1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets History: 1996-97 Rockets -things you forgot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Nov 22, 2009.

1. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Boy I hated the Sonics and I was only a kid at the time. I will never forget how much I cried when the Rockets lost to the Sonics in 1995-1996 playoffs. I was only 8 years old, but I could not believe we were being dethroned :(.

About the Eddie Johnson shot, boy I ran like an idiot around the house. I was screaming and hollering. One of the best moments of my Rocket life.

Those late 90's teams is when I truly started following the Rockets and they will forever live in my heart. I saw when we won the championships and it was great, but those late 90's team with Barkley, Drexler and Olajuwon were some of my favorites. They were so much fun to watch.

2. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Dude, stop condescending. Karl Malone gave Barkley a bear hug allowing Stockton an open look. Enough with your attention whoring, superfan.

1 person likes this.
  3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qobv8yUTJ_E&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qobv8yUTJ_E&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Look again dude. looks like this validates "Things you Forgot"

Malone didn't bear hug Barkley. He bear hugged Drexler. Barkley is not suppose to guard Stockton.

Enough of what? you think I'm going to stop posting? there's a better chance of Barkley becoming the Rockets GM.

4. cuddie

cuddie Member

We get it dude, you're the biggest Rockets fan in the history of forever because you spend all of your time reminiscing about the good ol' days. But much like reliving days gone by, it gets old after a while.

I wonder, have you ever made a thread not about the past?

5. Steve_Francis_rules

If you're sick of reminiscing, why don't you stay out of this thread? It's not like you could have mistaken it for something else, it has "1996-97 Rockets" in the title.

On topic, yes I remember that team. And yes, I remember being devastated when those Jazz bastards cheated their way to a win.

6. No Chance

No Chance Contributing Member

tinman I enjoy the trips down memory lane, the are always welcomed!

t-mac1 hearing the NBA on NBC theme tune made my morining!

I use to go to the Rocket games before they moved to Houston. Was very happy when they moved to my hometown, But my memory sucks now so I enjoy the memory lane trips especialy the video clips!

7. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

This team actually started 21-2. Had a better record than the Bulls at that point. Pretty remarkable.

8. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

Try reading the description under it

Anything and everything about the Houston Rockets. Your comments from last night's game, potential roster moves, player quotes and pictures. Hell, the slower people in the group can even talk about ex-Rocket Tracy Murray.

9. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

This team was missing Sam Cassell-- a point guard that can drive to the bucket.

There was talk of getting Kevin Johnson on the team. Barkley mentioned he was in his ear. I think I heard KJ was considering it too. I don't know what happened, but he was the missing piece. I guess management wanted to stick with Matt Maloney that season.

10. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

lmao @ the matt maloney mix. he actually got one?!? i don't like to remember this year. mainly because of the way it ended. love the unis also!

11. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

I like these threads once in a while.. i didnt have access to the nba till 2000 .. so nice to get to know all the lil and big things that happened before..

tinman. i think you sud do a lot of this in the off-season. will be more entertaining because we wudnt have anythin else to do..

12. ThaShark316_28

They see me rollin....they hatin....

1 person likes this.
  13. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

I remember implanting my remote control into the middle of my TV screen when Byran Russull stole an inbound pass while standing out of bounds himself. I also recall Carla Malone having Clyde in a bear hug. :mad:

14. tinman

Supporting Member

first of all,

get this straight..

CLUTCH = Greatest Rockets fan

never claim anyone else is trying to be or is even close to it.

second,

you telling me to stop posting is like you telling Tracy McGrady to stop making money.

third,
    I've made many posts and threads about the Rockets at any given period. And Rockets history is awesome.

forth,
    you guys act like some girl spazzing out when their vampire boyfriend left you. go run around in the woods with paramore blasting in the background and look for him instead going on this thread.

15. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Simple... Barkley got hurt.. I believe it was his bicep.. Barkley was owning Utah until he got hurt.

16. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

What the hell is so important about that year in hindsight?

Lets see, we didn't win the championship that year,

the year after...

or all the way uptill now.

Sure it was one of those years of great expectations but so freaking what?

You posting this as if nobody else knew , or the people who didn't couldn't just google it is pretty sad.

Excuse me while I go post 2008-2009 stuff people MAY have forgotten.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

apparently you haven't been reading this thread. It's like you are going to McDonalds looking for a Whopper with Cheese.

Good, go find me some Stephen A Smith interviews or something.

18. cuddie

cuddie Member

1) You seem to be compensating by posting nothing but Rockets history in an attempt to prove your dedication.
    2) I never told you to stop posting, only that your posts are repetitive and predictable.
    3) Your posts/threads always seem to fall into two categories: a. WOW OUR PLAYERZ SUCK NOW REMEMBER (insert obscure Rockets player)? HE WAS HELLOF BETTER. or b. LOLZ REMEMBER (insert obscure year)? I DO!
    4) Uhh...nice Twilight reference I guess? If anything, you seem to be describing yourself. Calm down.

19. tinman

Supporting Member

think of Clutchfans as directv. If you don't want to watch the History Channel then go turn to the channel that you really want to watch
    like Animal Planet or Disney

Let the other posters like tmac_1 or pete chillcutt contribute without all that noise that we can't tivo through

20. Steve_Francis_rules

Barkley got hurt in 98. Another painful loss to Utah.