1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets have worst defense over last 2 weeks [NBA.com]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OTMax, Feb 1, 2016.

1. OTMax

OTMax Member

2. ksny15

ksny15 Member

It's all Hardens fault doe

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Harden played decent defense last 2 games, after 3 years of ****ty defense you cant blame him now. He is now eligible for DPOY or MIP.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">HOUs Missed DBlockouts/100 Opps doubled from 1.5 last season to 3.0 now <a href="https://t.co/LWlEGRKGxY">https://t.co/LWlEGRKGxY</a> via <a href="https://twitter.com/VantageSports">@VantageSports</a> <a href="https://t.co/0HwxkIsfKG">pic.twitter.com/0HwxkIsfKG</a></p>&mdash; Jordan Foley (@3ptTheHardenWay) <a href="https://twitter.com/3ptTheHardenWay/status/694211109897670660">February 1, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Missing Jones last year was fine, missing DMo this year is not fine.

5. OTMax

OTMax Member

So Kevin Love then? ;)

6. ibm

ibm Member

defense is mostly about effort and willingness, a little about schemes etc.

it says sth. about this team's professionalism, imo.

7. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

The Rockets have no coherent defensive gameplan. Gambling for steals, switching on every possession, and letting guys blow by you at will is not going to lead to a lot of stops. Unfortunately this is probably gonna continue until next summer when hopefully they get a new head coach who knows what the hell he's doing. The problem is will it be too late by then(i.e. will Dwight and maybe a few others bolt?)?

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Just getting DMo back and never letting Jones see the court would help but sure, Love would also help.

9. Risingred

Risingred Member

I totally agree. Can anyone explain why we are always switching?

10. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Why are you surprised? When you play 4 vs 5 defense for many possessions, this **** happens.

11. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

in a league with 30 teams, we are 2nd worst at allowing most pts after the kings

12. OTMax

OTMax Member

McHale never put much effort into teaching our guys difficult schemes on defense. He says this group didn't even understand simple instructions so the bar was set very low. Switching is easy, lazy and just the way McHale instructed us.

13. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

This.

I been saying it all year, there is no discipline with this group defensively. The only good defenders on this team is Dwight/Ariza/Smith. The problem is that every body else is so bad that there is no way to cover up their short comings. Harden/Bev/Brewer let every body blow right by them and when Dwight attempts to alter the shot, no one has his back and is there to block out his man. The philosophy of sucking in the defender into Howard would work great if someone would just box out his man.

Another problem is all the ball watching. Even when they don't ball watch, they are so lazy fighting through the picks. It's extremely sad to watch our team leave three point shooters open time and time again. They are just too late to contest because the defender is usually either sagging off too much, ball watching or expects his teammate to switch thus not fighting through picks.

I cannot believe just how bad we are defensively. The problem is that we have too many dumb/lazy defenders on the team. Jones is lost half the time. Corey is always gambling for steals and even he stays with his man he can't seem to move fast enough or use his length at all. Bev does hustle, but usually he is either way too aggressive or just can't stay with his man either.

If I were there teammates, it would be extremely hard to stay motivated defensively throughout games. I think it's all about discipline and getting rid of players who are just not going to get it. Primarily, I'd get rid of Jones/Brewer and think about getting rid of Lawson if possible. I'd also get a power forward who would at least try to box out every once in a while. I'd also tell JB to stop starting the small ball unit, it's not working and he needs to give it up.

14. OTMax

OTMax Member

I just hope with a new coach, comes a focus on defense, a proper system and we get rid of Jones, Brewer & Ty.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. ibm

ibm Member

^^

has jbb's fine by the league office arrived yet? just waiting to see how big it will be.

17. Bo6

Bo6 Member

it's clearly our scheme.

18. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Honestly, defense starts from the top. Coaching is a huge deal.. it's not just about effort. Its okay tho, morehboll, just neeed to jack up dem 3s!!!

19. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

Time to stop the gambling on defense and play man to man straight up.

Time to stop the switching because it just leads to more confusion.

How many times do we have to See Harden/Ariza/Brewer/Lawson/Bev look at each other with their hands up cause they didnt who was switching with who?

JB needs to do like my coach did in Practice. You switch, you coming out the game.

20. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Probably 5k

I dont see the league fining him 10% of his salary SMH