1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets History: 1996-97 Rockets -things you forgot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Nov 22, 2009.

1. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

sure I talked to him last friday night at the UCLA game he was sporting his 95 championship ring as usual. Nice guy still.

(for all you MJ fans)
    BJ Armstrong was there too and he looked like he could still go to school

2. benvolio

benvolio Member

I remember the Rockets FINALLY beating the Sonics and Maloney hitting the game winner off the feed from Barkley and getting that fat contract the next year because of that one series.

I remember the clear out Malone did on Drexler to get the game winner for Stockton in the WCF.

I still have a ticket to the finals for that year that never because anything more that a reminder of what might have been.

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Barkley helped us finally get over the f'ing Sonics in 96/97 -- nuff said.

4. cuddie

cuddie Member

Fair enough. But know that I don't particularly enjoy the perpetual ramblings of a jaded History Channel fanatic in my Animal Planet or Disney channels.

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

wow, a ticket to the finals, we were that close!

6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Someone may want to give the McGrady fans a heads up on this.

7. tinman

Supporting Member

++++++++ Rep

put them on the bus and take them to school!

8. ibm

ibm Member

good thread by the op. oh, was it tinman?

a funny thread, too; reading some of the replies.

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

McGrady absolutely, definitely, unarguably relates to the 2010 roster moves.

10. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Not a McGrady thread, stay away.

Amazing that 10 years after Barkley averaged 14.6 RPG (Career High) in Philly (86-87), he averaged 13.5 RPG (2nd Highest Total) with the Rockets (96-97).

He really wanted a championship and he knew that, that year was his last chance. His body was wearing down.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

He and Rodman were in the battle for best rebounder in the league that year.

12. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Called Roundball Rock by John Tesh. You can find the song on the internet or buy it from itunes

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/V_h7Lm7C9Nk&autoplay=&fs=1&showinfo=0&showsearch=0&rel=0&f=user_favorites&app=youtube_gdata" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" wmode="opaque" width="480" height="415" id="myytplayer"></embed> <div style="font-size:0.9em;"> <a href="/watch/1462659-original-nba-on-nbc-theme-roundball-rock-john-tesh-www-tesh-com">'ORIGINAL' NBA on NBC Theme - Roundball Rock - John Tesh www.tesh.com</a> - Watch more <a href="http://vodpod.com/sports">Sports Videos</a> at <a href="http://vodpod.com">Vodpod</a>.</div>

I love this song too. It's my current phone ring.

1 person likes this.
  13. tinman

Supporting Member

This was worth making this thread! freaking awesome!

I bet Connie Selecka loved it too.

14. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

I hope you guys like this.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pODDii6Ntg8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pODDii6Ntg8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

From Dallas though.

15. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

Yea that team was nice. I wanted them to meet with the bulls so bad, but damn Utah. Damn Utah to hell.

16. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Apparantly you have trouble reading your own threads...especially after the last one you created about the Greatest players in Adelman history and started spewing crap about teams later on.

That was somewhat relevant, but this is just downright stupid.

I like that 1996-97 team just as much as the teams from then on to now.

There was NOTHING special about the fact they got knocked out.

Lemme ask you something tinman, what is it that makes you rock wood over barkley? Sure he was a great guy and he did get dissed by the team regarding contract issues, but please refresh my memory on WHERE he got the rockets.

Most of the time you post something regarding championship history its nice every once in a while even though that can get annoying.

But the Barkley years? Really? He was damn washed up at the time too. I guess if he ever decides to become a Utah GM or something you can fly with him.
    Where is all the gratitude and observations to THIS rockets team? Are you seriously going to sit in TNT broadcaster's lap the entire time for another decade until you can finally talk about this stuff?

17. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

For the sake of clarity, tinman, I would like to know why the barkley years are so important to you.

Don't bring up the paycut, sure he did, but he didn't do it b.c he loved the rockets, he did it for a championship he had hopes of earning.

Charles Barkley, disrespects the rockets after playing for them,

McCancer disrespects them over and over in a subtle manner but looks even dumber b.c he hasn't driven them to one playoff series victory.

My point is, you don't get a PRIZE for almost beating the Utah Jazz and almost making it to the finals.

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

That proved fatal for us unfortunately.

19. thegame_2234

thegame_2234 Contributing Member

I remember to loose to good players sam cassell and robert horry that last season for a old charles barkley

20. tinman

Supporting Member

this thread is about a specific year
    which many lessons are learned.

the lesson of how far you can get with veteran stars and how important your role players are.

Barkley:

was he washed up that year? how about throwing me some stats during 96-97 to prove that.

are these numbers of a washed up player?

http://www.nba.com/history/players/barkley_bio.html

Barkley was the Rockets' second-leading scorer that first season behind Olajuwon, with a 19.2 ppg and a resurgent 13.5 rpg, the second best of his career. Injuries limited him to just 53 games, but the team had a 57-25 record and made it to the Western Conference Finals, where it fell to the Utah Jazz in six games.