1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets have up to 12/13 mill to work with for an additional player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatBoyNick, Feb 5, 2020.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Since we aren't going to be playing two non-shooters when Harden is in the game, we need to try and snag a stretch 5 If at all possible.

I'd rather grab Keef than a lot of these more expensive, clumsy oaf centers you guys want.

3. Nook

Nook Member

JJ Reddick is interesting.

4. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

46% from three. Yes please.

5. macan

macan Member

is Kevin Love still doable or no?

6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Can we get up too 17.1m

Would love to get Evan Fournier. He would be great in the small ball group.

7. Nook

Nook Member

No.

8. Juxtaposed Jolt

Thread title: "rockets have up to 12/13 mill to work with for an additional player"

Actual thread title: "Tilman can save up to 12/13 mill by standing pat and eating at Landry's"

9. TheRedRanger

TheRedRanger Member

I think Richaun Holmes would be a really good fit. He should be our first priority imo. I think Looney is the most likely because the warriors want to avoid the repeater tax. Either of those players keep us under the Tax threshold. If a miracle happens and Tilman decides to go over the tax Thaddeus Young would be good.

#89 TheRedRanger, Feb 5, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  10. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I like keef

But there are still gonna be 15 mpg where harden and Russ aren’t on the floor tougher .... maybe during those lineups you focus on having a rim running / shot blocking guy at the 5 .

This whole idea of “more shooters , can’t play James with 2 non-shooters” is too strict. Maybe you can say we aren’t maximizing James offensive capability if we play 2 non-shooters..... but we aren’t gonna drop to 30th in offense if it happens . It depends on how much we give up on the other end too .

Part of the reason we’ve won these last couple games despite getting smashed on the boards is turnovers and getting out into transition . That comes from either the other team being sloppy , or your defense . Honestly , I think the turnovers in the last couple games are 80/20 the other team being young and sloppy. (It’s not like we were playing 2017-2018 lockdown D)

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No way we go over the Tax line.......

DD

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Okay as a buyout.

RudyTBag likes this.
  13. thekad

thekad Member

I can’t believe Tilman still has you guys fooled lmao

14. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Waiting for the "we tried adding additional players but nothing significant materialized...but we feel confident with our team moving forward" BS statement

JoeBarelyCares likes this.
  15. Juxtaposed Jolt

Nook likes this.
  16. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

17. rockets13champs

THAD YOUNG

RudyTBag likes this.
  18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed. The times that Russ/James do not share the floor, I think finding a cheap lob threat would be a nice option to have.

I think with Rob we can get back to 2017-2018 defense. When you switch everything, it confuses the hell out of NBA teams, and NBA players. The turnovers we have been seeing are very similar to what we saw in 2018, and with Rob our D is only going to get that much more frusturating to play against.

Good luck posting up the NBA's premier post defender in James Harden. Steals galore.

Good luck posting up EG, Tuck, Rob, Thabo, etc. good luck throwing entry passes with Russell F'ing Westbrook ball-hawking you...

Possum likes this.
  19. foggy94

foggy94 Member

And out of our price range

20. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

The problem won’t be posting up ... I’m very confident we will do extremely well vs that

Where the size bites us is if the other team’s activity level on the glass is high , or if they are making a consistent effort to take it to the rim. Maybe we say hey 3>2 but I’d be worried our offense is more streaky and that other teams might break our spirit on the glass.

RoCo is good but he’s not good enough to replace Ariza and Luc , so our personal is still a bit worse than 17-18 (but closer that we were before no doubt )

The main reason I think we need to pick up a lob threat is to be able to have a plan B (or just a different strategy)

In 17-18 we were able to play small , switch everything , load up with shooters ... AND then had Clint if we wanted to play that way too .

Vertical spacing , I think it’s been called in the past :) . Right now we don’t have it

We upgraded our small ball lineup

Was : WB , James , eg , house , PJ (sub house for maclemore if you wish) now it has Covington. Definitely an upgrade , tho on offense I’m not sure it’s a huge upgrade ... his role is essentialY hit 3’s .

But we’ve totally lost the ability to play a big man that’s any good :( .

I’m not convinced we have Eric enough time to come back . Russ / James , Gordon , house , PJ , and Clint only has 1 non shooter and should be a fine lineup ..

Having Covington would allow us to rest PJ more If we hadn’t also gotten rid of our starting center.

We need another piece . MDA will throw plan A all game , but we need a piece to get PJ some rest .

RudyTBag likes this.