1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets "heavily engaged" with Chris Bosh

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 6, 2014.

?

Do you like the Rockets offering a full max deal to Chris Bosh?

1. YES

778 vote(s)
    71.0%
  2. NO

318 vote(s)
    29.0%
  1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Anyway, I might be wrong and I certainly have been before, but I'm just not high on spending that much on Bosh while completely dumping the roster down to like 5 players. I mean sure maybe he'll play great or maybe he'll get randomly shot by a sniper again during a game

[​IMG]

I think this play is basically a metaphor for my concerns about what he might do if the Rockets sign him.

2. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

Some of you guys are unbelievable.

Is Bosh Charles Barkley, Karl Malone or even KG? No.

But, he's a DAMN good PF and he fits this team perfectly. Why did we go after him so hard in 2010? Because we wanted to pair him with who? Yao... a dominant big man. We have a dominant big man now.

60% of our starters last year had done nothing in the playoffs. Only Harden and Howard had (both winning conference titles). Bosh brings championship experience, a veteran presence, is an excellent teammate, can shoot the three AND mid range shot very well, plays excellent pick and roll defense and yes, can still post up and rebound. He simply wasn't asked to do much of that in Miami and even when he was, he was a PF playing a center position.

There is a very small window to win a championship in today's NBA. Wasting ONE YEAR while we have Harden and Dwight isn't smart. 30 years old is a long way from "old".... and even if we had Love (who I don't feel is as good a fit as Bosh) it would be extremely hard to hold on to him, Dwight and Harden after three years anyway.

Signing Bosh is the right move for this team NOW.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

If Morey is convinced that the advanced stats say Bosh is an elite PnR defender that is a straight slap in the face of the "doesn't want to work" argument.

He does all the stuff for the Heat that doesn't get noticed. He was forced to play in a small lineup as a center which has hurt his rebound totals doubly because he is normally pulled away from the basket but when he isn't he is fighting someone for the rebound that is usually going to be a traditional center.

His advanced stats show he is a good rebounder when he has a chance at the ball. Better than Jones for sure, and he's a much better defender and offensive player.

4. justtxyank

Morey haters who want more mid range shots are going to be thrilled as well!

5. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Who are the players that you are concerned about losing?

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well I didn't mean "work" as in work on his game, I meant he no longer wants to bang in the post, he no longer wants to do the dirty work. He already doesn't get in position to get many rebounds because of this attitude, how long before he stops defending because of it? His defense is about the only good quality he has.

7. Orange

Orange Member

YOU IDIOT WERE NOT GOING TO HAVE CAP SPACE AFTER WE RE-SIGN CHANDLER ANYWAYS!!!!!! OVERPAYING BOSH IS ONLY GOING TO AFFECT LES NOT THE ROCKETS CAP SPACE. I COULD CARE LESS IF THEY PAY HIM 30 MILLION A YEAR CUZ ITS ONLY GOING TO HURT THE OWNER.

8. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

<script height="378px" width="672px" src="http://player.ooyala.com/iframe.js#ec=FmaG5ybjpCYsC0Oam9HSJgFtR2Lm2nNZ&pbid=23b69841d9454479a6f4fcf4a8514588"></script>

9. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

Obviously you are free to stick by your assessment, but statements like he's a "bad player" are just crazy. I think you can make your argument a lot more effective without statements that out of left field.

Ask Spoelstra and Riley how "bad of a player" he is.

10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i spent an hour on the phone last night with my best friend trying to convince him that overpaying Bosh the max wasn't a bad thing. He thinks Bosh is an above average player, but not an allstar and no where near worth the max. He has a point; Bosh's numbers the last two years are suspect. But the fact is, we are better with Bosh than without him. His game would fit nicely next to Dwight. And assuming we lock up Parson's long-term, we are gonna be in the lux tax anyway. So what difference does it make if we overpay Bosh? He makes us a legit contender immediately ...and for the next 3 years. Only person it really matters to is Les, right? and he seems like he wants to win at all costs.

11. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I think letting him play out his deal is a smarter move then giving up a first round pick to get rid of him just so you can get the space to sign and overrated player.

12. justtxyank

He doesn't have an attitude that leads to less rebounds. Miami wants to play small and wants everyone to shoot jumpshots with Lebron and Wade having free dives to the basket.

He is a faceup power forward. Nothing wrong with that.

God help the league if in his second year as a 3 point shooter he gets better.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not about anyone specific, it's that we'd be going down to about 5 players and having a bench full of league minimum guys meaning that the first season would be pretty much a wasted year and with Bosh being one of the main pieces, I don't know how many seasons he has left of being a good contributor. By the time Morey built a halfway decent bench full of league minimum guys I think our window would be closed with Bosh.

14. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

bottom line:

with bosh we get by portland easily
    with bosh we pose a huge challenge to OKC
    with bosh we pose a huge challenge to LAC
    with bosh we pose a huge challenge to the Spurs

right now our PF spot is too weak - Jones is a great young player - but he is like the perfect type of player to bring off the bench in the west where almost every team has a star PF the Rockets need someone at the PF spot - whether that is another all star, or an elite defender or elite offensive player. Bosh fills that role and more importantly helps increase the teams ability to exploit the mismatch we do have with Dwight. No longer will other teams send over help so quickly from the PF spot - he will have more room to operate on offense AND be able to protect the rim on defense.

15. justtxyank

Imagine if Bosh works hard again this offseason on improving the 3 point shot and gets it up to 35-38%.

We will be killer.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Chris Bosh is literally perfect for the Rockets and as a complement to Howard.

Howard is a poor free throw shooter.... Bosh is over 80%;

Howard is a very good post defender but is not good in PNR... Bosh is elite in PNR defense;

Howard attracts a lot of attention inside and needs a stretch PF.... Bosh is one of the 3 best mid range shooting PF's in the NBA;

The Rockets do not have a back up 5, and Bosh played the 5 spot 75% of the time last year.

It is very close to a perfect fit.

1 person likes this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

Last year was the first year Bosh really attempted 3's and hit 34% and 40% in the playoffs... his mid range shot % is very high. It is very likely that Bosh shots at least 34% next year, if not higher... I would "guess" 36-37%.

18. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

What available player right now is a better fit or signing for the Rockets than Bosh?

19. ForTheWinYes

ForTheWinYes Member

Bosh's defensive rebounding percentage has been the same since he went to Miami.

20. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

They will be getting players like that anyways with the only difference being that they won't have Bosh on the team. The first year won't be a waste with a roster made up of the starting five from last year plus Bosh because a lot of chemistry will be there. Bosh will be brought in to compliment an already good team and you will get veteran guys to sign on for cheap to play with them. Bosh gives them great floor spacing and defense which will be huge. You get Bosh and then you fill in the rest.