciliation.), a year in which Olajuwon was similarly dissatisfied, would you now blame Olajuwon for that trade?

Would you now blame Olajuwon, and not the owner/GM, if management had indeed traded Olajuwon for pennies on the dollar, (as the rumor goes) in this case for Seikaly, Willie Burton, and a younger Brian Shaw (who, I'm sure, they would have immediately cut so he could latch onto a playoff contender)? Would you blame Olajuwon if the Rockets subsequently resigned Seikaly to a $100 million dollar deal? Would you blame Olajuwon if managment's decisions to trade him and resign inferior players to outsized contracts inevitably led to team mediocrity for years to come (and not instead back-to-back titles)?

Or are you happy that cooler heads prevailed, management shifted/worked to allay Olajuwon's distrust (though ultimately it was repaired by a new owner), and Olajuwon fulfilled his promise as the greatest player in Houston history?

Don't you think it's imbecilic to blame a player not just for what he himself actually says or does on the floor or off it, but for the mistakes management makes in dealing with / dealing him? (You do seem to argue that Rockets brass can be in error, with Olajuwon.)

You can't blame Pippen just because he had an off-year, as so did Olajuwon in a similar case. You can't blame Pippen for publicly airing his grievances against management, as so did Olajuwon in a similar case. You can't blame Pippen because he got a DUI (later dismissed), as so did Tomjanovich in a similar case. You can't blame Pippen for demanding a trade, as so did Olajuwon in a similar case.

So what you're left with is what, you blame Pippen for calling Barkley fat & lazy while demanding that trade? Proper team / PR decorum aside, Barkley was fat & lazy! (And also one of, if not my, favorite all time players.) Barkley had indeed put on some extra weight by that point in his career; he was back to being a "Round Mound." And Pippen also mentioned Olajuwon's by-then-apparent decline, in his effort to be jettisoned? I don't think bad manners, pointing out the obvious, especially in the process of demanding a trade, is enough cause for ten years' worth of holding a grudge.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

Dude do you go to Jamba Juice?
    Cause you like to mix Apples and Oranges.

1. The Hakeem situation and the Tmac Situation and the Pippen Situation are NOT THE SAME SITUATION.
    Just because it's Rockets players vs Rockets management, doesn't make it the same thing.

Hakeem was trying to rework his contract with the Rockets and got ticked off by the accusations. We don't know this for sure, DD pointed out the Rockets might have been right. Dream was not the humble religious guy at this point in his life, he was still Mad Dream, who will throw down on you.

Tracy was about to be traded when he stopped management from doing it.

Pippen wanted to be traded cause he sucks and couldn't handle being the #1 guy on the team. He went to Portland and had plenty of more 'OFF YEARS'. He didn't lead the Blazers to anything but a beating by the Lakers and Robert Horry popping 3s on him.

Maybe you forgot all the open shots that Pippen missed and then he would blame on the 'system'.

These are the same freaking shots that Robert Horry makes in the playoffs in a completely different 'system'.

Pippen post Jordan was not Clutch, not Class, was mad at Kukoc for hitting a game winner (what a teammate right?), blames rookie Cat Mobley and the entire Rockets teams for his mistakes vs the Lakers

I don't know if you watched that year or this is just another attempt to 'give McGrady a break', but Pippen deserved all the hate he got.

Clutch wrote it, I believe in Clutch and I believed in the Rockets cause I was there.

I was there for Pippen's return as a Blazer, yes Compaq Center fans can boo the roof off.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

for the couple of you who either forgot how we felt about Pippen or didn't pay attention..

Let #1 tell you

http://clutchfans.net/feature.cfm?FeatureID=27

Quitten has left the building
    SATURDAY, OCTOBER 2, 1999 12:00 AM CT
    By Clutch

Walt Williams is no Scottie Pippen... thankfully
    Scottie Pippen sealed it: His Houston Rocket career was a complete and total failure.

After unloading a vicious and brutal verbal attack on Charles Barkley on Wednesday, the Rockets sent a message back to Scottie on Friday: Get the hell out of our town.

The Rockets sent Scottie to the Portland Trailblazers on Friday for 6 players off the end of the Blazers' bench. Kelvin Cato, Walt Williams, Stacey Augmon, Ed Gray, Brian Shaw and Carlos Rogers all come south to Clutch City, while Portland becomes "Pip City".

Rudy T was the one who made the call, telling Pippen he'd been traded. "It was very professional," said Rudy. "We wished each other luck, sorry it didn't work out and let's push forward." When asked if he tried to make the relationship with Pippen work, Rudy replied, "It's a moot point. We're moving forward. ... I think we've taken a negative situation and tried to turn it into a positive."

Sir Charles also took the high road Thursday in his comments back at Scottie in the press, but you'll be happy to know sources indicated to us that initially Chuck was shocked to hear of Pippen's comments, then tried to call Scottie to say the two words that begin with a 4-letter verb and end in "you". I'd pay good money for a transcript of that conversation.

19. aghast

aghast Member

Imagine yourself five years older. Imagine that the internet also developed five years earlier, and that this site or a site such as this existed back in 1992 (and with it the ability for thousands of fans to spleen away after every close loss):

Ask your 1992 bizarro world self this: would you burn "Mad Dream" in effigy for ten years for him bailing on the team, had he successfully forced his way out? Wouldn't he have been just another player who "quit" on his team?

And in your scenario, how did he do that? McGrady underwent a career-altering/threatening knee surgery (from which only Stoudemire has returned even remotely close to his previous self), not out of need, but out of spite? He underwent a devastating knee surgery to stay in Houston for a half-season to a season-and-a-half, foregoing his next big contract and the possibility of even continuing his career, to screw over management over one trade deadline?

That was the thing, though. Pippen wasn't the #1 guy. He was paid #1 money, but when he got to the team he was the #3 guy in a two-deep offense. Either he was sold a bill of goods to convince him to come, or the Rockets really did sell him on the idea of being an afterthought on offense, a spot-up shooter from the line. Either way, one side (or both) made a serious miscalculation, for though he had never before shown aptitude in such a spot-up, tertiary role, that's the role he was given. Clearly, reading from your source above, he was not the player the Rockets imagined.

I would argue Pippen would have been happy had the Rockets truly made him #1, and designed the team around him. (I'm not sure the Rockets would have been better or worse in that scenario, that one season. Had they traded either Barkley or a declining Olajuwon to make room for Pippen's offensive slashing/creativity, and gotten market value in return, I can guarantee they would have been in better shape longterm. Olajuwon wound up in Toronto anyway, and I do remember in his last seasons Olajuwon talking in the papers about how much he'd like to end his career in Toronto. That wasn't another demand for a trade, but it was his professed longing.)

Why bring Horry into this? Past his rookie season, Horry never developed into the poor man's Pippen, as many projected. He had no handle. Horry maximized his talents and became one of the great spot-up shooters, out to three point range. He made his career as a complimentary player, off of catching passes out of the double team and jacking up 3s. That was his role. Horry may have been better suited than Pippen in that very limited role, on that team catching passes from Olajuwon & Barkley, but no one in his right mind thinks that makes Horry a better player than Pippen.

Pippen was always best as the initiator, as a cutter off the ball, able to intuitively react with the ball in or out of his hands. He's one of the best passers in the history of his position. He played worst in the Rockets offensive straitjacket, dumping the ball down low and being told to stand still for the (low) possibility of the return pass/shot. Pippen's strength wasn't as a catch-and-shoot player. I don't think this is controversial.

Wasn't class? Okay, sure. Not the first athlete, and certainly not the last, who lacked class. Many have been embraced here with open arms. (Cough, Artest, cough.)

Wasn't clutch. He was plenty clutch throughout his career. But you're right, if you're only counting the Lakers series. I'll give you that.

I think you're writing a skewed history of the era. I was living out of town, and discovered Clutch City before that year, as a way to keep up with my hometown. (I've been reading this site long enough to remember your writing when you posted infrequently, before you created your long-standing schtick. Long before you morphed into the self-appointed historian of the team / Mad Max apologist-in-residence, I remember your schtick began when out of the blue you began calling Horry Will Smith, and insisted that they were one and the same person. Ahem, years of hilarity ensued.)

As I recall, public/BBS opinion was decidedly mixed on Pippen, while he was here. He was about where McGrady was the season before last, or late-model Francis (the Superbowl season before the Orlando trade). After the initial euphoria over his signing died down: for the solid 30%+ who hated him, and the middle which vacillated based on his performance in the most recent game, there were just as many who'd go out of their ways to excuse his missteps, up to and including the playoffs. DUI? No big deal; he was having a rough time. Aloof to fans / the media? Don't sweat it; that's just his style; didja see how many steals he had? Even after the early exit from the playoffs, and his poor finishes to those games, he still had a lot of support on this site.

It was only after he demanded/forced a trade that the tide universally turned against him. Which, as a Rockets-centric site, is fair enough. But the notion that he was having a terrible year with the Rockets before that is a false one. Below expectations, fan and his, yes. An off-year adjusting to a new/diminished role, certainly. But just the same, Pippen's season was not the disaster you make it out to be. He had a bit below par regular season, and besides rebounding, a decidedly bad (especially shooting) postseason. But his reputation as "Quitten" in Rockets fans' hearts did not become canon until after he successfully forced his way out (as others had done and tried to do before him), and the Rockets agreed to take chumps (change) in return.

The following years only cemented that reputation, for the very fact that management agreed to receive so little for him in return, and year-after-year post-Pippen Rockets fans were stuck watching a mediocre on-court product, were reminded of him every time Cato bricked another entry pass off his hands or the Wizard put up another airball. Pippen represented the last gasp of the Rockets' championship years & aspirations. It was a failed experiment.

Quoting Tomajanovich,
    A sound sentiment. Why not give up the Pippen hate, and follow it?

20. tinman

Supporting Member

You gotta be kidding me right?