1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets hire Elston Turner as lead assistant

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Oh my god what an incredible coincidence, the front office decision ended up saving them money!

pippendagimp likes this.
  2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I'm wondering when they're going to contact me about the video editing job. I keep checking my inbox.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...-Rockets-Elston-Turner-is-hungry-14089589.php

As the lead assistant on the Rockets’ staff, Turner will run the defense, much as Jeff Bzdelik had the previous three seasons and Turner had under Rick Adelman with the Rockets, Kings and Trail Blazers.

How the Rockets attempt to do that remains to be determined. Turner said he is “analyzing” their defense and personnel from last season before drawing conclusions about what to run. D’Antoni said that if the roster remains unchanged, the schemes those players execute best are also unlikely to change.

“I think the last three years we maximized defensively (the abilities of the roster),” D’Antoni said. “We were (second) after the All-Star break. The year before, we were second the last half of the season. We try to do what’s best for our personnel. But everybody has their personality and does things a little bit differently.”

D’Antoni had to have been worried about how the staff would come together after losing Bzdelik. Landing Turner alleviated that, with assistant Matt Brase elevated to replace Roy Rogers.

“I’m really happy with Elston and think he’ll do a great job,” D’Antoni said. “At the same time, I thought Jeff did a great job, too.

The Rockets last season switched defensively as often, and maybe more often, as any team in the league but not as often as in the previous season. They moved more toward using “switch groups,” determining when to switch and not, and varied things a bit based on opponents.

Turner said he values the ability to play a variety of schemes effectively, but determining and running what his players do best remains the top priority.

“I like variety,” Turner said. “Just like you can’t run one play the whole game, the same with defense. One way of playing doesn’t work for 30 different teams. Just being real general, you play according to your opponents’ strengths and weaknesses. And you have to be flexible.”

D’Antoni is known for allowing his lead assistant to have great freedom to run his defense, including how much time he needs in meetings and practices. It is a role Turner has long held, including in his previous four seasons with the Rockets.

With that, hiring Turner was not a leap of faith by the team.

“Rick put me in charge of that area of the team,” Turner said. “He left me alone and let me do it. It empowered me. It allowed me to make mistakes. Management, they’ve seen my work before. You have to be conscious of the way the game has trended with the 3s, pace being picked up, defensive rules changes. Things have changed a little bit, but I’m up for the job. Happy to get it.”

FrontRunner likes this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Seen Elston coach D before, not bad. Would still have preferred to hire Erman.

Is staff locked now, can Erman be hired to assist Elston? How does it hurt to have another set of eyes, especially with how successful and beloved Wrman has been in such a short time?

5. Nook

Nook Member

“Damn it Daryl, in my restaurant I went from 6 managers to 1 and we did fine. You don’t need so many assistants.” - Tillman F

6. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

Landing Turner? Let me guess, Jonathan Feigen?

And what about the other coaches that were let go? When will the Rockets "land" their replacements?

I really hope the new guy pans out, but under the circumstances I don't think he and MDA are going to be here past next season.